The Good Girl by Mary Kubica

The Good Girl (edition 2015)

by Mary Kubica

The daughter of a prominent Chicago judge and his socialite wife, inner-city art teacher Mia Dennett is taken hostage by her one-night stand, Colin Thatcher, who, instead of delivering her to his employers, hides her in a secluded cabin in rural Minnesota to keep her safe from harm.
Member:NatalieD
Title:The Good Girl
Authors:Mary Kubica
Info:
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:***1/2

The Good Girl by Mary Kubica

English (149)  Italian (1)  All languages (150)
I was annoyed at first that a lot of spoilers happened not even an hour into the book. However, looking back, I really enjoyed listening to multiple point-of-views. They allowed Mary Kubica to create a lot of suspense and tension between timelines. It was slow at first, but tons of action and suspense arrive towards the middle of the book. After listening to the Epilogue, I can't decide which characters I should sympathize with or like. I actually enjoy it when a book makes me feel that way. I liked the romantic sparks between the mother Eve and the detective. The story introduces and handles topics like over-bearing parents, Stock-Holmes Syndrome, and more very well. A piece of advice, I began enjoying the story more after I began listening to it everyday. ( )
  Belle98 | Feb 7, 2020 |
What a great psychological thriller. The end blew me away! ( )
  Tess_W | Jan 18, 2020 |
The publicity compared this novel to Gone Girl. Well, the word "Girl" is in both titles, but other than that, I'd say "No" to the comparison. The plot is about the kidnapping of a judge's adult daughter. The chapters are alternating first-person narratives from the kidnapper, the mother, the police detective, and finally at the end, the victim. Different time frames were used with each chapter having a headline either for Before or After the victim returns home. Sometimes it was confusing if I didn't pay close attention to the headline.

Somehow I managed to stick with the book even though I found it hard to connect with any of the characters. There was a lot of repetition especially about the cold weather and the few twists were predictable. The book ended with some questions and confusion for me. ( )
  pegmcdaniel | Jan 15, 2020 |
Really good with an extra twist at the end ( )
  karenshann | Dec 31, 2019 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

Mia, daughter of a famous judge, got abducted and was held for three months in a cabin in the middle of nowhere. She returns home, but now suffers from -amongst other things- selective amnesia.

I finished this book a week ago but I'm still not sure what to think about it. In the end, the details are already fading at an increasing speed and it just wasn't anything special. Multiple POVs, although loved by authors, seldom have the power to suck me into a story the way a normal, single POV can. It's not just the POVs that change, the story jumps all over the timeline as well. This took some getting used to.

Looking at the story, I can only conclude that it wasn't really special or surprising to me. I've read a lot of suspense novels, and this one doesn't stand out. The twist and the

Stockholm Syndrome

couldn't surprise me either.

I got annoyed by a few things that I thought were heavily oversimplified or generalized (and didn't really make any sense to mention in this kind of book). So you're only one Google search away from becoming a dream expert (and, to be honest, you seriously couldn't figure out that eggs would have to do something with new life? I mean, it's not that this is obviously happening in birds -and if you like to call an oocyt an egg also in humans - all the time!). And, obviously, it's all women's biggest wish to marry well and have a lot of kids. Yeah right.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't terrible to read. For a first book it was promising in a way. I just think I have outgrown the genre and I'm looking for something more. The writing wasn't very special but fast to read. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |

Benton, CaroleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Plassmann, JensTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuitemaker, KarinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For A & A
I'm sitting at the breakfast nook sipping from a mug of cocoa when the phone rings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,398,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible