Loretta Lynn - Coal Miner's Daughter by…

Loretta Lynn - Coal Miner's Daughter (original 1976; edition 2001)

by Loretta Lynn (Author)

Member:lauri804
Title:Loretta Lynn - Coal Miner's Daughter
Authors:Loretta Lynn (Author)
Info:Da Capo Press (2001), 224 pages
Collections:Read in 2013
Rating:***

Loretta Lynn: Coal Miner's Daughter by Loretta Lynn (1976)

Ain't God Good! by Jerry Glower (Hedgepeth)
    Cash by Johnny Cash (BoundTogetherForGood)
    BoundTogetherForGood: If you liked Coal Miner's Daughter, chances are you will enjoy Johnny's book also.

I have to admit, I knew next to nothing about Loretta Lynn before reading this book. I was aware she was a famous country music singer, but I couldn’t have named any of her songs off the top of my head or even give a general description of what she looks like. However, after reading this book and watching the film based upon it, I have to say I really admire the woman. Loretta grew up in a very poor mining town, pretty much cut off from and ignorant of the greater world. She married very young and her (abusive) husband drove her to become a star. She still retains a lot of her youthful naiveté as well as her rather folksy delivery; she has not been corrupted by the wide world and being a Famous Person. She stays true to her (abusive) husband and stands strong in her beliefs, and really doesn’t give a crap who knows it. She tries to be nice to people, but will fight like a wildcat if someone close to her is mistreated. She’s really a remarkable woman, and I look forward to reading her second memoir, published more than 25 years later. ( )
  EmScape | Apr 2, 2018 |
In 1970, country music legend Loretta Lynn released "Coal Miner's Daughter," a song that tells the story of her life. I read the book a number of years ago but kept hearing good things about the audiobook version, narrated by Cissy Spacek. Loretta tells us the story of her upbringing in the coal mining town of Butcher “Holler” Kentucky where she grew up dirt poor. She married at a young age and had four children by the time she was twenty. Her husband, Oliver "Doolittle" Lynn bought her a cheap guitar and she taught herself how to play. Eventually she broke into the country music business where she became a role model for every other woman who wanted to become a country music star.

I found this audiobook to be quite compelling. I read that Loretta wanted the writing to sound just like she does, so if you're looking for a book where the pronunciation is always correct and the editing is pristine, you might not enjoy this book. She wrote songs dealing with cheating husbands and persistent mistresses, inspired by issues she faced in her marriage. I was surprised to find out that many of Loretta's early songs were banned by country music stations like “The Pill” (birth control) and “One's On the Way” (repeated childbirth).

I thought this book was a fascinating story of her life, family, poverty stricken childhood and of course, her famously tumultuous marriage. The style of writing, an oral history, might be difficult for some to read but Cissy Spacek does a wonderful job of narrating. I think I'll see if I can find the movie now and see how the two compare. ( )
1 vote Olivermagnus | Sep 3, 2016 |
I remember watching the movie made from this book when I was a kid, so I had to read it. It was interesting, though I find some of her views a bit odd. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
It was all good, but honestly got less interesting after she got rich and famous. The real meat was her early days. ( )
  crazyreadergirl | Jan 26, 2015 |

Loretta Lynnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vecsey, Georgemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Spacek, SissyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Well, I look out the window and what do I see? The breeze is a-blowin' the leaves from the trees Everything is free---everything but me.....

- "I Wanna Be Free" by Loretta Lynn
To Doo, who had an idea

To Owen, who helped make that idea come true
Most people know that much about me, because those are the first words of my biggest song.

Born in 1935 into abject poverty, married at age thirteen, and a grandmother by age twenty-nine, Loretta Lynn went on to become one of the most prolific and influential singers in modern country music. The first woman to be named the Country Music Association’s Entertainer of the Year, Lynn boasts sixteen #1 singles, fifteen #1 albums, and sixty other hits including “Honky Tonk Girl,” “Before I’m Over You, “ “The Pill,” and “After the Fire Is Gone. “ Loretta Lynn: Coal Miner’s Daughter, a bestseller and the basis of the Oscar-winning film, is the intimate, revealing story of her journey from eastern Kentucky to Nashville to stardom to legend—told in her own voice, which rings as clear, natural, and powerful as the best of her songs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:57 -0400)

Overview: Born into deep poverty, married at thirteen, mother of six, and a grandmother by the time she was twenty-nine, Loretta Lynn went on to become one of the most prolific and influential songwriters and singers in modern country music. Here we see the determination and talent that led to her trailblazing career and made her the first woman to be named Entertainer of the Year by the country Music Association and the first woman to receive a gold record in country music.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,163,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible