By What Authority? by Robert Hugh Benson

By What Authority?

by Robert Hugh Benson

105. By What Authority? by Robert Hugh Benson (read fall of 1942) I was a new freshman in high school when I undertook to read this book. I think it was indicated to me that maybe it was a bit too 'advanced' for me, which made me determined to read it. I think I struggled a bit, but I did read it and was suitably impressed by the story it tells. Page 84 of The Guide to Catholic Literature 1888-1940 quotes from The Catholic World of June 1905 re the book: "An historical novel of Eizabethan England in which the Queen is a character and her persecution of Catholics is the tragic motive of the whole. True to history. Vivid in color, and told with literary skill." ( )
2 vote Schmerguls | Sep 10, 2013 |

For Great Keynes, as for most English villages and towns at this time, secular affairs were so deeply and intricately interwoven with ecclesiastical matters that none dared decide on the one question without considering its relation to the other; and ecclesiastical affairs, too, touched them more personally than any other, since every religious change scored a record of itself presently within the church that was as familiar to them as their own cottages.

On none had the religious changes fallen with more severity than on the Maxwell family that lived in the Hall, at the upper and southern end of the green. Old Sir Nicholas, though his convictions had survived the tempest of unrest and trouble that had swept over England, and he had remained a convinced and a stubborn Catholic, yet his spiritual system was sore and inflamed within him. To his simple and obstinate soul it was an irritating puzzle as to how any man could pass from the old to a new faith, and he had been known to lay his whip across the back of a servant who had professed a desire to try the new religion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:32 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,097,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible