Serpent in Paradise by Dea Birkett

Serpent in Paradise

by Dea Birkett

1193145,728 (4.1)8

English (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (3)
I enjoyed this book. The story of a woman who visited Pitcairn as a journalist, Utopias Elsewhere gives us a look inside and extremely insular community challnged by a long term decline in population and a culture that has tremendous mistrust of outsiders. Perhaps for good reason. I read this book before the revelations about pedophilia in the community, and found it interesting that this side of the society was so carefully kept from the author. I empathized with both the writer and the full time residents -- who surely are tired of being viewed as cultures in a test tube. A very good read about a place that doesn't have many windows into its soul. ( )
  Oreillynsf | Apr 20, 2010 |
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. I have always been fascinated by Pitcairn Island, and this made me decide that there is no way I want to go there. I appreciate the author's dilemma, being there after so many travails, and having to figure out a way to either fit in or go home. I think that it was well written, if predictable. I would recommend it to others to read. ( )
  WalkerWilliams | Feb 8, 2010 |
Birkett's wryly, sometimes wickedly observant commentary drives this entertaining account, but one is also chilled by the degree to which a society will shun outsiders. A rare and instructive work.
added by John_Vaughan | editKirkus Review (Jun 26, 2011)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385488718, Paperback)

Most people know the story of the Mutiny on the Bounty, how in 1789 Captain Bligh's crew mutinied then founded their paradise on Pitcairn Island. Two centuries later, the mutineers' descendants still live on Pitcairn with no cars, doctors, crime, or regular contact with the outside world, despite the hordes of paradise-seekers who deluge the island with requests, most of which are refused. After two years' persistence and 4,000 miles aboard a chemical tanker, Dea Birkett finally made her way to Pitcairn, but the island paradise has a dark legacy. Birkett's account is a fascinating look at a tight community with a notorious past and a shady present.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:26 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,252,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible