Rambling Rose by Calder Willingham

Rambling Rose (edition 1991)

by Calder Willingham (Author)

Member:mysticskeptic
Title:Rambling Rose
Authors:Calder Willingham (Author)
Info:Grafton (1991), Paperback, 256 pages
Tags:American literature, novel, Deep South, sex, humour, 1935

Rambling Rose by Calder Willingham

Retrieved a record: Bibliographic match uncertain.
  glsottawa | Apr 4, 2018 |
I read the sexy parts of Willingham's "Rambling Rose" in the early 70's shortly after it had come out then again in the mid-70s, then again in the late 70s, then the....but I never read the entire book cover to cover until I picked up my $1.50 Dell paperback original only a few days ago. What a surprise - all the other parts are also very good, all-together a 5 star read.

Here's a tip to those of you who may enjoy an "enhanced" reading experience. Get a copy of the Laura Dern, Robert Duvall, Diane Ladd movie, same title, made in the early 90s, or barring that, check out some of the clips on YouTube. I found that all the actors did such a great job with their roles, but I got a particular kick out of hearing Daddy's words pouring forth from Duvall's mouth - I don't think anybody could have done a better job.

What's it about? 1935 Alabama, a small town in the middle of nowhere, times are tough and jobs are scarce. Yet the Hillyars hire 19 year old Rose to help mind the kids, clean the house and cook. It is not long before Rose has "accidentally" and at the great urging of 13 year old Buddy, seduced him somewhat but not all the way, introducing him to the non-baseball version of third base. Buddy develops a crush but Rose is in love with another - Buddy's Daddy. Town boys come calling, some rather late at night. Daddy fires his shotgun a couple of times and he fires Rose a number of times but somehow she manages to stay on. Oh, and then she decides she is going to find Mr. Right and get married. It's not as tawdry as it may sound, actually it's humorous, warm, touching - a rather nice story, capturing the time and place quite well. Recommended. Most of Willingham's stuff is out of print but I managed to find two others that sound interesting on the used book market. Enjoy! ( )
1 vote maneekuhi | Aug 31, 2016 |

Rose, an alluring young woman, is hired by a Southern family to care for their children, and changes their lives forever. She is an innocent who relates to everyone she meets in the only way she know how-with sexuality she can't restrain. The mother of the family takes Rose under her wing, offering her love and protection, while the teenaged son finds Rose both his fantasy and a profound mystery.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,652,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible