Resurrection Row by Anne Perry

Resurrection Row (1981)

by Anne Perry

Series: Charlotte & Thomas Pitt (4)

English (11)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (13)
In Resurrection Row, the book starts out with a corpse found in the driver's seat of a cab. Soon other bodies which have been dug up are also being found. An act of blackmail also leads to murder and Thomas Pitt is beside himself trying to find out what is going on. Aunt Vespasian makes a 2nd appearance and tries to help Charlotte and Thomas with this baffling mystery. We get another look at Victorian social life and the child labor and workhouse reform bill in called into the political realm. Another great read from Anne Perry makes me look forward to book 5 in the series. ( )
  EadieB | Jul 30, 2018 |
This is the 4th book in the Charlotte and William Pitt series. I begrudgingly gave the extra 1/2 star to rate Resurrection Row as 3 1/2 Stars,

For this reader, the setting and characters are what keeps me interested in this series, followed by the mystery. In this book, Inspector Pitt takes the lead role with Charlotte as support. The domestic scenes are nicely written and Charlotte is becoming more well-developed and mature. I do wish the poor man could find some waterproof boots and clothing, he's always uncomfortablely soaked. We spend more delightful time with Aunt Vespasia.

As to the mystery, while the plot is creative, it is a bit confusing and the reader's ability to deduce the killer is hampered This makes for a less enjoyable reading experience. As usual, Perry chooses to solve the murder in the final chapter with an abruptness that is starting to leave this reader unsatisfied.

Finally, in the previous books, I enjoyed reading about the social conditions, values and morality of the era. However, I found the author unnecessarily preachy and repetitive here. It was off-putting to me.

I will continue with the next title, but my enjoyment of this series has gradually been declining, though the writing itself is still very good. ( )
  Zumbanista | Feb 4, 2018 |
4th in the Charlotte & Thomas Pitt mystery series, this volume begins when a cabbie falls off his perch on a cab only to have our intrepid duo to discover that he is not only dead, but has been exhumed from his grave. The corpse, the former Lord Augustus Fitzroy-Hammond conveniently lives on the same street as Aunt Vespacia who has conveniently moved from Paragon Walk after the previous murder in the previous book of the same name. Charlotte's sisters husband, Dominic Corde also makes an appearance and there is a lot of extraneous nonsense about a bill before Parliament to help the poor living in the slums.

All in all, this is a decidedly confusing story, and while only 216 pages long, it could have been even shorter, if Perry had cut out the bits of the plot that ad very little to the story. ( )
  etxgardener | May 29, 2015 |
I am on a Ferris wheel that cannot stop, and therefore I have finished number 4 of the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series. Charlotte plays a very minor role in this story, but Aunt Vespasia returns. The story centers on corpses tuning up in unlikely place, and one poor corpse must be buried 3 times. Thomas must find the grave robber and the reason for this ghastly deed. Perry evicts talking of fashion in this novel, but spends much time on the plight of the uneducated and poor that frequent the workhouses. When one of the corpses happens to be an artist thought to be visiting Paris, the investigation sizzles. Perry omits much in this novel that sets her apart, such as characterization and setting. The emphasis rests on a few wealthy people attempting to pass legislation to aid the poor citizens of England. ( )
  delphimo | Feb 3, 2015 |
4th in the Inspector Pitt series. Slightly bizarre plot involving dug-up bodies, workhouse reform bill and blackmailer Godolphin Jones, portrait painter, murdered. ( )
  reader68 | Nov 2, 2012 |

Anne Perryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carcchio GiuseppinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Für MEG
für  ihre Hilfe
Der Nebel wallte dicht und nasskalt durch die Strasse, verschleierte ihre Konturen und liess die Gaslaternen über ihr nur gedämpft leuchten.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449210677, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:30 -0400)

What an odd sight! The dead body of a peer of the realm sitting upright in an empty hansom cab. He had been decently buried once before, Inspector Pitt knew. There was something terrible amiss. Despite doctor's claims of death by natural causes, Pitt insisted on serious digging to unearth the truth--even if it killed him.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,429,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible