Shine by Candy Gourlay
221720,676 (3)1
Forced to hide herself away from the superstitious island community of Mirasol, thirteen-year-old Rosa seeks solace online. There she meets Ansel95, and as the friendship moves from virtual to real, Rosa discovers that she's not the only one with something to hide.
family (1) fiction (3) friendship (1) ghosts (1) internet (1) intrigue (1) MS (2) mute (1) MYP (1) superstition (1) teenage girl (1) to-read (3) uwce (2)

Shine is an incredibly powerful book. It has a bit of suspense mystery and darkness to it that I love very much. Even from the start it was gripping, introducing the setting and characters flawlessly and skillfully. After the first chapter I immediately be I Luke love this book. The author definitely knows how to keep the plot of the movie going. Although there where times when I felt that the teenagers were a bit awkward in their text, I think it was supposed to show how little they interact with others.

The main thing that really gripped me was how the author made up her own disease . It was well bough out and very detailed however I do think she should have at least mentioned the made up scientific name of the disease because I do not like calling it " Calm". I was also quite disappointed when the interest friend of rosa was revealed. I felt that there was a weak buildup to that moment and I had hoped for a different character who could have had more emphasis in the story.

Overall my experience with this book was very positive. A great tale with a shocking twist. I do recommend for you to try this if you would like ( especially you my fellow Filipinos, the author candy gourlay is a Filipino and we should show some pride for this wonderful woman.) ( )
  al3 | Jan 9, 2016 |

Candy Gourlay is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,918,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible