There Goes Gravity: A Life in Rock and Roll…

There Goes Gravity: A Life in Rock and Roll (2014)

by Lisa Robinson

7520160,370 (3.27)8

Boring. A waste of time. In the grand scheme of things, who cares? Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this. Read a couple of chapters, then put it down. Too much about the Stones; I've never been a fan. Sorry! ( )
  debbie-1955 | May 7, 2016 |
I enjoy books about rock and roll, including those written by critics. I loved Ellen Willis and Lillian Roxon, especially - female critics are a rare breed. This memoir contains LP writing (John Lennon, Jagger, Bowie, Led Zeppelin, New York Dolls, Ramones, Michael Jackson, U2, Patti Smith, Clash) and 45s (Kanye, Jay Z, Iggy Pop, Television, Gaga, Eminem, Lou Reed). But there's so little about the music itself that it's basically "A Guide To Who I Hung Out With". ( )
1 vote froxgirl | Jul 22, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
i received There Goes Gravity: A Life in Rock and Roll by Lisa Robinson as a selection from LibraryThing Early Reviewers. While I expected this book to be more about Lisa Robinson and her life as a rock journalist, I found, in my opinion, that wasn't particularly the case. Though she does write about how/why/where she met with all these people in the rock scene, there is more about what those individuals/groups had to say/did than I thought there would be. I found this book to be quite interesting, but preferred to read it a chapter or so at a time, instead of cover to cover as you would a "regular" memoir or novel. ( )
  PeggyK49 | May 27, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Robinson was a rockjournalist/fan/almost a groupie. She’s written a memoir, which covers rock and roll from the Stones to Gaga. The chapters on the early punk rock scene in NYC (CBGB’s, The New York Dolls, Patti Smith) were probably the most interesting. I was also intrigued by her descriptions of Michael Jackson and of Eminem.

The book is interesting if you want rock and roll gossip. To me, it kind of dragged on; story after story, lots of name-dropping, but not a coherent whole. ( )
  banjo123 | May 11, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lisa Robinson writes the story of her career in rock journalism picking a few acts to write in depth about showing their place in music history and her place in covering them. She was one of the first rock journalists, but the problem with that is as someone who began the field, she was working before the boundaries between journalist and subject were set (if they ever quite are in pop culture journalism; Robinson at least acknowledges this) and her 1970s work borders on the promotional. This book was more gossipy than I had expected when I requested this; I had thought it would have been more about the working life of a rock journalist. She does mention following small bands in buses and vans and the crap hotel rooms, but the bulk of the book is on her coverage of world superstars and thus we get a whole bunch of stories about artists she is more or less friendly with. ( )
  bunnygirl | May 6, 2014 |

Lisa Robinson has interviewed everyone from John Lennon to Bono to Patti Smith, Eminem to Lady Gaga to Jay Z and Kanye West. She's talked nail polish with a fourteen-year-old Michael Jackson and introduced David Bowie to Lou Reed at a Manhattan restaurant. She helped The Clash and Elvis Costello get their record deals, was on a private plane with The Rolling Stones during a lightning storm, and was with Led Zeppelin when their tour manager pulled out a gun. Unlike any other journalist who covered this world, she was the only woman in this exclusive boys' club, and she shares here stories all together here for the first time.

An influential music columnist for"The New York Post" presents an insider's assessment of major rock-and-roll personalities while tracing her career and the genre's evolution throughout the past four decades.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Lisa Robinson's book There Goes Gravity was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,599,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible