La abadía de Northanger by Jane Austen

La abadía de Northanger (original 1817; edition 2012)

by Jane Austen, Guillermo Lorenzo (Translator)

12,718None182 (3.82)2 / 883
Member:Noemi_Paris
Title:La abadía de Northanger
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Guillermo Lorenzo (Translator)
Info:Alba : Colección Jane Austen
Collections:Literatura Anglosaxona

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (1817)

1001 (68) 1001 books (72) 19th century (465) Austen (254) British (255) British literature (233) classic (767) classic fiction (67) Classic Literature (77) classics (634) ebook (105) England (266) English (124) English literature (242) fiction (1,731) gothic (292) humor (80) Jane Austen (330) Kindle (86) literature (355) novel (305) own (103) parody (74) read (182) regency (168) romance (438) satire (166) to-read (171) unread (97) women (68)
    The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe (upstairsgirl, Hollerama)
    upstairsgirl: This is the book that Austen's heroine is reading (and which Austen is wryly mocking) in Northanger Abbey. Fun to read with each other; Udolpho is possibly less fun on its own.
    Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another brilliant parody.
    Evelina by Frances Burney (flissp)
    The Italian by Ann Radcliffe (kara.shamy)
    Nightmare Abbey & Crotchet Castle by Thomas Love Peacock (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both satirize gothic gaspers.
    Cousin Kate by Georgette Heyer (inge87)
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (kara.shamy)

English (223)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (239)
After all that I'd heard about the book, I was surprised at how little space the Gothic aspect of the plot actually took up, and I enjoyed the story more than I thought I would. I found it amusing how Austen inserted her own blatant recommendations for novels within the novel, and the satirical way she handled her characters was entertaining. To borrow a quote from Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "Miss Austen understood the smallness of life to perfection. She was a great artist." ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Apr 10, 2014 |
Hysterically funny, especially if you've read any of the gothic novels of her time. I particularly like the authoress injecting herself into the narrative, speaking of her own feelings about her characters. She clearly doesn't take herself too seriously... ( )
1 vote KirkLowery | Mar 4, 2014 |
The novel, Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen, is about a girl named Catherine Morland who travels to the city of Bath with the owner of her home-town, Mr.Allen, who invited her to accompany his wife on a business trip. Throughout her stay at Bath she meets the Thorpe and the Tilney families, who parade her around town creating teen relationships that aren’t what they seem to be. The Tilney family then invites her to an abbey, extending her visit away from home. This book was confusing, baffling, difficult-to-read, and complex. Austen made the sentences tediously long, with more commas than usual. Due to this book being written early 1800’s, and in England, the vernacular and complex vocabulary was very hard to comprehend. Austen’s book never seemed to develop the plot quickly and was very slow with moving the story along. There never seemed to be any variation in what the characters did during their time spent in Bath. Austen would constantly have the characters going on walks or to balls or visits to the “pump room.” But most of all, Catherine constantly seemed to be have thoughts that would go on for pages. Time and time again I would find myself asking, “where are we,” or “why does this matter?” Austen’s book seemed to be lacking “the hook” that makes the reader feel for the character, the “hook” being an emotional appeal that connects the reader to the characters’ emotions. Because I had little to no idea of what was going on in the book, I started to lose interest in the book. The book’s main theme is centered around how difficult it is growing up and becoming an adult. Because the main theme is so broad, and covers a vast number of ideas, other sub-themes are revealed within it. Some themes which stemmed off of the main one are; how difficult it is to find a true soul mate and how to respond to atrocious behavior. Although some people who like old-English novels might enjoy this book, I found no part of this book interesting or enjoyable.
  zaneyp6 | Mar 3, 2014 |
I thought this book was going to be a little bit different. So my expectations had me confused for a little while, but I came to my senses relatively quick. It’s Jane Austen, after all. All her novels are satire, so I have no idea why I decided that this one was going to be any different. Now that I’m writing this, I can actually parallel my confusion and certain attraction towards the supernatural to Catherine’s notions about abbeys and castles and old chests and so on. Look at me, I became the willing victim of Austen’s sharp wit, two centuries later. I love that lady.

Would be silly to say that I didn’t like the book, because I really, really did. Several passages I found especially relatable (I hate that word, but it’s true). And as always I marvel at Austen’s ability to do so much with such a small world. Yet Northanger Abbey did not become my favourite Austen novel. Rather typically that place is still occupied by Pride and Prejudice.

I read this book translated to Russian, because that’s how I began reading her novels years ago. Now that I have an e-reader, though, I could go a little bit in parallel with the original, looking up certain sentences and words (and marvelling at my complete lack of skill of translating fiction). Earlier I thought that Austen’s novels don’t lose much due to translation, but now that I had a chance to compare, I realise how wrong I was. It’s a little less painful than with Dickens, but painful enough for me to reconsider reading Persuasion in Russian, and to really just bleeding reconsider reading any other work originally penned in English in translation. Indeed, everything is lost in translation. Or, in the case of Austen, unnecessarily gained: the Russian parts that I managed to compare to English ones had much more unnecessary flourish in them than Austen would allow.

(Review originally published on my blog, shortened and republished here.) ( )
  cupocofe | Feb 20, 2014 |
Characters were childish. This is the first Jane Austen book I have read and was highly disappointed. ( )
  jamesfallen | Feb 7, 2014 |

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

No one who ever had seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be an heroine.
"Oh! It is only a novel!" replies the young lady, while she lays down her book with affected indifference, or momentary shame. "It is only Cecilia, or Camilla, or Belinda"; or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language.
Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love.
...but while I have Udolpho to read, I feel as if nobody could make me miserable.
Young people do not like to be always thwarted.
Give me but a little cheerful company, let me only have the company of the people I love, let me be where I like and with whom I like, and the devil may take the rest
This LT work, Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, is the original form of this novel. Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey [ISBN 1854598376] is a dramatization of this work by Tim Luscombe. Please do not combine the two; thank you.

Catherine, at seventeen, is an insatiable reader of 'horrid' novels full of villainous monks, secret corridors and blameless heroines. So, when, during an eventful visit to Bath, she is invited to the Tilneys' family home, Northanger Abbey, her cup is full. The quizzical Henry Tilney embarrasses her by guessing at her vivid speculations and she fears that she has lost his good opinion for ever. Just as she begins to hope again, his father inexplicably banishes her...In a lively novel, portraying social life in fashionable Bath and the terrors of an imposing country house, Jane Austen exposes the dangers of an over-active imagination, of mistaken ideals and of bad faith. But while Catherine's youthful blunders are treated with reconciling good humour, hypocrisy, avarice and social climbing are unmercifully delineated in this joyously incisive love story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439793, Paperback)

Though Northanger Abbey is one of Jane Austen's earliest novels, it was not published until after her death--well after she'd established her reputation with works such as Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Sense and Sensibility. Of all her novels, this one is the most explicitly literary in that it is primarily concerned with books and with readers. In it, Austen skewers the novelistic excesses of her day made popular in such 18th-century Gothic potboilers as Ann Radcliffe's The Mysteries of Udolpho. Decrepit castles, locked rooms, mysterious chests, cryptic notes, and tyrannical fathers all figure into Northanger Abbey, but with a decidedly satirical twist. Consider Austen's introduction of her heroine: we are told on the very first page that "no one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be an heroine." The author goes on to explain that Miss Morland's father is a clergyman with "a considerable independence, besides two good livings--and he was not in the least addicted to locking up his daughters." Furthermore, her mother does not die giving birth to her, and Catherine herself, far from engaging in "the more heroic enjoyments of infancy, nursing a dormouse, feeding a canary-bird, or watering a rose-bush" vastly prefers playing cricket with her brothers to any girlish pastimes.

Catherine grows up to be a passably pretty girl and is invited to spend a few weeks in Bath with a family friend. While there she meets Henry Tilney and his sister Eleanor, who invite her to visit their family estate, Northanger Abbey. Once there, Austen amuses herself and us as Catherine, a great reader of Gothic romances, allows her imagination to run wild, finding dreadful portents in the most wonderfully prosaic events. But Austen is after something more than mere parody; she uses her rapier wit to mock not only the essential silliness of "horrid" novels, but to expose the even more horrid workings of polite society, for nothing Catherine imagines could possibly rival the hypocrisy she experiences at the hands of her supposed friends. In many respects Northanger Abbey is the most lighthearted of Jane Austen's novels, yet at its core is a serious, unsentimental commentary on love and marriage, 19th-century British style. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:06 -0400)

The romantic folly of young Catherine Morland whose entry into life in nineteenth-century England is attended by the collapse of many illusions.

Nineteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Five editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439793, 0141028130, 0141194855, 0141197714, 0141389427

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,460,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible