The Third Wife by Lisa Jewell

The Third Wife (2014)

by Lisa Jewell

Recently added byReneSchwartz, rena75, kathdob, sasp424

Listened to this as an audio book and fell in love. Lisa Jewell creates the most real characters that just jump off the page. ( )
  kathdob | Mar 19, 2019 |
This book is hard to categorize. Is it chick-lit, family drama, suspense, maybe a bit of a psychological thriller? Whatever genre you fit it into, it will still be a great story.

Adrian is a serial husband. He has two families and this is his third wife. Are they going to have a child? Do they want to add to his ever growing family? But then, Maya, his third wife dies. Was it a suicide? Was it an accident? Did someone push her in front of the bus? When Adrian's son finds a folder of hate emails on her computer, the waters get muddied and Adrien sets out on a quest to get to the bottom of the mystery.

At first I thought that this family was too good to be true. Adrian and his two previous wives, Susie and Caroline, their five children, and his third wife Maya, all seem to have a cohesive relationship that is hard to believe. Three women, all having been married to the same man getting along so well? I can understand the siblings getting along, but do they really? Who is sending the hate emails to Maya? It has to be someone close to the family because they know too much. And then who is Jane? This stranger that comes to check out Maya's cat to see if she wants to bring it home. She appears to be stalking the family, but why? As we learn more about Adrian, his children and ex-wives, we learn that all is not as it seems. The children are troubled, the wives a bit jealous and Maya was not as happy as it seemed.

I enjoyed this story, never knowing exactly where it was going. As I said earlier, is it a mystery? How does Maya really die and can Adrian learn to live without another wife and family? This was not my first Lisa Jewell book and it won't be my last. I enjoyed the journey this story took and I recommend it to lovers of twisty stories. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
More of a soap opera, than a mystery
Review of the Audible Audio edition narrated by Joe Jameson

I've only sampled Lisa Jewell from Audible Daily Deals, of which Then She Was Gone was the first one from October 2018. When The Third Wife was offered in January 2019 it seemed like it might be a similar sort of mystery, but it was more of a family soap opera with a tragic death that initiates a family's examination of their past behaviour. There was suspense when you still thought there was something nefarious going on, but after it was all explained it was more sad than anything else.

The narration by Joe Jameson was excellent though, especially when voicing all of the several children's voices. ( )
  alanteder | Jan 30, 2019 |
A man marries his third wife while still trying to be one big, happy family with his two ex-wives and his 5 kids. And then the third wife dies under odd circumstances (very early in the story, not a spoiler). This was an entertaining book, but there was nothing special about it, and it's one I'll quickly forget. I did like the very different personalities of the different kids. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Jan 11, 2019 |
A great book to take on holiday. Bizarre story, dysfunctional characters, lots of family secrets. There is suspense element to it and an engaging style that will keep you hooked.

For a detailed review click on the link below:

http://onerightword.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/the-third-wife-lisa-jewell.html ( )
  ashkrishwrites | Aug 29, 2018 |

Jewell, Lisaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brolin, ÅsaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Manso, Ana BeatrizTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"In the early hours of a summer morning, a young woman steps into the path of an oncoming bus. A tragic accident? Or suicide? At the center of this puzzle is Adrian Wolfe, a successful architect and grief-stricken widower, who, a year after his third wife's death, begins to investigate the cause. As Adrian looks back on their brief but seemingly happy marriage, disturbing secrets begin to surface"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,406,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible