In the Morning I'll Be Gone by Adrian…

In the Morning I'll Be Gone (2014)

by Adrian McKinty

1983, Belfast, The Troubles, Sean Duffy, having upset too many Important people, particularly the FBI among many, is off the force. Apparently being reduced to Sergeant wasn’t enough and he was forced off with the offer of a full pension.

“I went to the dole office and they told me that there was no point signing on. With my retirement money coming in I would be means tested and would not be eligible for any other kind of income support. The unemployment officer told me I should move to Spain or Greece or Thailand or someplace where my monthly check from the RUC would go a long way.”

Wallowing in despair Duffy is approached by MI5 to assist them in finding Dermot McCann, IRA master bomber who had escaped from the Maze prison, whereabouts currently unknown.
Duffy is chosen because of two things, he knows McCann from when they were at High school together and he’s very good and what he does. Duffy negotiates a return to his old position Detective Inspector but under the banner of Special Branch.

Duffy’s time away from the forces has not mellowed him. He still has issues with 80’s music.

“Before I put the key in the ignition I got out again and looked underneath the vehicle for mercury tilt bombs. There were none, and I re-entered and stuck in a cassette of Robert Plant’s Principle of Moments. This was my fourth listen to Plant’s solo album and I still couldn’t bring myself to like it. It was all synthesizers, drum machines, and high-pitched vocals. It was a sign of the times, and with the autumn upon us it was safe to say that 1983 was turning out to be the worst year in popular music for about two decades.”

He still drinks far too much and enjoys the not so occasional spliff.

Interviewing all of McCann’s relatives brings him in contact with McCann’s ex-wife Anne and her Mother. The mother offers to help located McCann if Duffy can solve the mystery of her younger daughters’ Lizzies death. The trouble is that it is the classic ‘closed room’ murder. The body was found inside a locked room, locked and bolted from the inside. Solve the mystery and get McCann, simple.

With M15 pressuring him for results and the complex mystery of the locked room proving to be a stumbling block, finding McCann tales on even more urgency as the Conservative Party Conference in Brighton 1984 is coming up fast. Mrs Thatcher, fresh from the Falklands victory is giving the key note speech and is a prime IRA target.

McKinty has delivered a complex and enthralling mystery. How will it all play out, remember your history, all is not what it seems. ( )
  Robert3167 | Apr 25, 2018 |
Also the third volume of the Sean Duffy series convinced me very much. Duffy, who had been debated with his unorthodox investigations and his obstinacy to a patrolman, got the order out of the service and retired prematurely. This is too boring for him and he is useless. Were there not the various British intelligence services that want to make use of its potential and knowledge, and already Duffy is again in the middle of determining. After a jailbreak, all the secretaries are looking for the escaped leading heads of the IRA, as they have to face serious attacks. Duffy can only track the IRA boss, since he must first uncover the unexplained death of his sister-in-law.
As always, this story is very exciting. ( )
  Ameise1 | Oct 17, 2017 |
I really like the Sean Duffy character, I think he's a great, layered character with whom you're willing to hang out over the span of a few hours.
But if you liked the first three, or any of McKinty's Michael Forsythe books (As Dead I Well May Be, The Dead Yard, Bloomsday Dead), you'll likely enjoy this story. More great stuff from McKinty. ( )
  mhanlon | Jul 20, 2017 |
So far, this is the best of the three Sean Duffy books. Just found out there are two additional volumes, and I'm looking forward to reading those soon. ( )
  Gingermama | Oct 11, 2016 |
This is the third book in the Sean Duffy series, by Adrian McKinty, looking at an officer in the Royal Ulster Constabulary at the time of The Troubles.
Sean has always been the odd man out, as a Catholic officer in the mostly Protestant police force. He ticked off too many people in the previous book and finds himself rather cut adrift at the start of this one.
MI5 then discovers it needs his help to try and track down an escaped IRA bomber that Sean used to know at school. In the process, he gets stuck into a cold case mystery with an impossible-to-solve locked door mystery.
This book is very evocative of the times with the divided loyalties, petty hatreds and viciousness involved in a country split apart for so long. Sean is a very interesting, tenacious character, who just keeps worrying away at things that others just accept.
Gerard Doyle was a fantastic narrator.
4.5 Stars ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Take every dream that's breathing. Find every boat that's leaving. Shoot all the lights in the café, And in the morning I'll be gone.
Tom Waits "I'll Be Gone"
My friend you must understand that time forks perpetually into countless futures. And in at least one of them I have become your enemy. -- Jorge Luis Borges, The Garden Of Forking Paths (1941)
The beeper began to whine at 4.27 p.m. on Wednesday, 25th September 1983.

Adrian McKinty: „Die verlorenen Schwestern“
Ein Krimi im Krimi
Von Hans Jörg Wangner 22. April 2015 - 12:27 Uhr

Eigentlich ist Sean Duffy am Ende: erst degradiert, dann aus dem Polizeidienst geworfen. Außer Musik, Alkohol und Drogen hat er nicht mehr viel. Doch dann soll er im Auftrag des MI5 einen irischen Terroristen finden. Und ein Klassekrimi nimmt seinen Lauf.
Nicht alle Briten trauerten um Margaret Thatcher. Und auch Adrian McKintys Held Sean Duffy gehört nicht zu den glühendsten Verehrern der eisernen Lady; er rettet ihr im Buch aber pflichtbewusst das Leben. Foto: DPA
Foto: DPA

Stuttgart - Diesmal ein Einstieg ohne musikologische Verstolperer: Zügig und geradlinig führt Adrian McKinty seinen degradierten Ausnahmebullen Sean Duffy ins nächste Kapitel der irisch-republikanischen Unruhezeit. „Die verlorenen Schwestern“ heißt der Roman, der seinem Vorgänger an Spannung und Atmosphäre in nichts nachsteht.

Drei Dutzend IRA-Terroristen sind aus dem Gefängnis ausgebrochen, darunter der brillante Politkriminelle Dermot McCann, mit dem Duffy als Jugendlicher befreundet war. McCann gilt als Spezialist für Sprengstoffe, und so ist es für die Behörden eigentlich nur eine Frage der Zeit, bis ein ganz großes Ding losgeht.

Doch zunächst geht es mit Duffy noch weiter nach unten. Der hochdekorierte Kriminaler war ja am Ende seines vorigen Abenteuers zum gewöhnlichen Streifenbeamten herabgestuft worden. Jetzt wirft ihn der Polizeiapparat vollends raus. Eine einfache Intrige, ein lauwarmes Abfindungsangebot – und die Vorgesetzten haben den trinkenden und kiffenden Sturkopf mit seiner Vorliebe für ungewöhnliche Musik endlich los. Meinen sie.

Denn wie aus dem Nichts taucht das MI5 in Person der Agentin Kate Prentice auf, die Duffy zu altem Rang und Ehren verhilft – immer vorausgesetzt, er schnappt McCann. Doch das ist leicht gesagt: Bulle ist Bulle, und selbst ein römisch-katholischer Ermittler beißt bei seinen Landsleuten auf Granit. Da helfen weder Intelligenz noch – bei Bedarf – nackte Gewalt. Allein McCann Ex-Schwiegermutter bietet dem Detective Inspector einen Deal an: Wenn er den als Unfall getarnten Mord an einer ihrer Töchter aufkläre, gebe sie ihm einen Hinweis auf den Gesuchten.

Es beginnt ein Krimi im Krimi: einerseits verarbeitet McKinty wieder historische Tatsachen, andererseits strickt er einen klassischen Whodunit mit überraschendem Schluss. Und am Ende lässt er Duffy sogar das Leben der Premierministerin retten, die am 12. Oktober 1984 tatsächlich Ziel eines Bombenattentats in Brighton war.

Immerhin: Duffys Sorge, Margret Thatcher würde ihn zum Dank dafür auch noch küssen, bleibt unbegründet. Soviel Nervenkitzel muss dann doch nicht sein. (Stuttgarter Zeitung)

"A Catholic cop tracks an IRA master bomber amidst the sectarian violence of the conflict in Northern Ireland The early 1980s. Belfast. Sean Duffy, a conflicted Catholic cop in the Protestant RUC (Royal Ulster Constabulary), is recruited by MI5 to hunt down Cormac McCann, an IRA master bomber who has made a daring escape from the notorious Maze Prison. In the course of his investigations Sean discovers a woman who may hold the key to Cormac's whereabouts; she herself wants justice for her daughter who died in mysterious circumstances in a pub locked from the inside. Sean knows that if he can crack the "locked room mystery," the bigger mystery of Cormac's whereabouts might be revealed to him as a reward. Meanwhile the clock is ticking down to the Conservative Party Conference in Brighton in 1984, where Mrs. Thatcher is due to give a keynote speech..."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,986,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible