SantaThing sign up ends in 3:17 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Northanger Abbey (Barnes & Noble Classics)…

Northanger Abbey (Barnes & Noble Classics) (original 1818; edition 2005)

by Jane Austen, Alfred Mac Adam (Introduction)

14,518304138 (3.81)2 / 1080
Member:hemlokgang
Title:Northanger Abbey (Barnes & Noble Classics)
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Alfred Mac Adam (Introduction)
Info:Barnes & Noble Classics (2005), Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:1001 TBR, Film, England

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (1818)

The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe (upstairsgirl, Hollerama)
    upstairsgirl: This is the book that Austen's heroine is reading (and which Austen is wryly mocking) in Northanger Abbey. Fun to read with each other; Udolpho is possibly less fun on its own.
    Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another brilliant parody.
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (kara.shamy)
    Evelina by Frances Burney (flissp)
    The Italian by Ann Radcliffe (kara.shamy)
    The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation: A Christmas Story by Louisa May Alcott (aulsmith)
    Nightmare Abbey & Crotchet Castle by Thomas Love Peacock (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both satirize gothic gaspers.
    Cousin Kate by Georgette Heyer (inge87)
1810s (7)

English (284)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Italian (4)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  English (304)
I've now read Northanger Abbey several times. The first time I read it, I found it somewhat lacking in comparison to Austen's other works. On further reflection, I see much that I missed on my first go round. Catherine is a silly girl, wrapped up in her misguided belief that gothic romances reflect reality. On the other hand, Henry Tilney is the most engaging of Austen's heroes. Unlike the brooding Mr. Darcy and the haunted Colonel Brandon, Tilney is open and friendly, making the romance more simple than in her other books, but nonetheless sweet.

Although Northanger remains a lesser favorite of mine (nothing can replace Pride and Prejudice as my all-time favorite novel, and Emma and Sense & Sensibility have been long favorites), it still ranks highly in my library.

Definitely a good read! ( )
  aharey | Nov 30, 2016 |
It is so refreshing to read a book that does not have sex, violence and profanity! Modern authors seem to have lost this mysterious art of being able to write a good book without the above mentioned "trinity." Jane Austen's works excel not only in quality of writing (which seems missing in modern authors), but quality of subject. I watched two or three screen renditions of this book and not a single one was able to capture Miss Austen's story. Catherine is not a stupid girl with an absurdly idiotic imagination. If you watched the movies and read this book you will understand my inference. Miss Austen writings all seem to me guided toward good. Henry Tilney is, as all Miss Austen's heroes seem to be, a charming man, elegant and respectful. But unlike other male characters (heroes) of her books, he has a delightful, even teasing sense of humor. His witty comments made me chuckle more than once. I am not a great writer of reviews, so my advice is read it. Even if you don't like the story very much, the writer style will certainly captivate you. ( )
1 vote MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
Not one of Jane Austen's finest books, but still well worth reading. Things I noticed:

1. I'd forgotten what a brat Catherine is. She's worse than Emma! Going through the furniture in the house where she's staying, suspecting her crush's father of murdering his mother....she kind of deserved to be sent packing in a "hack post-chaise."

2. Aw, I really like Henry Tilney. So worried about the erosion of the English language! Whatever would he have to say about "impactful"?

3. Austen mounts a stirring defense of the novel--"It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language"--but basically every foolish, embarrassing, blameworthy thing that Catherine does is due to something she read...in a novel. I get that Austen is satirizing a particular genre of novel, but it would have been nice to see something positive that Catherine took away from, say, Camilla. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Dare I admit, this was the hardest Jane Austen novel I've yet read to get through? To be fair, I'm far from a big Austen fan - Charlotte Bronte is more my cup of tea - but I was actually intrigued by the synopsis for Northanger Abbey and how different it seemed from some of Austen's other novels. Overall, I found this book to be good, but not great. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Oct 29, 2016 |
My reading experience mirrored our naive heroine Catherine's: I too wanted gothic horrors and was disappointed by the reality. Instead it's mostly a gentle comedy about teenagers getting crushes. ( )
  xicohtli | Jul 20, 2016 |

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

No one who ever had seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be an heroine.
"Oh! It is only a novel!" replies the young lady, while she lays down her book with affected indifference, or momentary shame. "It is only Cecilia, or Camilla, or Belinda"; or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language.
Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love.
...but while I have Udolpho to read, I feel as if nobody could make me miserable.
Young people do not like to be always thwarted.
Give me but a little cheerful company, let me only have the company of the people I love, let me be where I like and with whom I like, and the devil may take the rest
This LT work, Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, is the original form of this novel. Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey [ISBN 1854598376] is a dramatization of this work by Tim Luscombe. Please do not combine the two; thank you.

Catherine, at seventeen, is an insatiable reader of 'horrid' novels full of villainous monks, secret corridors and blameless heroines. So, when, during an eventful visit to Bath, she is invited to the Tilneys' family home, Northanger Abbey, her cup is full. The quizzical Henry Tilney embarrasses her by guessing at her vivid speculations and she fears that she has lost his good opinion for ever. Just as she begins to hope again, his father inexplicably banishes her...In a lively novel, portraying social life in fashionable Bath and the terrors of an imposing country house, Jane Austen exposes the dangers of an over-active imagination, of mistaken ideals and of bad faith. But while Catherine's youthful blunders are treated with reconciling good humour, hypocrisy, avarice and social climbing are unmercifully delineated in this joyously incisive love story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439793, Paperback)

Though Northanger Abbey is one of Jane Austen's earliest novels, it was not published until after her death--well after she'd established her reputation with works such as Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Sense and Sensibility. Of all her novels, this one is the most explicitly literary in that it is primarily concerned with books and with readers. In it, Austen skewers the novelistic excesses of her day made popular in such 18th-century Gothic potboilers as Ann Radcliffe's The Mysteries of Udolpho. Decrepit castles, locked rooms, mysterious chests, cryptic notes, and tyrannical fathers all figure into Northanger Abbey, but with a decidedly satirical twist. Consider Austen's introduction of her heroine: we are told on the very first page that "no one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be an heroine." The author goes on to explain that Miss Morland's father is a clergyman with "a considerable independence, besides two good livings--and he was not in the least addicted to locking up his daughters." Furthermore, her mother does not die giving birth to her, and Catherine herself, far from engaging in "the more heroic enjoyments of infancy, nursing a dormouse, feeding a canary-bird, or watering a rose-bush" vastly prefers playing cricket with her brothers to any girlish pastimes.

Catherine grows up to be a passably pretty girl and is invited to spend a few weeks in Bath with a family friend. While there she meets Henry Tilney and his sister Eleanor, who invite her to visit their family estate, Northanger Abbey. Once there, Austen amuses herself and us as Catherine, a great reader of Gothic romances, allows her imagination to run wild, finding dreadful portents in the most wonderfully prosaic events. But Austen is after something more than mere parody; she uses her rapier wit to mock not only the essential silliness of "horrid" novels, but to expose the even more horrid workings of polite society, for nothing Catherine imagines could possibly rival the hypocrisy she experiences at the hands of her supposed friends. In many respects Northanger Abbey is the most lighthearted of Jane Austen's novels, yet at its core is a serious, unsentimental commentary on love and marriage, 19th-century British style. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:38 -0400)

The romantic folly of young Catherine Morland whose entry into life in nineteenth-century England is attended by the collapse of many illusions.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439793, 0141028130, 0141194855, 0141197714, 0141389427

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102057, 1400110785

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,650,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible