Millhouse by Natale Ghent

Millhouse

by Natale Ghent

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A slow start, but an intriguing story.
Millhouse was a bit on the arrogant side and never learns to overcome this flaw in himself, however it was nice that the other animals learned to appreciate him (it would be better if they learned to appreciate him because of his personality, rather than an act he performs, but whatever). It can be a bit pretentious at part, but that's due to the nature of the titular character. ( )
  benuathanasia | May 19, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A sweet animal story for the 7 to 10 age range about pet shop animals mostly rodents: guinea pigs, mice, gerbils and a rat. The villain is a ferret. The book altogether is wholesome with themes of acceptance, believing in yourself and simply trusting that things will get better one day. The book tries to be one of those feel-good animal stories but misses the mark just never getting there. Millhouse is cute but not a character one gets attached to and no other character is fully developed. Meanwhile, the plot just meanders along. A sweet enough, innocent tale but one that is best suited to the attentions of the younger crowd, under tens, who perhaps have a special interest in guineas. ( )
  ElizaJane | Feb 27, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ever since his former owner died, Millhouse (or Milly, as he prefers to be called) has lived at a rather unsuccessful pet shop. The other small animals at the shop make fun of him for his theatrical ambitions, and because he is a hairless guinea pig. Indeed, his appearance has proved off-putting to more than one potential buyer, and Milly wonders if he will spend his entire friendless life in a cage at the shop. Fortunately for Milly, friendship awaits in unexpected places, and there may yet be the perfect home out there just for him.

This book wanted to be one of those sweet and charming animal stories, but I found it only moderately successful. Milly's foibles didn't make me like him better, and although I did thoroughly dislike the other guinea pigs at the pet shop, I didn't think they were particularly distinct or at all well-developed characters. Perhaps young readers who really love stories of animals (and guinea pigs in particular) will embrace this book more than I did, but I'm just not feeling it. ( )
  foggidawn | Aug 31, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wish I liked the book more than I did. I love children's books and our home library pays special attention to these treasures. It simply didn't hold my interest. I felt there were too many characters to keep track of and their individual significance to the story line seemed, well, insignificant. I so loved the name of the main character, Millhouse. Yet the author chose to nickname him and hardly used his given name. Giving him the nickname Milly was confusing as well. It was an easy read and I'm anxious to share with one of my grandchildren and get their view. ( )
  totsgram | Aug 18, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As an intermediate reader in the 1980's I enjoyed books like Bunnicula and Ralph S. Mouse. I felt like this is the next version/book type for today's intermediate readers. I ended up giving the book to my niece, who is an animal lover and avid reader, to read on her own. I enjoyed the charm of the author's writing style. A cute book. ( )
  LauraEnos | Aug 16, 2014 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Millhouse by Natale Ghent was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,277,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible