Northanger Abbey (Barnes & Noble Classics)…

Northanger Abbey (Barnes & Noble Classics) (original 1818; edition 2005)

by Jane Austen, Alfred Mac Adam (Introduction)

14,946311131 (3.82)2 / 1112
Member:hemlokgang
Title:Northanger Abbey (Barnes & Noble Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Alfred Mac Adam (Introduction)
Info:Barnes & Noble Classics (2005), Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:1001 TBR, Film, England

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (1818)

The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe (upstairsgirl, HollyMS)
    upstairsgirl: This is the book that Austen's heroine is reading (and which Austen is wryly mocking) in Northanger Abbey. Fun to read with each other; Udolpho is possibly less fun on its own.
    Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another brilliant parody.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (kara.shamy)
    Evelina by Frances Burney (flissp)
    The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation: A Christmas Story by Louisa May Alcott (aulsmith)
    Nightmare Abbey & Crotchet Castle by Thomas Love Peacock (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both satirize gothic gaspers.
    Cousin Kate by Georgette Heyer (inge87)
    The Italian by Ann Radcliffe (kara.shamy)
Satire (12)
1810s (7)

English (290)  Spanish (6)  Italian (4)  German (4)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (311)
A brief biography of the heroine Catherine, whose naivete and good will bring about all sorts of mild adventures. Classic romance of Austen's. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
Austen’s earliest written yet last published of her most famous novels is, arguably, her most satirical work and an absolute gem. An undeniably feisty narration, easily envisioned as the impervious Jane with its invaluable commentary on novel reading and writing of the era, follows the heroine Catherine Morland as she blunders adorably through society and her misconceptions about life and romance. Endearing in her innocence and preoccupation with projecting the plots of melodramatic gothic novels onto her everyday experiences, it is impossible to not sympathize with and encourage the young heroine simultaneously as she struggles to right herself. In spite of its subtle flaws, or perhaps because of them, Northanger Abbey serves as a unique juxtaposition to Austen’s later writing style and subject matter; a quietly comic literary achievement. ( )
1 vote GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
This is the third book I've read by Jane Austen. I loved it.

Catherine is so innocent and bright eyed. She's a bit sheltered but that's her charm. More people should be like her I think. I am absolutely in love with Henry and Eleanor. What wonderful friends to have, albeit their father is an arse.

The great thing about this book is the license that Ms. Austen took writing it. I like how it seems that she herself is telling me this story about a friend she knows. Very campfire story-esque.

It's also very neat how I picked up the language so quickly. It got easier to read as I kept going, like Pride and Prejudice, and now I find myself at a loss as to what to read next. The last few books I've read have been absolutely fantastic, with thick stories, well thought out characters, that I'm just unsure of where to go. One cannot read Stephen King after reading such a classic. The language, the words, the phrases, that's what I want - more of that. ( )
1 vote wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
I figured I had to read something of Austen's, so I'd be able to say I've read Austen. I found it very... Austen-ish. What a surprise. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
A classic, light-hearted tale of a young woman who has trouble distinguishing between fact and the fantastical tales of ‘horror’ and mystery she reads. A great satire told in humorous style.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Mar 2, 2017 |

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

No one who ever had seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be an heroine.
"Oh! It is only a novel!" replies the young lady, while she lays down her book with affected indifference, or momentary shame. "It is only Cecilia, or Camilla, or Belinda"; or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language.
Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love.
...but while I have Udolpho to read, I feel as if nobody could make me miserable.
Young people do not like to be always thwarted.
Give me but a little cheerful company, let me only have the company of the people I love, let me be where I like and with whom I like, and the devil may take the rest
This LT work, Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, is the original form of this novel. Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey [ISBN 1854598376] is a dramatization of this work by Tim Luscombe. Please do not combine the two; thank you.

Catherine, at seventeen, is an insatiable reader of 'horrid' novels full of villainous monks, secret corridors and blameless heroines. So, when, during an eventful visit to Bath, she is invited to the Tilneys' family home, Northanger Abbey, her cup is full. The quizzical Henry Tilney embarrasses her by guessing at her vivid speculations and she fears that she has lost his good opinion for ever. Just as she begins to hope again, his father inexplicably banishes her...In a lively novel, portraying social life in fashionable Bath and the terrors of an imposing country house, Jane Austen exposes the dangers of an over-active imagination, of mistaken ideals and of bad faith. But while Catherine's youthful blunders are treated with reconciling good humour, hypocrisy, avarice and social climbing are unmercifully delineated in this joyously incisive love story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439793, Paperback)

Though Northanger Abbey is one of Jane Austen's earliest novels, it was not published until after her death--well after she'd established her reputation with works such as Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Sense and Sensibility. Of all her novels, this one is the most explicitly literary in that it is primarily concerned with books and with readers. In it, Austen skewers the novelistic excesses of her day made popular in such 18th-century Gothic potboilers as Ann Radcliffe's The Mysteries of Udolpho. Decrepit castles, locked rooms, mysterious chests, cryptic notes, and tyrannical fathers all figure into Northanger Abbey, but with a decidedly satirical twist. Consider Austen's introduction of her heroine: we are told on the very first page that "no one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be an heroine." The author goes on to explain that Miss Morland's father is a clergyman with "a considerable independence, besides two good livings--and he was not in the least addicted to locking up his daughters." Furthermore, her mother does not die giving birth to her, and Catherine herself, far from engaging in "the more heroic enjoyments of infancy, nursing a dormouse, feeding a canary-bird, or watering a rose-bush" vastly prefers playing cricket with her brothers to any girlish pastimes.

Catherine grows up to be a passably pretty girl and is invited to spend a few weeks in Bath with a family friend. While there she meets Henry Tilney and his sister Eleanor, who invite her to visit their family estate, Northanger Abbey. Once there, Austen amuses herself and us as Catherine, a great reader of Gothic romances, allows her imagination to run wild, finding dreadful portents in the most wonderfully prosaic events. But Austen is after something more than mere parody; she uses her rapier wit to mock not only the essential silliness of "horrid" novels, but to expose the even more horrid workings of polite society, for nothing Catherine imagines could possibly rival the hypocrisy she experiences at the hands of her supposed friends. In many respects Northanger Abbey is the most lighthearted of Jane Austen's novels, yet at its core is a serious, unsentimental commentary on love and marriage, 19th-century British style. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:38 -0400)

The romantic folly of young Catherine Morland whose entry into life in nineteenth-century England is attended by the collapse of many illusions.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439793, 0141028130, 0141194855, 0141197714, 0141389427

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102057, 1400110785

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175366, 1909175374

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,072,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible