The Heist [Gabriel Allon #14] by Daniel…

The Heist [Gabriel Allon #14] (edition 2015)

by Daniel Silva (Author)

Member:MSWallack
Title:The Heist [Gabriel Allon #14]
Authors:Daniel Silva (Author)
Info:Harper (2015), Edition: Reprint, 512 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:Gabriel Allon

The Heist: A Novel (Gabriel Allon) by Daniel Silva

English (26)  Danish (1)  All (27)
Daniel Silva never disappoints. Intricate plots, great descriptions of locales, an art history lesson and an up to date recounting of politics. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
This was again a very exciting Gabriel Allon thriller. Even if I do not always read the books in the correct order, this series packs me very much.
Gabriel Allon and his team are once again on the track of the altarpiece by Caravaggio. But as always, this is more a hanger for the main story. This is about the assets of the Syrian ruling family and how Allon and his team could steal this. The roads lead from Venice via London to Lake Como and further to Vienna. ( )
  Ameise1 | Aug 14, 2017 |
I really enjoy this series which stars Gabriel Allon, an Israeli spy and art restorer. You always learn something about painting and art restoration and there is always an excellent mystery to boot.

In this installment Gabriel is working in Venice restoring a picture in a church when he is asked to get involved in clearing an old friend of a murder charge. The murder victim was a former British spy and art dealer was suspected of dealing in stolen art and, in particular, Caravaggio's Nativity with St. Francis and St. Lawrence. In clearing his friend's name Allon discovers works of art that have been covered over by new paintings but not the Caravaggio. To flush out the Caravaggio painting Allon cooks up a scheme to steal another painting (Allon carefully says borrow, not steal) and offer it to the underground market. It appears that the Syrian dictator is involved so Allon then decides to steal the money stashed away in foreign banks by the Syrians. So there are a number of heists involved in this plot and I guess Silva invites us to take our pick as to which one the title refers.

Fast-paced and set in multiple locales from Tel Aviv to London, you are not going to be bored listening or reading to this book. I listened to it narrated by George Guidall and enjoyed it hugely. ( )
  gypsysmom | Jun 17, 2016 |
An enjoyable Gabriel Allon book. Art theft and forgery mixed with international finance. ( )
  skraft001 | May 4, 2016 |
The fourteenth book of the Daniel Allon series begins with a murder investigation surrounding a stolen painting and becomes a mission to hunt down the hidden assets of the Syrian president. Gabriel Allon displays his talents as an art restorer, investigator, and Israeli intelligence operative. The story begins when Gabriel attempts to save Julian Isherwood from jail by agreeing to recover the most famous missing painting in the world, Caravaggio’s Nativity. While on this search he recruits the help of a German naturalized citizen, Jihan Nawaz, whose family was the victim of a major massacre in her Syrian hometown. Numerous old favorites from prior series make an appearance here but the most compelling characters of the book are Gabriel and Jihan.

Gabriel Allon has an incredibly complex personality, which makes him more empathetic, and believable. He sometimes makes mistakes and allows himself to be haunted by the loss of loved ones. One of the most poignant scenes in the book is when Gabriel visits his first wife, Leah, who was scarred emotionally and physically by a terrorist bombing where their son was killed. It is heart-breaking to see Leah’s struggles with psychotic depression and witness her as a prisoner to the past. Leah very rarely makes an appearance but when she does she can still pack quite a powerful punch for long time readers.

As always I learned a lot about famous paintings and artists. I found myself googling a number of the paintings referenced and that seemed to add some extra enjoyment to the story for me. The plot line is action packed and filled with intrigue and suspense. Normally this would be a five star read for me but for the very first time I felt like I'd already read this story. It's hard to keep a character fresh after fourteen books and by the end of the book you realize there will soon be lots of changes in Gabriel's life that will potentially open up some great possibilities for future books. I'm still a fan and Silva can count on me to pre-order his next Gabriel Allon thriller.

Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |

Daniel Silvaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Most stolen art is gone forever . . . The lone bit of
good news is that the better the painting,
the better the odds it will someday be found.

--EDWARD DOLNICK, THE RESCUE ARTIST
He that diggeth a pit shall fall into it; and who
so breaketh a hedge, a serpent shall bite him.

--ECCLESIASTES 10:8
As always, for my wife, Jamie, and my children, Nicholas and Lily.
ST. JAMES'S, LONDON

IT BEGAN WITH AN ACCIDENT, but then matters involving Julian Isherwood invariably did.

Gabriel Allon, art restorer and occasional spy, searches for a stolen masterpiece by Caravaggio. Sometimes the best way to find a stolen masterpiece is to steal another one.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,504,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible