Sacajawea by Anna Lee Waldo

Sacajawea (original 1978; edition 1978)

by Anna Lee Waldo

Member:peacelutheran
Title:Sacajawea
Authors:Anna Lee Waldo
Info:Avon Publishers, New York, New York
Tags:#03093

Sacajawea by Anna L. Waldo (1978)

English (11)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
Fictional biography of the Shoshone Indian who guided Lewis and Clark ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 10, 2017 |
very good and long book
is a true story ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 1, 2016 |
I loved the first half of this book, the fictional account of Sacajawea's part in the Lewis & Clark expedition. It's a tremendous saga. The second half is more speculative, less exciting, but the first half is worth five stars. I later read a historical account of the expedition by Steven Ambrose, "Undaunted Courage," which was more about Lewis and Clark and less about Sacajawea. It gave me another picture of what the expedition was like. All in all, a fascinating subject. ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Feb 11, 2016 |
Waldo created a momentous novel of epic proportion. That it took ten years to complete is understandable. The historical aspect of the trials and tribulations suffered by the First Nations at the hands of the early pioneers was well researched and authentic. Sacajawea, feminist, wisewoman and healer is not a character you can dismiss or forget. Waldo's depiction of the abused child, battered wife and grief-stricken mother is a tragic tale of courage. The end of the novel tore at my heart, my old grandmother was leaving me. She will live on beside me as I marvel at the sunset, and as I stand still and listen. ( )
  BooksUncovered | Feb 17, 2015 |
I have never read a book over a thousand pages long, but I could not put this one down.
Waldo not only introduces Sacajawea as the Indian woman who goes with Lewis and Clark expedition, but as the girl who almost dies herself going back to where they left her grandma, finding her dead and making sure the dead womans body is off the ground away from the hungry wolves. A girl who is captured by a different tribe of Indians that is foreign to her. A girl who grows into a strong woman and then a wise frail, old woman.
It was very interesting to learn about new tribes that are not often written about in the Historical Fiction genre. The Minnetares and Mandan were very interesting people. On the trip with Lewis and Clark several other new tribes were introduced. Learning about them was very interesting. The author regularly refers to actual, period writings. I felt a spoiler at times when a new chapter was introduced with the writings and I would get frustrated and not read them at all, perhaps if the author placed these at the end of the chapter it would have felt easier.
Also, there are clashing thoughts about when Sacajewea died. At that point in the book the author lists all of the reasons she was thought to have died young but instead would write on as if she had lived. At that point I almost wanted to stop reading, it felt like lies, but then she introduced new evidence that she may well have not been the indian woman who died years before.
I am glad that I continued on with the story and enjoyed reading about her time with the Comanche.
Sacajewa led a life of wonder, exploration, tragedy and triumph. The author melds her intense amount of research into a wonderfull story. The amount of notes at the end of the book is an incredible resource for the reader. I applaud Waldo for taking on this enormous task so that people like me could be entertained and educated at the same time. ( )
  Strawberryga | Dec 28, 2013 |
The tropical emotion that has created a legendary Sacajawea awaits study by some connoisseur of American Sentiments.--More statues have been erected to her than to any other American woman. Few others have had so much sentimental fantasy expended on them. --And the has received what in the United States counts a canonization if not deification: she has become an object of state pride and interstate rivalry.

Bernard DeVoto, The Course of Empire
In memory of my father,
Lee William Van Artsdale
It was early morning in the Agaiduka, the Salmon Eaters encampment, and struggling puffs of cooking-fire smoke reached into the chilly dawn air.
The epic novel revised and expanded - according to the cover.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380842939, Mass Market Paperback)

Clad in a doeskin, alone and unafraid, she stood straight and proud before the onrushing forces of America's destiny: Sacajawea, child of a Shoshoni chief, lone woman on Lewis and Clark's historic trek -- beautiful spear of a dying nation.

She knew many men, walked many miles. From the whispering prairies, across the Great Divide to the crystal capped Rockies and on to the emerald promise of the Pacific Northwest, her story over flows with emotion and action ripped from the bursting fabric of a raw new land.

Ten years in the writing, SACAJAWEA unfolds an immense canvas of people and events, and captures the eternal longings of a woman who always yearned for one great passion -- and always it lay beyond the next mountain.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:29 -0400)

Recreates the life and legend of the Shoshoni Indian as she struggles to survive among hostile tribes, is forced to become the wife of a French trader, and plays a pivotal role in the journeys of Lewis and Clark.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,295,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible