Q & A by Vikas Swarup

Q & A (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Vikas Swarup

Member:Mason_100
Title:Q & A
Authors:Vikas Swarup
Info:Scribner (2005), Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:****1/2

Q & A by Vikas Swarup (2005)

English (95)  French (6)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  English (117)
I saw the movie that was based on this book many years ago and didn't remember anything about it except that I liked it a lot. After I was a few chapters into the audio book, I started re-watching it and realized how different it was from the novel. I didn't finish my re-watch but I did just finish the book so I can't really comment on the differences but, wow, what a good book.

There are some intense moments and a few bits that made me tear up - either with sadness or joy or relief. I'm happy I had the opportunity to listen to this book. I think parts of it will stay with me for a good long time.

I'd give it 4.5 but rounded down on Goodreads because some of the flashback portions were difficult to figure out where they fell on the timeline. ( )
  amcheri | Oct 3, 2016 |
I haven't seen the movie, but this was a wonderful book. Clever and well written. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Aug 16, 2016 |
Abandoned as a baby he was given the names Ram Mohammed Thomas to cover each of the major religions - just in case. This poor orphan grew up learning a lot in his eventful life. When he was able to answer all twelve questions on a quiz show, the organizers, who have no intention of paying a billion rupees to anyone, have him thrown in jail and tortured to elicit a confession of cheating. Then his luck changes and Smita, a mysterious lawyer, comes to his aid. As he spends the night telling her his life story, it explains his knowledge. The story is by turns funny, sad, tragic and utterly captivating - even if highly improbable.

Christopher Simpson, did an outstanding job narrating the audio version, covering many characters of multiple nationalities with brilliance. The narration alone deserves five stars. He is Irish-born, one of the few people who can claim to have parents of different origins having an Irish father and Greek-Rwandan mother, yet grew up in neither culture, but in London, England. ( )
2 vote VivienneR | Mar 30, 2016 |
Haven't seen the movie yet. Great premise and unique tour through the events that led Ram Mohammed Thomas to winning a billion. ( )
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
For my parents Vinod and Indra Swarup and my late grandfather Sri Jagadish Swarup
I have been arrested. For winning a quiz show.
Originally published as "Q & A," reissued in 2008 as "Slumdog Millionaire" to match the title of the film based on it.

This is the novel the film is based on. please do not combine the film with this work.

When Ram Mohammed Thomas, an eighteen-year-old waiter from the slums of Mumbai, wins one billion rupees on India’s newest imitation of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, he is arrested almost immediately. Having offered a prize they are incapable of dispensing, the producers face bankruptcy unless Ram is convicted of cheating. A confession should be easy to obtain; after all, the chances of an uneducated orphan guessing twelve correct answers are astronomical. Even Ram’s lawyer, Smita, is sceptical at first – but behind each answer is a tale from Ram’s remarkable life, and as each tale unfolds, she comes to understand the luck he has made for himself.

Vikas Swarup's spectacular debut novel opens in a jail cell in Mumbai, India, where Ram Mohammad Thomas is being held after correctly answering all twelve questions on India's biggest quiz show, Who Will Win a Billion? It is hard to believe that a poor orphan who has never read a newspaper or gone to school could win such a contest. But through a series of exhilarating tales Ram explains to his lawyer how episodes in his life gave him the answer to each question.

Ram takes us on an amazing review of his own history -- from the day he was found as a baby in the clothes donation box of a Delhi church to his employment by a faded Bollywood star to his adventure with a security-crazed Australian army colonel to his career as an overly creative tour guide at the Taj Mahal.

Swarup's Q & A is a beguiling blend of high comedy, drama, and romance that reveals how we know what we know -- not just about trivia, but about life itself. Cutting across humanity in all its squalor and glory, Vikas Swarup presents a kaleidoscopic vision of the struggle between good and evil -- and what happens when one boy has no other choice in life but to survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:38 -0400)

"Stunning a television audience of millions, Ram draws upon a store of street wisdom and accidental encounters that provides him with the essential keys not only to the quiz show but also to life itself"--From publisher description.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,692,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible