Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

Big Little Lies (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Liane Moriarty (Author)

Member:clamairy
Title:Big Little Lies
Authors:Liane Moriarty (Author)
Info:Berkley (2014), Edition: 1st, 458 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Tags:OverDrive, Read 2017

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (2014)

Little Children: A Novel by Tom Perrotta (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Unexpected disruptions to everyday routines cause otherwise comfortable suburban communities to unravel in these witty, character-driven novels. However, one shocking catalyst drives the plot of Big Little Lies, whereas various factors contribute to the drama in Little Children.… (more)
    The Hive by Gill Hornby (chazzard)

English (239)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (241)
This book opens with a local school fundraiser abruptly finishes when someone is found dead. However, we don't know who is dead or what exactly happen. The book then backtracks to the beginning of the school year and focuses on the lives of three mothers. Madeline is dealing with her youngest daughter entering the same kindergarten as her ex-husband's daughter as well as worrying about losing her teen-aged daughter to her ex's new family. Jane is newly arrived in town and as a very young single mother, she doesn't quite fit in with the other mothers; things are quickly exacerbated when her son is accused of bullying another child during kindergarten orientation. Celeste, the mother of twin 5-year-olds and the wife of a wealthy handsome man, seems to have it all but harbors a dark secret. The intersection of these three women continues as we move forward in time to the fatal night.

The book tackles a number of serious problems, many concerning violence against women, including child marriage, domestic violence, and sexual violence. As a result, it's hard to brush the book off as light pop fiction. However, it's not exactly the grand literature of the classics. It exists in some middle ground that is hard to classify. It seems to oscillate between gossipy neighbors worrying about fashion to harder looks at much deeper topics in a matter of minutes.

Overall, the book itself was somewhat better than I was expecting. (I was anticipating more of a "chick lit" style book with little substance and even less style). It is, however, probably a tad too long and has a rather slow start. In the very beginning, quite a number of characters are thrown at the reader and it's hard to parse out right away which ones are going to be the most relevant.

For the audio reader, the narrator was technically very good in that she had a variety of voices, accents, tonal modulations, etc., but something about her voice was a bit grating to me. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Aug 17, 2018 |
I really want to give this 2.5 stars. Very gossipy. I read it for a book club. Not really my genre. Once the book got to the exciting part, it ended quickly. All that for just a few minutes of excitement that was not really that exciting. I did think it brought out a good point about abuse. Even nice people have their moments and should not be allowed to abuse because they are nice the rest of the time. ( )
  shelbycassie | Aug 5, 2018 |
It is not an uncommon theme in modern novels to suggest that something dark lurks beneath the veneer of privileged American society. In Big Little Lies, Liane Moriarty takes this conceit and makes it fresh with some wonderful characters, surprising plot twists, and a compelling setting. The book is told in reverse time, starting with cryptic interviews that imply that a murder has taken place at a school fundraiser, and it seems that no one is cooperating with the investigation. Three women soon emerge as the drivers of the story, each of them with a unique perspective on the events that unfolded that night. Madeline is the Queen Bee, brash and self-confident, she thrives on conflict. Celeste is the distant beauty whose wealth and seemingly perfect façade hides a tragic home life. Jane is new to town, a single mother who seems to be damaged by a secret past. Jane meets Madeline on the way to Orientation Day at Pirriwee Public where they are all enrolling their children for Kindergarten. Madeline decides she will take Jane under her wing after Jane’s son is accused of bullying by one of the other children. Politics and rivalry spring up among the claustrophobic and competitive families at the school. The drama builds suspensefully and many secrets are carefully revealed, all culminating in the crime introduced at the start of the book. This novel is absorbing, entertaining and funny, despite some disturbing subject matter. The explosion of tension and an unexpected twist make for a tidy and satisfying conclusion. This book was adapted for HBO and a second season was just approved. Definitely read the book before bingeing the series. ( )
  jnmegan | Jul 31, 2018 |
WOW. That was a good book! It has a way of sneaking up on you, I think; at certain points, you can almost forget that the whole story revolves around the suspicious death of a parent at a school function. It's immensely funny but also really, really sad. And it's about female friendship, which is my favorite thing. ( )
  captainmander | Jul 19, 2018 |
Almost decided not to read this one, as the first chapter didn't catch my attention. Took me a few days to pick it back up, but I'm glad I did. Definitely a light read with a "chick-lit" quality to it, but after the first chapter it soon caught my attention and kept me turning the pages. I enjoyed it. ( )
  jynxmecrazie | Jul 15, 2018 |

Liane Moriartyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andersson, KerstinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, CarolineReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strandberg, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You hit me, you hit me, now you have to kiss me
-SCHOOL YARD CHANT
Pirriwee Public School...where we live and learn by the sea!  Pirriwee is a BULLY-FREE ZONE!  We do not bully.  We do not accept being bullied.  We never keep bullying a secret.  We have the courage to speak up if we see our friends bullied.  We say NO to bullies.
With love to Margaret
"That doesn't sound like school trivia night," said Mrs. Patty Ponder to Marie Antoinette. "That sounds like a riot."

Coming July 29, 2014, the new novel from Liane Moriarty, #1 New York Times–bestselling author of The Husband’s Secret

"What a wonderful writer—smart, wise, funny.” —Anne Lamott

Pirriwee Public’s annual school Trivia Night has ended in a shocking riot. One parent is dead. The school principal is horrified. As police investigate what appears to have been a tragic accident, signs begin to indicate that this devastating death might have been cold-blooded murder.

In this thought-provoking novel, number-one New York Times–bestselling author Liane Moriarty deftly explores the reality of parenting and playground politics, ex-husbands and ex-wives, and fractured families.  And in her pitch-perfect way, she shows us the truth about what really goes on behind closed suburban doors.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:36 -0400)

Follows three mothers, each at a crossroads, and their potential involvement in a riot at a school trivia night that leaves one parent dead in what appears to be a tragic accident, but which evidence shows might have been premeditated.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,049,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible