Neanderthal Man: In Search of Lost Genomes…

Neanderthal Man: In Search of Lost Genomes (original 2014; edition 2015)

by Svante Pääbo (Author)

"What can we learn from the genes of our closest evolutionary relatives? Neanderthal Man tells the story of geneticist Svante Paabo's mission to answer that question, beginning with the study of DNA in Egyptian mummies in the early 1980s and culminating in his sequencing of the Neanderthal genome in 2009. From Paabo, we learn how Neanderthal genes offer a unique window into the lives of our hominin relatives and may hold the key to unlocking the mystery of why humans survived while Neanderthals went extinct. Drawing on genetic and fossil clues, Paabo explores what is known about the origin of modern humans and their relationship to the Neanderthals and describes the fierce debate surrounding the nature of the two species' interactions. A riveting story about a visionary researcher and the nature of scientific inquiry, Neanderthal Man offers rich insight into the fundamental question of who we are"--… (more)
Member:DeclanM
Title:Neanderthal Man: In Search of Lost Genomes
Authors:Svante Pääbo (Author)
Info:Basic Books (2015), Edition: 1, 288 pages

Neanderthal Man: In Search of Lost Genomes by Svante Pääbo (2014)

English (9)  Estonian (1)  All languages (10)
What I most appreciate about this scientific memoir is Paabo's frank analysis of his personal motivations and how they have driven his career from being a graduate student seeking to study a topic that really didn't exist yet to becoming a scientific entrepreneur with a sharp interest in playing the game to best personal and institutional advantage. ( )
  Shrike58 | Sep 13, 2017 |
In search of lost genomes
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Well written and narrated. ( )
  Tracy_Rowan | Jul 3, 2017 |
Well written and narrated. ( )
  TracyRowanAuthor | Jun 20, 2017 |
Well worth the investment of time. The author was able to hold my attention with his storytelling ability even though the context of the story is his work with the most complex investigation of the human genome. It is amazing what can be learned through the analysis of DNA extracted from even a very small amount of ancient bone material if very bright and motivated people are committed to openly trying to understand the roots of our humanity. ( )
  MarkPlunkett | Aug 3, 2016 |
When the Neanderthal genome is finally published, Paabo is justifiably proud. We can’t begrudge him the opportunity to regale us about the news conferences and honors. But readers may start to wonder what exactly the payoff was for those many years of struggle. Reconstructing a Neanderthal genome was a tour de force, we can all agree, but why does it matter?

...

For most of “Neanderthal Man,” the goal of sequencing the Neanderthal genome feels like a distant finish line that Paabo is moving toward with the steady pace of a long-distance runner. But when he snaps the finish-line tape at last, we realize that we’ve actually reached the starting line of a much longer race.

Belongs to Publisher Series

To Linda, Rune, and Freja
Preface
The idea to write this book was first suggested to me by John Brockman.
Late one night in 1996, just as I had dozed off in bed, my phone rang.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,748,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible