Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Seconds (edition 2014)

by Bryan Lee O'Malley (Author), Jason Fischer (Drawing assistant), Dustin Harbin (Letterer), Nathan Fairbairn (Colors)

Member:donutage
Title:Seconds
Authors:Bryan Lee O'Malley (Author)
Other authors:Jason Fischer (Drawing assistant), Dustin Harbin (Letterer), Nathan Fairbairn (Colors)
Info:New York : Ballantine, [2014]
Collections:Moorestown
Tags:comics, 21c

Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Recently added byprivate library, Casplet, Netpilgrim, mrsrobin, Tsark, Hazanko, simonpratt, annekellymoon, legxleg

Things are a bit up in the air for Katie -- her first restaurant has done so well that she's basically no longer needed, especially as she looks to get a second restaurant up and running; her ex-boyfriend is suddenly and inexplicably popping up at her old restaurant repeatedly after extended time apart; and she and her replacement chef sometimes hate each other and sometimes love each other. Their sexy affair inadvertently leads to a kitchen accident that severely hurts a young server. This last event prompts Katie to remember a weird dream she had in which a house spirit pointed out an empty dresser drawer to Katie. She is drawn to it now, finding a magic mushroom, which once she ingests re-writes the previous day so that the accident never occurs. Katie becomes obsessed with hoarding and eating more magic mushrooms to fix many mistakes in her past, despite the warnings from the house spirit not to do so. With each new change, something else goes wrong and Katie gets a growing sense that something terrible is on the horizon...

Wow, was this book good! I was skeptical at first because the premise seemed more than a little odd and the main character isn't exactly super likable. But O'Malley creates a tightly wound story that explores many types of relationships from coworkers to lovers to friends and delves into deep topics, like the elusiveness of perfection, without getting too bogged down in darkness. The main characters are all fairly interesting, each with his or her own problem to tackle. The narration is funny at times, especially when the "fourth wall" is broken down a bit and Katie responds to something stated by the narrator. And, the book manages to end on a happy note without being overly cheesy.

The illustrations are more cartoon-ish than I usually like, but it works quite well with this story containing so many magical and fantastical elements. The book seems a little thicker than your standard graphic novel, but it was so compelling that I devoured it all in an afternoon. I recommend it for when you're looking for something a little bit on the lighter side but that still has some food for thought. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Apr 30, 2017 |
Great graphic novel about how we try and fix our lives but we cannot change what has already happened. ( )
  kale.dyer | Feb 27, 2017 |
This is a strange, fantasy-like graphic novel that might appeal to some but left me mystified and rather bored. I did not care about Katie, the main character, and did not buy the supernatural element. What's the point? ( )
  blgriffin | Feb 10, 2017 |
This is a graphic novel about Katie, a successful chef, with a strong streak of perfectionism and limited social skills. For the last few years, she has been dedicated to her job at Seconds, the restaurant that she made hugely popular. Now she is planning to open her own restaurant, but is unable to separate herself from Seconds. After a day in which a serious lapse of judgement leads to a nasty accident, she is given the chance to change the past. Of course, we all know that that can never turn out well. As expected, things spiral out of control and Katie learns some valuable lessons. Katie is a complex character, and I sympathized with her and wanted to tell her to "Smarten up!" at the same time. O'Malley's illustrations of house spirits and creeping horror perfectly fit the story. I liked the developing friendship between Katie and one of the waitresses—that worked better for me than the romance did. I enjoyed this book. It had a nice balance of humour, magic, and spookiness.
  SylviaC | Oct 25, 2016 |
I'm a sucker for anything O'Malley writes (even though he wasn't very pleasant at the Seconds signing :/ ), so of course I loved this. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |

Has as a supplement

I felt a kind of vertigo, as if

I were merely plunging from

One world to another, and in

Each I arrived shortly after

The end of the world had

Taken place

--Italo Calvino

If on a winter's night a traveler
And I said

Could it be me?

Could it really, really be?

Over and over

--Fleetwood Mac
She woke up, and there was a glow.

The highly anticipated new stand-alone, full-colour graphic novel from Bryan Lee O'Malley, author and artist of the hugely bestselling (and Toronto-set) Scott Pilgrim graphic novel series.
     Seconds is a complex and novelistic stand-alone story about a young restaurant owner named Katie who, after being visited by a magical apparition, is given a second chance at love and to undo her wrongs. Fans new and old will love O'Malley's bold and quirky style infused with his subtle, playful humour.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:36 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Bryan Lee O'Malley's book Seconds was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Bryan Lee O'Malley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,330,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible