Please, Louise by Toni Morrison

Please, Louise

by Toni Morrison, Slade Morrison, Shadra Strickland (Illustrator)

I absolutely loved this book. The perspective was incredible and the message was powerful and beautifully delivered, not thinly veiled by the story. I loved that the language was patterned and followed an ABAB rhyming scheme. Rhymes appeal to children and make the story more engaging and more memorable. The illustrations truly enhance the story by adding to the overall mood. In the beginning of the story the illustrations are darker and contain less color, but as the story goes on and Louise discovers the power of books, the illustrations become brighter and more rich in color. The point of view was in second-person, which made the book feel as though it was a story being told by a caring adult; it felt very comfortable and familiar. The message of this book is that while the world can be gray, it can also be what you make it. Louise is able to make her world happier because she knows the power books can give her. She knows that books teach her how to recognize her emotions, in addition to all of the other wonderful knowledge they give her. ( )
  adegra3 | Mar 6, 2019 |
In my opinion, Please, Louise is a fantastic book that I really enjoyed reading. The language present throughout the book is super easy for younger readers to follow with rhyme schemes that interconnect each sentence. The book starts off following the life of Louise, who is afraid of everything. The first illustration shows her leaving her house just before a rainstorm, equipped with rainboots and an umbrella. This picture is extremely fitting for the message being portrayed, since the author wants the reader to reminisce on a time in which they were in a difficult situation and didn’t know how to resolve it. The narrator follows up this request with a powerful quote, reminding both Louise and the reader that “If you are sometimes lonely or sometimes sad, know that the world is big but not so bad”. This urges both the main character and the reader to broaden their perspective of things and think outside of the box in order to see the word in a more optimistic way. In the illustrations that follow, Louise is seen walking in her neighborhood, passing by things that may initially be seen as scary or unfamiliar to younger children such as street performers, dogs, and an abandoned house. One of the main reasons why I recommend this book so much is the fact that the narrator follows up with an optimistic perspective after each item is pointed out. For example, Louise is illustrated walking past a junkyard where she thinks to herself “Is that a junkyard? Or a dangerous trap, where ghosts live and monsters nap?” and the narrator follows up by saying “Scary thoughts are your creation, when you have no information”. This reminds Louise that although unfamiliar sights may seem scary, it’s up to her to become more informed so she can alter her perspective on it.
The use of light/dark colors matches Louise’s mood throughout each scene. She is seen wearing a bright yellow rain jacket and boots along with a red wagon and yet her unfamiliar surroundings are illustrated in dark hues, such as gray or black. This enhances the story as it matches her apprehensive thoughts as she travels through her unfamiliar neighborhood. She finally reaches the library, where she discovers that she can read books to “explore, dream, discover, think, learn, and know much, much more”. The hues used in the illustrations that follow once she enters the library shift towards a variety of colors, representing that she feels safe and open after acquiring knowledge on the things that initially frightened her.
The final scene is my favorite, where she is in her now fully-colored neighborhood reading books with the dog she once found scary.
The big message that the author wants the reader to take away is not just about reading imaginative books and finding comfort in going to a library. Rather, it’s about encouraging reading to young children so that they can see past their misinterpretations on things to form a positive outlook on the world. Toni and Slade Morrison did a fantastic job accomplishing this, creating a great book that I would recommend for all ages. ( )
  BichellS | Sep 18, 2018 |
In my opinion this is a very heartfelt book. I believe the different illustrations and different perspectives make the book this warming. For example, in the beginning of the book it pushes readers to remanence on a time that was once difficult or is still difficult; the author than said the powerful quote “If you are sometimes lonely or sometimes sad, know that the world is big but not so sad.” I believe this is a quote that everyone can relate to. Although the book may have started out in a gloomy feeling, the middle and end gave hope! I loved how gloomy perspectives were made positive. For example, when the author had Louise walking past a broken and old house, she described it haunted. The author than followed Louise negative comment with a positive one; the author reminded her that although the house is now old it had great family memories many years before. The illustrations in this book also made the book very heartfelt. One of my favorite picture was of a big black scary bird staring Louise down. The author explained that although in the dark he might seem scary and mean, in the sun he is a beautiful Eagle. I also like the book’s illustrations because it sets the mood. In the beginning of the book the pictures are very dark and depressing but when the book starts to become positive the pictures become brighter and brighter!
In conclusion, I believe, Toni and Slade Morrison, are trying to show readers that having a positive and open mind can change a person’s life and perspective for the better. This is a great book and I would recommend it for all ages! ( )
  mmarti44 | Feb 27, 2017 |
I really enjoyed reading this book! Please, Louise is about a little girl who is afraid of everything. The narrator shows Louise that even though some things look scary, they are not always what they seem. In the end, Louise finds herself in a library learning about the world and when she leaves, everything is less scary. I really enjoyed the message of this book. I know that a lot of children are easily scared because the world can seem so big. "Is that a junkyard? Or a dangerous trap, where ghosts live and monsters nap? Scary thoughts are your creation when you have no information." I also enjoyed that Louise appears to be of Asian descent. I think that this is important so that children of Asian descent can see themselves in literature and it can help them to relate to the stories. ( )
  CassieLThompson | Oct 19, 2016 |
"Here is shelter from any storm. In this place you are never alone." Awww the library is indeed a shelter full of friends/books. ( )
  CommunityLibrarian | Nov 27, 2015 |

Toni Morrisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morrison, Slademain authorall editionsconfirmed
Strickland, ShadraIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

On a gray, rainy day, everything seems particularly frightening and bad to Louise until she enters a library and finds books that help her to know and imagine the beauty and wonder that have been there all along.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,908,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible