Women in Game of Thrones: Power, Conformity…

Women in Game of Thrones: Power, Conformity and Resistance

by Valerie Estelle Frankel

In the book, Frankel examines the female characters in Game of Thrones (the show, not the novel) up to and including its third season. She looks at them through the lens of Jung’s archetypes and several subtropes, seeing which character embodies which type and trying to determine how feminist the show actually is.

I think that the topic Frankel chose is interesting and well worth examining (I myself am doing a research project at uni about a similar topic). Game of Thrones shows a wide variety of female characters – at least at first glance. And it is rewarding to look more closely at these representations of women. But unfortunately, this book is not particularly well-argued or well-written.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2015/01/31/women-in-game-of-thrones-power-conformity-and-re... ( )
  kalafudra | Feb 16, 2015 |

"Game of Thrones, one of the hottest series on television leaves hundreds of critics divided on how "feminist" the show really is. Certainly the female characters embody a spectrum of archetypes. However, the problematic area is that most of them play a single role without nuance. This book analyzes the women and their portrayals one by one"--… (more)

Valerie Estelle Frankel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,403,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible