Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Sky Raiders (Five Kingdoms Book 1) by…

Sky Raiders (Five Kingdoms Book 1) (edition 2014)

by Brandon Mull (Author)

Member:Pamela_SC
Title:Sky Raiders (Five Kingdoms Book 1)
Authors:Brandon Mull (Author)
Info:Aladdin (2014), Edition: Reprint, 433 pages
Tags:to-read

Sky Raiders by Brandon Mull

Big disappointment after Fablehaven. I loved Fablehaven. What is this garbled mess of five kingdoms, all different, somewhere out there, yet somehow connected to earth? One kingdom is a cross between wakefulness and dreaming. Another is between life and death. What? This book had me so confused, I just wanted to curse Brandon Mull so that he could never write another book. Seriously. Shaper? What is that? A person who can create anything they want? Why do people from earth have better than average shaping skills in this weird place that I don't understand? Believe me. I did read this book, and I am so confused. Fablehaven was easy, fun and downright addicting. This is garbage. No idea why it gets good ratings. But I can tell you that sequels talk. With every book that follows, readership falls off dramatically.

Here's a little bit more about this crazy plot. Cole and his friends are in a haunted house when a guy asks them if they want to see the really scary part. They all say yes, and before you know it Cole's friends are forced into a hole that doesn't seem to have a bottom. Cole escapes, but then decides he has to go after his friends. Another girl escapes too and she's supposed to go after help, but she never enters the story again. Lame. Why bother to have her character at all.

Cole jumps into the hole and when he comes out there's a guy who says he's in a place called the Outskirts and his friends are now slaves, but he is a free agent and he needs to get a tattoo that says so. What? He goes after his friends and he's caught immediately. Lame. They give him the slave tattoo and he's sold to the Sky Raiders. Sky Raiders work at the brink. The brink is the edge of the Outskirts. No one has ever returned from the brink. It's like a pit with no bottom. You will fall forever.

Sky Raiders raid castles that float. You have to get in, scavenge what you can, and get out. It's dangerous because you don't know what's going to be there. It could be deserted or it could be inhabited by creatures that try to kill you. There may even be semblances which are people who aren't real. I think they are like the people in your dreams. They seem real. Maybe? I think? I really need help here. This book was too much for me.

From here it just keeps going further into the brink. Mira is also a Sky Raider. It turns out that she is one of the five daughters of the king who is presumed dead. She is a shaper. Her family comes from a long line of powerful shapers. But it looks like it skipped a generation with her dad. So he fakes his daughters deaths and steals their shaping gift, because if they die the ability dies with them, but alive, their gift can be stolen. What? Lame. Mira escaped and has been hiding out with the Sky Raiders, but no one knows this until she finally tells Cole. Now she's been discovered and her father is sending out an army to bring her back. Well, she flees, along with Cole and two other Sky Raider kids.

So I'm just going to jump to the end, because trust me, it only keeps going more downhill. Mira gets her shaping power back, but not before it somehow gains the ability to exist outside of a person and terrorizes the kingdom. What?? Craziest plot in the history of plots. Cole never does find his earth friends again. But guess what? Read the next book and maybe he will. Or not. This book had no semblance of closure. It jumped into the brink as far as I'm concerned. Ironically, that doesn't make me want to read the next book. It makes me want to run as fast as I can back to Fablehaven, never to set foot in the Outskirts again. ( )
  valorrmac | Sep 21, 2018 |
Wow, amazing world building and a plot that dragged me in and kept my attention when I should have been doing important things, like sleeping. The first chapter was creepy and I didn't think I would read it to my little kids- scary Halloween kidnappers in gruesome costumes, but the rest was great. And Brandon Mull raises stoke questions about what is human and the ability to choose. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
Cole goes to a normal school in Mesa, Arizona and has a crush on Jenna Hunt. He lives a normal life. That was until Halloween when he and his best friend Dalton went into a haunted house. It was haunted. Cole and his friends are sucked through a portal into a different world the Outskirts. Cole is sold as a slave to the Sky Raiders, people scavenging prizes from floating islands. Cole meets Twitch, Jace, and Mira. Legionnaires come looking for Mira who tells her friends that she is a princess and is very wanted by her evil father, the King. Mira's powers were stolen by him then lost and made into Carnag. They defeat Carnag and Mira gets her powers back.
I love this book. It is a mix between fantasy and science. There are technologically advanced places, magical places, illusionary towns, skyscrapers, and dilapidated shacks. Brandon Mull probably had me in mind when he wrote this. Sky Raiders is not my favorite in the series, but it's still pretty great. ( )
  jacko.classperiod | Jan 8, 2018 |
From the author of the Fablehaven series comes the first book in the Five Kingdoms series, filled with fantasy, adventure, and numerous twists!
  mcmlsbookbutler | Oct 5, 2016 |
This was a very good book. The more involved it got the better the story took shape. Loved the idea of realms and magic! ( )
  MrNattania | Sep 5, 2016 |
"The intriguing premise, strong world-building, and numerous twists make this a real page-turner."
added by carebrarian | editStarred Review, Publishers Weekly (Dec 23, 2013)

Whisked through a portal to The Outskirts, an in-between world, sixth-grader Cole must rescue his friends and find his way back home--before his existence is forgotten.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,497,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible