MILA 2.0: Renegade by Debra Driza

MILA 2.0: Renegade

by Debra Driza

Series: MILA 2.0 (2)

1157156,392 (4)1

This is going to be a quickie review because most of what I say would lead to spoilers.

Renegade picks up right where Mila 2.0 leaves off. I love that Mila allows herself to take chances even when bad things can happen. Hunter is so freaking sweet, it’s unreal. He does everything he can ot be there for Mila, even after some of the events leave him mad. We also get to meet some new characters. Some of them were pretty great, but a few I wanted to smack around. I mean seriously, manipulating people is not cool.

Renegade is action packed. There were a few plot twists that I saw coming since the first book, but overall there were some nice surprises in there. We see characters I never thought we’d get a chance to. The ending was the mother of all cliffhangers, and I’m excited to see where Driza takes it in the next book.

Renegade is a great follow up to Mila 2.0. We finally get the answers to some things, but are definitely left with a few more questions. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
Review ( dream cast) coming May 8th for FFBC tour.
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
Until she falls off the back of a pickup truck in book one of this series, leaking some kind of machine fluid instead of bleeding, Mila has no idea that the gaps in her memory and the overprotective tendencies of her mother are clues to her real nature. Which is android--and when she finds out she is just as horrified as she thinks everyone else will be. As this second book opens Mila has escaped from the military facility that wants to use her as a weapon, the place where she was tortured and forced to fight her evil look-a-like twin android sister, but the woman she knows as her mother is now dead and Mila is left with only cryptic clues about her past, the obviously false childhood memories that keep surfacing, and who she should go to for help.

So Mila calls on Hunter, the guy she liked before she discovered she isn’t an average teenage girl and the guy she still gets heart palpitations around even though she knows she’s a machine, doesn’t have an actual heart, and what’s she doing with emotions anyway. Without updating Hunter about what she now knows about herself and her situation, Mila makes up a story that convinces him to road-trip with her so she stay one step ahead of the people trying to recapture her while trying to make contact with someone who can explain things. The fast action excitement of the plot and the exciting discoveries Mila keeps making about her useful android abilities get a little bogged down by Mila’s predictable and somewhat excessive internal agonizing about keeping her secret from Hunter, though generally I’m greatly enjoying the friction created between Mila’s human and machine sides.

Author Debra Driza smoothly worked review information into the first chapters of Renegade, a big help for readers like me who have had a time gap since reading Mila 2.0. Along with Mila we learn more about who/what she is in this second book, and we meet some of the key people from her past--though it’s not always clear who can be trusted. There is still a lot of story left to tell, and I look forward to reading the next book. ( )
  Jaylia3 | Jul 16, 2014 |
“I was really excited for this book to be released, I LOVED the first book so much. However, I wan't impressed as much with the second book. It was action-packed and adventure-filled, which I enjoy, I just wanted some more romance in there. Mila and Hunter were just on the verge of a really good romance when we ended in Mila 2.0 and it kind of fizzled out in Mila 2.0 Renegade. I was just disappointed that Mila distrusted Hunter so much, it was sad to see that happen to them. It really affected their relationship in a bad way.

There are some secrets revealed and I could understand the creation of Mila better. I felt sad for Mila, after loosing her mom she really didn't have anybody else and her relationship with Hunter didn't seem so promising anymore. The ending left us completely hanging so of course I will have to read/listen to the next book in this series. I'm hoping the romance will be kicked up a knotch in the third book. ( )
  BeckyGandee | Jun 29, 2014 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: The action, suspense, and thrill of book number one continues in a fantastic continuation of the Mila 2.0 series.

Opening Sentence: If I could record real-life moments in my head like a DVR, this afternoon would top the list as one of the most replayed.

The Review:

Note: since this is a review for a sequel, the first paragraph and possibly the others will contain minor or even major spoilers! In Mila 2.0, Mila learns she is a cyborg, loses her mother, and set off on the run with Hunter, a boy she’s hardly known but has a connection with. She goes off on the only lead she has, a name. In this story, all the action and excitement of the first book continues with some major plot twists and startling revelations.

I enjoyed watching Mila start to embrace her android-ness. True, she is learning also the meaning of being a human, of having emotions, but by the end of the book she has become more comfortable in her own skin. The development was large, and Mila was a great character with all the fight and spunk of Katniss or Tris. She learns herself and who to trust. I loved her in Mila 2.0, but in Mila 2.0 Renegade I enjoyed her character even more. However, I can’t say the same for her main love interest: Hunter. In book number one we realize that Lucas is also a contender but it’s clear where Mila’s true feelings are, at least in the first two novels. At the beginning of this book, I didn’t trust Hunter. After all, why would he travel across the country to help some girl he barely knows? Their relationship felt false, as did Hunter’s motivations, and by the end of the book he hadn’t changed much at all.

Lucas, on the other hand, is a whole different story. He starts out on the enemy side. He gradually sees the human in Mila. He makes risks and sacrifices but she still isn’t accepting him as anything more than a friend, but I can say she starts to feel butterflies and the like by the end of this one. If this is meant to be a love triangle than so far it is leaning in Hunter’s favor. The one thing lacking in both relationships is the humor aspect, which I was let down by slightly.

I can’t argue with Mila’s awesome android functions or the many action-packed scenes. Not only does she have to fight in her romance but she has to fight to stay alive and discover her orgins. Every few chapters we’d have a good ‘ole fight scene or a deep heart to heart between characters, and as her character grew so did my interest in the story. At the end of the day, she actually finds out a lot, even if the amount of information dumped on us was a little daunting a few times. After processing I got it. The plot is engaging but complicated, but not to the point I didn’t eventually understand.

Altogether, this novel lived up to my high expectations after Mila 2.0. I was pleased with the characters, the mystery aspect, but the only thing I wasn’t so excited about was the romance. The author did an amazing job of nitpicking all the science parts so we could understand and so the plot was reasonable and realistic. Mila is a fantastic heroine and I loved watching her grow. I would, again, like to see more of Lucas in book 3, and there are also still a few plot holes waiting to be patched up. Though I was very interested in the plotline, somehow I didn’t connect as thoroughly as I did with my other favorites, so that’s why it got four stars as opposed to five. If you loved Cinder by Marissa Meyer than you will be crazy for Mila 2.0! She isn’t a cyborg, but she’s an android. So close enough, right? Hopefully you pick up the first and second at your closest bookstore or library soon, as I’m positive you will not regret it.

Notable Scene:

“So, heres what’s going to happen,” Quinn continued, ignoring him completely. “Mila is going to execute the prisoners, as a little demonstration of my success. Of course, you can keep that from happening at any time by giving me access to the intel accounts.”

FTC Advisory: Katherine Tegen Books/Harper Collins provided me with a copy of MILA 2.0: Renegade. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | May 24, 2014 |

There is no one left for Mila to trust. Except for a boy she barely knows.

But Hunter has no idea who—and what—Mila really is. She can’t bear to reveal her secret, even though he’s unwittingly joined her search for Richard Grady, a man who may know more details of Mila’s complicated past.

Yet the road to the truth is more dangerous than ever. With General Holland and the Vita Obscura scouring the earth for her whereabouts, Mila must rely on her newfound android abilities to protect herself and Hunter from imminent harm. Still, embracing her identity as a machine leads her to question the state of her humanity—as well as Hunter’s real motives.

Perfect for fans of I Am Number Four and Divergent, this action-packed and heart-wrenching second installment of MILA 2.0 will leave readers breathlessly awaiting the series conclusion.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062090399, Hardcover)

This suspenseful, heart-wrenching follow-up to Debra Driza's MILA 2.0 will leave readers racing to turn the last page.

Mila is back on the run—this time with potential boyfriend Hunter by her side. As they search for a man who might know more about her mysterious past, Mila must rely on her android abilities to protect them from the people who want her dead. But embracing her identity as a machine leads her to question the state of her humanity, as well as Hunter's true intentions.

Fans of books filled with mystery and intrigue, like The Bourne Identity and I Am Number Four, will find everything they're looking for in this exciting series, including several unexpected surprises.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:14 -0400)

Mila is back on the run--this time with potential boyfriend Hunter by her side. As they search for a man who might know more about her mysterious past, Mila must rely on her android abilities to protect them from the people who want her dead. But embracing her identity as a machine leads her to question the state of her humanity, as well as Hunter's true intentions.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,727,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible