Sonic Wonderland: A Scientific Odyssey of…

Sonic Wonderland: A Scientific Odyssey of Sound (edition 2014)

by Trevor Cox (Author)

"With forays into archaeology, neuroscience, biology, and design, Cox explains how sound is made and altered by the environment, how our body reacts to peculiar noises, and how these mysterious wonders illuminate sound's surprising dynamics in everyday settings, from your bedroom to the opera house"--Amazon.com.… (more)
Member:othersam
Title:Sonic Wonderland: A Scientific Odyssey of Sound
Authors:Trevor Cox (Author)
Info:Bodley Head (2014), 320 pages

The Sound Book: The Science of the Sonic Wonders of the World by Trevor Cox

1403 (1) 2014 (4) ab (1) acoustics (5) animal sounds (1) bab (2) bird songs (1) cathedrals (1) DDC (1) echoes (1) ladd (1) library book (1) maybe (1) music (4) noise (1) non-fiction (8) P4 (1) pdf (1) physics (3) physiology (1) read (1) science (12) Science & Nature (1) silence (1) sound (8) sounds (2) technology (1) to-read (8) travel (1) unowned (1)

I read this book on the recommendation of a friend who said it "changed the way [she] experiences sound." Curious!

So I picked it up and read it. Definitely makes me pay more attention to the sounds around me, and opens up a whole world that I had previously closed off. Now I'm snapping in stairwells and talking at walls just to see what it sounds like.

Not sure if it will make me better at anything but listening & paying attention to things, but those are worthwhile things to get better at. ( )
  haagen_daz | Jun 6, 2019 |
I enjoyed reading this book about the world of sound. The reader travels with author as he seeks out so-called sonic wonders. Singing sand dunes, hidden caves with special aural properties, barking fish, the half pipe at Clonmacnoise, and the organ of Corti are among the things explored. ( )
  vpfluke | Aug 17, 2016 |
Trevor has put together an interesting essay on sounds. He has gone to unusual lenghts to experience and measure different sounds in our environment. His discussion of experiences in extremely quiet place sounds like an interesting experiment. He has a background in science, which enables an intelligent explanation of the variety of sounds. ( )
  GlennBell | May 21, 2015 |
A fascinating and humane exploration of the more extreme reaches of the neglected aural world around us. ( )
  dazzyj | Apr 12, 2015 |
to Deborah
"Is it safe?" A noxious odor was invading my nostrils as I started down the open manhole.
"The Sound Book" (US title) was published in the UK as "Sonic Wonderland".

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,654,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible