Invisible Beasts by Sharona Muir

Invisible Beasts

by Sharona Muir

I received this book for free with another book that I won from LibraryThing.

The concept of this book is very unique so I loved that aspect.

This book contains a series of vignettes and I liked some more than others. Some were boring, but others were really interesting and thought provoking. Some of my favorites were, “The Keen-Ears,” “Truth Bats,” “The Riddle of Invisible Dogs,” The Antarctic Glass Kraken,” “The Spiders of Theodora,” “The Hypnogator,” “Grand Tour Butterflies,” and “Think Monkey.”

What this book really lacked were illustrations. I would have loved to seen pictures and diagrams of these invisible beasts.

Overall, this was a different but intriguing read. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Dec 22, 2017 |
This is a loosely connected collection of short stories. While the beast that feature in each of the stories are mythical, there is a healthy dose of real facts woven in which promoted me to classify this as creative non fiction. The stories are whimsical and insightful offering an interesting window and perspective into the human condition. ( )
  ZephyrusW | Jun 11, 2017 |
(free publishers copy)

review tk ( )
  maribou | Sep 27, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I requested this through the Early Reviewer program and was really looking forward to it, but it turned out I could just not get into it. I found it interesting, an imagining and detailed bio/description of creates no one ever sees, but for me it read more like non-fiction essays than fiction or even short stories. Which may have been deliberate, but just didn't suit me at the time. Extremely creative and enveloping in the way the author describes the creatures.
  herzogbr | Feb 26, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm a bit at a loss as to how to rate this book, a bestiary of imaginary animals (the conceit is that only the narrator, Sophie, and a chosen few others in her family, skipping generations, can see them). Each chapter is a sort of miniature, each in a slightly different register: some broadly comic, some drily witty, some plaintive and ruminating, most waxing lyrical, at times to beautiful effect and at times overreaching.

Generally I appreciate books that are light on plot, so I'm a bit surprised that I found this difficult to get into. Perhaps it's because the vignettes, when they break from a close focus on particular invisible beasts, gesture toward some drama surrounding the narrator and her sister, a scientist, who may believe this perhaps-unreliable narrator or who may only be humoring her. It's just that their thinly sketched relationship isn't made of strong enough stuff to sustain the weight of that kind of speculation. At heart, it's not a character-driven narrative.

What I'm perhaps most interested by is this book's surprising approach to an ecological call to arms, entered into slantwise, as though from a consideration of a faux-Zen koan. When an invisible beast is endangered or goes extinct, does anyone notice? It's a setup that helps us question our usual compartmentalization of the natural world, but I'm not sure that its one that can really sustain a long-form narrative. Still, something to be had here for the right readers. ( )
  seidchen | Sep 24, 2014 |

"Sophie is an amateur naturalist with a rare genetic gift: the ability to see a marvelous kingdom of invisible, sentient creatures that share a vital, symbiotic relationship with humankind. To record her observations, Sophie creates a personal bestiary and, as she relates the strange abilities of these endangered beings, her tales become extraordinary meditations on love, sex, evolution, extinction, truth, and self-knowledge"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sharona Muir's book Invisible Beasts was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,613,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible