Greenglass House by Kate Milford

Greenglass House

by Kate Milford

Other authors: Jaime Zollars (Illustrator)

Series: Greenglass House (1)

Milo and his friend Meddy try to unravel the mystery of Greenglass House and its history by taking on parts as players in a role-playing game. Milo is a card dealer, and Meddy is a scholar. 21st Century readers are going to really get a kick out of a book where cryptic rusty keys, ancient doorways, antique lamps, stained green glass windows, and other old elements give the book a unique plot. The well-developed characters and the language will make its readers “feel” smart. This fun book intertwines together clues and problem solving to disclose a heartwarming story. ( )
  jardeed91 | Apr 8, 2017 |
So far this book is brillant! Well written who-dunnit with great characters and settings. I'm enthralled!
  Jessie_Lynne | Jan 10, 2017 |
This was an enjoyable read, full of well-developed, believable characters, with twists and turns aplenty. I read it to my oldest daughter over the course of a few weeks around Christmas, which is when the book is set. I had an out loud "OH!" moment one night when I figured out part of the story well in advance, and it drove my daughter crazy when I wouldn't tell her what it was.

I particularly enjoyed how the main characters moved between personas. The transitions were smooth and transparent but believable.

This book was nominated in a Young Reader's Choice Awards contest in our local public library system but it certainly something that adults will enjoy as well. (4.5 / 5.0) ( )
1 vote robertwmartin | Jan 9, 2017 |
My annual winter re-reading of Greenglass House - for the third time year in a row. It's delightful every time. ( )
  JennyArch | Dec 27, 2016 |
It is the start of the Christmas holidays, and Milo is looking forward to spending some time alone with his parents. Although the Pine family run Greenglass House, a hotel on the Skidwrack River, in the old smuggling district of Nagspeake, they usually don't have guests at this time of year. When the unexpected happens, and people - lots of people! - begin arriving, it looks like the holiday has been ruined. But a series of mysteries, in which it is revealed that each of the guests has some connection to Greenglass House, and a role-playing game that Milo becomes involved in with his new companion Meddy, end up making it one of the most memorable Christmases ever. A surprising turn of events at the conclusion of the story, in which one guest's most unexpected identity is revealed, helps to resolve the final crisis...

I enjoyed Greenglass House immensely! It is an involving mystery, or rather, series of mysteries, whose resolutions are not immediately apparent, making the tale all the more entertaining. It is also an engaging tale of a young boy who is struggling to understand himself and his place in the world. Adopted from China as an infant, Milo is conscious of the fact that he does not look like his parents, Ben and Nora Pine, and fantasizes about his birth family. This aspect of the story is worked seamlessly into the larger narrative, which centers on the eponymous Greenglass House itself. Milford excels at creating a very strong sense of place here - something I particularly value, in stories - and she weaves an atmospheric tale in which each character's connection to the house and its fabled history of smuggling adds to the sense of excitement and discovery. The surprise ending, in which one character's true nature is revealed, took me completely by surprise, and had me reevaluating the entire store. Wholeheartedly recommended to anyone looking for engaging children's mysteries, or children's stories featuring old and mysterious houses and quirky characters. I know I'm already looking forward to the forthcoming sequel! ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Jul 21, 2016 |

Kate Milfordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zollars, JaimeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

It’s wintertime at Greenglass House. The creaky smuggler’s inn is always quiet during this season, and twelve-year-old Milo, the innkeepers’ adopted son, plans to spend his holidays relaxing. But on the first icy night of vacation, out of nowhere, the guest bell rings. Then rings again. And again. Soon Milo’s home is bursting with odd, secretive guests, each one bearing a strange story that is somehow connected to the rambling old house. As objects go missing and tempers flare, Milo and Meddy, the cook’s daughter, must decipher clues and untangle the web of deepening mysteries to discover the truth about Greenglass House—and themselves.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:47 -0400)

At Greenglass House, a smuggler's inn, twelve-year-old Milo, the innkeepers' adopted son, plans to spend his winter holidays relaxing but soon guests are arriving with strange stories about the house sending Milo and Meddy, the cook's daughter, on an adventure.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,487,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible