Then and Always by Dani Atkins

Then and Always

by Dani Atkins

English (13)  German (2)  All languages (15)
Y después de al menos 15 dnf's (15 novelas que trate de empezar y me crisparon los nervios!!) Al fin pude encontrar un romance mas o menos original .

Algunas situaciones fueron cursis y algunos momentos predecibles ... y sin embargo , los giros de la trama , el gran misterio que rodea la historia no puede considerarselo demasiado predecible porque , si bien hay momentos en que lees y decís maa si , acá va a pasar esto , es re obvio ; al momento siguiente dudas de todo y es esa pequeña duda , por mínima que sea , que te hace seguir leyendo y , claramente , la razón por la cual me gusto a mi Fractured .

Una grata y bienvenida sorpresa después de tantas decepciones seguidas. ( )
  LaMala | Jul 8, 2015 |
Where I got the book: bought used on Amazon. A real-life book club read.

When she was 18, a terrible accident killed Rachel’s friend Jimmy and ripped her life apart. Since then things have gone from bad to worse and her life is one of failed dreams and personal grief. Or possibly not. After a head trauma, Rachel awakes to a very different version of the last five years . . . .

This was a cute story, but it pans out at about a 3.4 stars for me because the writing just wasn’t to my taste. If it weren’t for some sexual references, this is one I could have easily passed on to my youngest daughter when she was 11 or so, which gives you an idea of what I mean. It reminded me of the days when literary agents kept telling writers to dumb themselves down to about an 8th grade level because that was what readers wanted. Well, this reader wants more.

And that, really, is all I’ve got against the novel. I suspect, knowing my book club, that everyone else will love it, and you may too. Oh well, let’s hope that I win the draw next time so I can land everyone with a book nobody else will finish because it’s too long or boring or difficult. Hmmmm, what to choose… ( )
  JaneSteen | Apr 19, 2015 |
I found myself drawn into this quite emotional read. It was chick-lit at it’s best – the kind of book you don’t want to put down until you know how it ends. And the end might surprise you

http://everydaygyaan.com/anything-goes-on-sunday-5/ ( )
  corinnerodrigues | Feb 24, 2015 |
One evening while out to dinner with friends, Rachel Wiltshire's life is changed forever. A car crashes into the front windows of the restaurant and Rachel is lucky to be alive, but her close friend Jimmy perishes while saving her life. From this day forward Rachel lives with scars both seen and unseen, as she suffers much post traumatic stress. She moves out of town, breaks up with her beau Matt and tries to move on as best as she can. Fast forward to five years when she is called back home for the wedding of one of her close friends.

When she arrives back home and is reunited with her old flame Matt and her friends, an accident leaves her in the hospital unconscious. When she awakens, she finds herself in an entirely alternate life. Jimmy is still alive, she is engaged to Matt and she has the career she always wanted. The problem is Rachel wonders where her old life went and how this new perfect life can possibly be real. As she tries to put together the pieces of the puzzle, she questions her sanity. As clues are revealed, more questions arise as to what happened to Rachel's life. Is she just suffering amnesia? Is she having a mental breakdown?

Despite its slow start, Then and Always drew me in. This plot driven novel had me wondering plenty. I guessed until the end because I really had no clue as to what was real or not. I wondered right alongside Rachel.

As I read, I rooted for Jimmy and wanted Rachel's final reality to include her involved with him. He dies for her at the start for crying out loud, how could she not choose him? Like I mentioned, the novel has a slow start, but once the momentum gets going, I could not put this one down. There were so many sweet scenes and so much tension between Rachel and Jimmy and I eagerly waited for what would happen next.

So thank you author Dani Atkins. I was totally surprised with the ending and I shed a tear.

"Maybe it wasn't just in fairy tales that the prince's kiss could bring the sleeping princess back to life."
p.183, Then and Always by Dani Atkins

disclaimer: I received my free copy of Then and Always by Dani Atkins via AmazonVine. This review is my honest opinion. Although I receive free books via publishers and authors, I am never obligated to write a positive review. ( )
  bookworm_naida | Jan 24, 2015 |
Keine ganz neue Geschichte, aber doch auch ganz anders - zumindest zu Anfang: Rachel, 18 Jahre jung, stürzt nach dem Tod ihres besten Freundes in eine tiefe Depression. Denn als er ihr Leben rettete, starb er selbst und sie gibt sich nun die Schuld daran. Fünf Jahre später muss sie wegen der Hochzeit ihrer besten Freundin zurück an den Unglücksort und fällt bei einem nächtlichen Besuch am Grab ihres Freundes ins Koma. Als sie erwacht, findet sie sich plötzlich in einer Gegenwart wieder, die mit der ihren nichts zu tun hat: ihr bester Freund lebt, sie ist verlobt mit ihrer Liebe aus Jugendtagen und ihr Leben scheint eine einzige Erfolgsgeschichte. Rachel macht sich auf die Suche nach Erklärungen...
Ich muss gestehen, dass sich meine Begeisterung etwas in Grenzen hält, was aber vermutlich damit zu tun hat, dass ich das Alter der Zielgruppe doch schon etwas überschritten habe ;-) Dachte ich noch zu Beginn, es handle sich um eine Art Selbstfindungsgeschichte im Rahmen einer Zeitreise, war spätestens nach dem 3. Kapitel klar, dass es bei dem Ganzen um eine Liebesgeschichte geht. Die Hauptfiguren sind recht deutlich schwarz-weiss gezeichnet, so dass trotz aller Widrigkeiten und Missverständnisse schnell erkennbar ist, wer für wen bestimmt bestimmt sein wird. Wesentlich unterhaltsamer fand ich dagegen Rachels Suche nach ihrer Vergangenheit: Wie sie ihr 'neues' Heim betritt oder auch ihren Arbeitsplatz. Oder der Besuch ihres alten Lebens, wo sie alles kennt, sie aber Allen unbekannt ist. Und auch die Form der 'Lösung' fand ich sehr stimmig, ganz im Gegensatz zu verschiedenen Geschehnissen, die ich als ausgesprochen unlogisch empfand.
So bleibt als Fazit: Eine streckenweise sehr gefühlige, leicht zu lesende Romanze mit einer (für mich) interessanteren Nebengeschichte, die der gedachten Zielgruppe (Young adults heisst die Reihe, hier sind aber vermutlich nur die weiblichen gemeint) wohl gut gefallen wird. ( )
  Xirxe | Dec 2, 2014 |

For fans of One Day, What Alice Forgot, and the hit film Sliding Doors, comes an absorbing and surprising debut novel about a young woman who, after an accident, gets a second chance at life . . . just not in one she remembers.
Rachel Wiltshire has everything she’s ever wanted: a close group of friends, a handsome boyfriend, and acceptance to the journalism program at her top-choice college. But one fateful evening, tragedy tears her world apart.
Five years later, Rachel returns home for the first time to celebrate her best friend’s wedding. Still coping with her grief, she can’t stop thinking about the bright future she almost had, if only that one night had gone differently. But when a sudden fall lands her in the hospital, Rachel wakes to find that her life has completely changed. Now she has her dream job as a writer and a stylish apartment, but the people she loves most are not the way she remembers them. Unable to trust her own recollections, Rachel tries to piece together what really happened, and not even she can predict the astonishing truth.

Look for special features inside. Join the Random House Reader’s Circle for author chats and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

"Rachel's life is perfect. A handsome boyfriend, great friends and the prospect of starting at university in a few weeks means she's never been happier. But in a single heartbeat, a single event tears her world apart. Five years later, Rachel is still struggling to come to terms with the tragedy that changed everything. Returning to her hometown for the first time in years for her best friend's wedding, she finds herself consumed by the thoughts of the life that could have been. But when a sudden fall lands her in hospital, Rachel awakes to discover that nothing is the way she thought it was. Unable to trust her own memories, Rachel is drawn into this new world where the man she lost is alive and well but where she is engaged to be married to someone else"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,760,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible