Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Seventeenth Summer (1942)

by Maureen Daly

Seventeen-year-old Angie, living with her family in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, finds herself in love for the first time the summer after high school graduation.

It was really hard to get into this one, but I decided to picture Angie as a young Katherine Hepburn, and that helped me stay in the right era (well, almost).

As a historical artifact, this book shows so much about gender roles and expectations, and class issues of the time. It also displays the kind of simplistic, rosy atmosphere of the literature for young people 65 years ago. However, I don't necessarily think that this book needs to be relegated to the archives just yet. While the characters are extraordinarily bland, much detail and description is given to the landscape. Also, the overly melodramatic tone of Angie's thoughts is sure to appeal to readers the way that Anne Shirley's and Jo March's do.

Seventeen Summer makes an excellent read-together with The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks (Lockhart), because it perfectly represents the world that Frankie is so ardently rebelling against.

In the end, I found myself becoming rather sentimental about ol' Angie and Jack, very much the way I might when watching old movies. As contemporary fiction, this book is rather appalling; but as historical fiction, I think it still works. ( )
  amandabock | Dec 10, 2019 |
I really enjoyed the writing style of this one. it was written in the 1940s and it really shows - hold hands was a big deal. it was a fun quick read that really sucked me in. ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
Oh my goodness, just the title brings back the breathless feeling of reading a more-or-less forbidden book, and of being part of a little group of girls who couldn't wait to get their hands on it, and join in the naughtiness. I don't remember at ALL what was so risqué about it for a 13-year-old, but it stands out as being the only book I can recall eliciting all that teeny-bop nuttiness.
1 vote lulaa | Sep 25, 2016 |
I read this book when I was a teen. I was absolutely sucked into Angie's world. ( )
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
I don't know just why I'm telling you all this.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,537,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible