dismiss

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Northanger Abbey (1818)

by Jane Austen

17,259357189 (3.82)2 / 1241
"When Catherine Morland, a country clergyman's daughter, is invited to spend a season in Bath with the fashionable high society, little does she imagine the delights and perils that await her. Captivated and disconcerted by what she finds, and introduced to the joys of 'Gothic novels' by her new friend, Isabella, Catherine longs for mystery and romance. When she is invited to stay with the beguiling Henry Tilney and his family at Northanger Abbey, she expects mystery and intrigue at every turn. However, the truth turns out to be even stranger than fiction ..."--Container.… (more)
    The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe (upstairsgirl, HollyMS)
    upstairsgirl: This is the book that Austen's heroine is reading (and which Austen is wryly mocking) in Northanger Abbey. Fun to read with each other; Udolpho is possibly less fun on its own.
    Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another brilliant parody.
    Evelina by Frances Burney (flissp)
    The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation: A Christmas Story by Louisa May Alcott (aulsmith)
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (kara.shamy)
    Nightmare Abbey [and] Crotchet Castle by Thomas Love Peacock (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both satirize gothic gaspers.
    The Italian by Ann Radcliffe (kara.shamy)
    Cousin Kate by Georgette Heyer (inge87)
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (TheLittlePhrase)
    TheLittlePhrase: protagonists who struggle to differentiate between reality & the books that they read
1810s (7)

English (333)  Spanish (6)  Italian (4)  German (4)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (355)
Enjoyable audiobook, though Catherine is really in need of some actual world experience. And a better choice of friends. I also found the change in Austen's writing style interesting. This is not my favorite of her works, but I did enjoy it. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
3.5 stars

Rereading this 20yrs after the first time was quite a different experience, I wish I had time to reread a lot of other books.

Catherine's nativity was more pronounced, John and Isabella Thorpe made my blood pressure rise, the Gothic satire portion didn't play as big a part as I remembered, Henry was an intuitive dear but Austen also delivered a fourth wall breaking line that killed the romance for me, and the ending felt rushed.

For quotes, comments, and a deeper discussion of thoughts and feelings: Northanger Abbey buddy read ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | May 10, 2020 |
Normally I adore Jane Austen's books, but this one was UNBEARABLE. I don't know what went wrong, except perhaps that the "heroine" was far too naive and stupid for my tastes. I found no redeeming quality except her sweetness. And the misunderstandings caused made me question how her family could let her out into society knowing so little, and with people so genuinely uninterested in her well-being. Overall unlike any of Jane Austen's other books and what she was trying to do (gothic satire or not) was lost on me. ( )
  book_lady15 | Apr 3, 2020 |
Not my favorite Austen, but definitely worth a read for any Austen fan. Austen had a knack for writing duplicitous characters. Isabella Thorpe, I'm looking at you. I loved all the references to the Gothic novels of the time. ( )
  TheTrueBookAddict | Mar 22, 2020 |
I was so torn by trying to rate this OWC edition of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey and several short stories (one complete, two fragments). If I rated it based on Northanger Abbey, I'd have to give it 1 star. I hated it. I also disliked The Watsons and Sandition, though as these were unfinished or discarded manuscripts, it's not fair to judge them too harshly.

But, were I to rate this collection solely on Lady Susan, I wouldn't hesitate to say 5 stars immediately. I am a huge fan of the epistolary format. Mary Shelley (Frankenstein) and Goethe (The Sorrows of Young Werther) introduced me to this style and I've been drawn to it ever since. Lady Susan was a fast-paced, exciting story that used letters between the various actors to explain and further the plot and show us the characters internal and external thoughts. This story saved the volume for me! I loved it and couldn't wait to read each succeeding letter.

I ended up choosing 3 stars for an overall rating. When I next pick up this book, maybe I'll boost it up another star, to recognize Lady Susan. ( )
  drew_asson | Mar 22, 2020 |

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

No one who ever had seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be an heroine.
"Oh! It is only a novel!" replies the young lady, while she lays down her book with affected indifference, or momentary shame. "It is only Cecilia, or Camilla, or Belinda"; or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language.
Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love.
...but while I have Udolpho to read, I feel as if nobody could make me miserable.
Young people do not like to be always thwarted.
Give me but a little cheerful company, let me only have the company of the people I love, let me be where I like and with whom I like, and the devil may take the rest
This LT work, Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, is the original form of this novel. Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey [ISBN 1854598376] is a dramatization of this work by Tim Luscombe. Please do not combine the two; thank you.
This "work" contains copies without enough information. The title might refer to the book by Jane Austen or a (movie) adaptation, so this "work" should not be combined with any of them. If you are an owner of one of these copies, please add information such as author name or ISBN that can help identify its rightful home. After editing your copy, it might still need further separation and recombination work. Feel free to ask in the Combiners! group if you have questions or need help. Thanks.

Catherine, at seventeen, is an insatiable reader of 'horrid' novels full of villainous monks, secret corridors and blameless heroines. So, when, during an eventful visit to Bath, she is invited to the Tilneys' family home, Northanger Abbey, her cup is full. The quizzical Henry Tilney embarrasses her by guessing at her vivid speculations and she fears that she has lost his good opinion for ever. Just as she begins to hope again, his father inexplicably banishes her...In a lively novel, portraying social life in fashionable Bath and the terrors of an imposing country house, Jane Austen exposes the dangers of an over-active imagination, of mistaken ideals and of bad faith. But while Catherine's youthful blunders are treated with reconciling good humour, hypocrisy, avarice and social climbing are unmercifully delineated in this joyously incisive love story.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439793, 0141028130, 0141194855, 0141197714, 0141389427

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102057, 1400110785

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175366, 1909175374

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,702,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible