Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Seconds (edition 2014)

by Bryan Lee O'Malley (Author), Jason Fischer (Drawing assistant), Dustin Harbin (Letterer), Nathan Fairbairn (Colors)

Member:donutage
Title:Seconds
Authors:Bryan Lee O'Malley (Author)
Other authors:Jason Fischer (Drawing assistant), Dustin Harbin (Letterer), Nathan Fairbairn (Colors)
Info:New York : Ballantine, [2014]
Collections:Moorestown
Tags:comics, 21c

Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Great graphic novel about how we try and fix our lives but we cannot change what has already happened. ( )
  kale.dyer | Feb 27, 2017 |
This is a strange, fantasy-like graphic novel that might appeal to some but left me mystified and rather bored. I did not care about Katie, the main character, and did not buy the supernatural element. What's the point? ( )
  blgriffin | Feb 10, 2017 |
This is a graphic novel about Katie, a successful chef, with a strong streak of perfectionism and limited social skills. For the last few years, she has been dedicated to her job at Seconds, the restaurant that she made hugely popular. Now she is planning to open her own restaurant, but is unable to separate herself from Seconds. After a day in which a serious lapse of judgement leads to a nasty accident, she is given the chance to change the past. Of course, we all know that that can never turn out well. As expected, things spiral out of control and Katie learns some valuable lessons. Katie is a complex character, and I sympathized with her and wanted to tell her to "Smarten up!" at the same time. O'Malley's illustrations of house spirits and creeping horror perfectly fit the story. I liked the developing friendship between Katie and one of the waitresses—that worked better for me than the romance did. I enjoyed this book. It had a nice balance of humour, magic, and spookiness.
  SylviaC | Oct 25, 2016 |
I'm a sucker for anything O'Malley writes (even though he wasn't very pleasant at the Seconds signing :/ ), so of course I loved this. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Full disclosure - I was promised this book in the Early Reviewer giveaway over a year ago, but it never arrived. Eventually, I bought it myself. This review is the result of that purchase.

---

Like many, I came to Seconds as a result of the author's previous work on Scott Pilgrim. What I found was a tight, engaging, self-contained story with all of the wit and humor of Scott Pilgrim, with the same active and attractive art style. And lo and behold, it may just be better.

The strength of Seconds is its single driving narrative, which creates a nice arc for our protagonist, Katie. She is not entirely likeable, but only because it's so easy to see our own flaws reflected in her. She changes, she learns, and manages to come to terms with her mistakes even as she attempts to escape from them.

Seconds was a quick read but an engaging one, and a story that I will be certain to return to in the future. ( )
1 vote shabacus | Jun 22, 2016 |

Has as a supplement

I felt a kind of vertigo, as if

I were merely plunging from

One world to another, and in

Each I arrived shortly after

The end of the world had

Taken place

--Italo Calvino

If on a winter's night a traveler
And I said

Could it be me?

Could it really, really be?

Over and over

--Fleetwood Mac
She woke up, and there was a glow.

The highly anticipated new stand-alone, full-colour graphic novel from Bryan Lee O'Malley, author and artist of the hugely bestselling (and Toronto-set) Scott Pilgrim graphic novel series.
     Seconds is a complex and novelistic stand-alone story about a young restaurant owner named Katie who, after being visited by a magical apparition, is given a second chance at love and to undo her wrongs. Fans new and old will love O'Malley's bold and quirky style infused with his subtle, playful humour.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:36 -0400)

Bryan Lee O'Malley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,876,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible