La abadía de Northanger by Jane Austen

La abadía de Northanger (original 1817; edition 2012)

by Jane Austen, Guillermo Lorenzo (Translator)

13,513269159 (3.82)2 / 1007
Member:Noemi_Paris
Title:La abadía de Northanger
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Guillermo Lorenzo (Translator)
Info:Alba : Colección Jane Austen
Collections:Literatura Anglosaxona

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (1817)

The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe (upstairsgirl, Hollerama)
    upstairsgirl: This is the book that Austen's heroine is reading (and which Austen is wryly mocking) in Northanger Abbey. Fun to read with each other; Udolpho is possibly less fun on its own.
    Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another brilliant parody.
    Evelina by Frances Burney (flissp)
    The Italian by Ann Radcliffe (kara.shamy)
    Nightmare Abbey & Crotchet Castle by Thomas Love Peacock (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both satirize gothic gaspers.
    The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation: A Christmas Story by Louisa May Alcott (aulsmith)
    Cousin Kate by Georgette Heyer (inge87)
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (kara.shamy)

English (249)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  French (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (268)
An enjoyable story of a truly clueless young lady, and her visit to Bath. The dialogue is, as always, delightful, and I especially liked Mr. Tilney's sense of humor. Solid Austen. ( )
  fuzzi | Aug 8, 2015 |
Northanger Abbey is a gothic fictional novel written by Jane Austen around 1798–99. Austen was a well-known writer, amongst other gothic writers like Mary Shelley and Emily Bronte’, who gained popularity for her works of “Pride and Prejudice” and Sense and Sensibility”.

Northanger Abbey is a novel based on the life of Catherine Morland, a 17 year old girl, who lived amongst nine other siblings in a country town named Fullerton. Although Catherine was raised like any other girl during that time, she desired to spend her time playing sports, something which was not considered to be feminine characteristic , and was fond of reading gothic novels. As she attained the age of 17, her wealthy neighbours, Mr and Mrs Allen, requested her to accompany them on their journey to Bath in England. She soon acknowledged their wish and departed to Bath. During their stay in Bath, Catherine and Mrs Allen spent their time attending balls and theatres. When attending the ball, one evening, Catherine was introduced to a young man by the name of Henry Tilney who offered to dance with her. After a few meetings with Mr Tilney and his sister Eleanor, Catherine was invited to their house in Bath. Catherine met Mr Tilney’s father, he invited her to accompany them to their house in Northanger Abbey and to stay there for a few weeks. The rest of the story follows Catherine Morland’s journey in surviving at the abbey.

This is a fantastic novel which focuses on the journey of Catherine Morland to Northanger Abbey. I have thoroughly enjoyed this novel from beginning to end as it entertains from every aspect of the story. I highly recommend this novel for those who have read books like Frankenstein and Wuthering Heights as it is a hard read. ( )
1 vote Abarnika | Jul 22, 2015 |
I greatly enjoyed Northanger Abbey. Really, how could I not, with a heroine who loves to read and has an overactive imagination stoked by trashy Gothic novels? In comparison to other Austen novels, not as much happens in the same number of pages, but the writing propels the reader along. There was also some first-class conflict involving the extremely vexing John Thorpe, whose exaggerations and pomposity had me squirming with embarrassment on Catherine's behalf. What an odious man. But the Tilneys were lovely, and the story wrapped everything up in a very satisfactory manner. This will probably be reread eventually. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jun 26, 2015 |
I have read most of Miss Jane Austen's books, and I have enjoyed them, but this one and Mansfield Park were two that I missed some how. I decided to rectify this so read this book first. It was Jane Austen's first major novel, so it was interesting to read if for that reason alone. Miss Austin's talents are many, but I think the two that are the most remarkable are her characterizations, and her wonderful way of writing satire. She is known for her very real and human heroines. Catherine Morland in this book is one of these. She is very much a young 17 year old who is a product of the era she lives in. But her own innate good sense, and practicality help her to see people and the masks they assume in society for what they are. I found this book to be very warm and wonderfully light-hearted. Jane Austen's genius runs rampant through this little novel. I enjoyed it immensely. ( )
  Romonko | Jun 12, 2015 |
I think Northanger Abbey may be my favorite Jane Austen novel, although it's almost impossible to pick a favorite. This one is up there, though. It's a lighthearted satire that parodies the Gothic novels of Austen's day and age. I love how good Catherine is... how she sees the best in people. I love how she loves to read and how her imagination can run away from her. It's just a fun read. Henry Tilney and his sister are both delightful characters as well, and Isabelle Thorpe is a perfectly written shallow gold-digger. Don't skip this Austen read just because it's not one of her more well-known works!

Recommendations:

Would I recommend this to a fellow book-lover? Absolutely.
Would I recommend this to my teen daughter? Yes. ( )
  lauraodom | Apr 16, 2015 |

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

No one who ever had seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be an heroine.
"Oh! It is only a novel!" replies the young lady, while she lays down her book with affected indifference, or momentary shame. "It is only Cecilia, or Camilla, or Belinda"; or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language.
Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love.
...but while I have Udolpho to read, I feel as if nobody could make me miserable.
Young people do not like to be always thwarted.
Give me but a little cheerful company, let me only have the company of the people I love, let me be where I like and with whom I like, and the devil may take the rest
This LT work, Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, is the original form of this novel. Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey [ISBN 1854598376] is a dramatization of this work by Tim Luscombe. Please do not combine the two; thank you.

Catherine, at seventeen, is an insatiable reader of 'horrid' novels full of villainous monks, secret corridors and blameless heroines. So, when, during an eventful visit to Bath, she is invited to the Tilneys' family home, Northanger Abbey, her cup is full. The quizzical Henry Tilney embarrasses her by guessing at her vivid speculations and she fears that she has lost his good opinion for ever. Just as she begins to hope again, his father inexplicably banishes her...In a lively novel, portraying social life in fashionable Bath and the terrors of an imposing country house, Jane Austen exposes the dangers of an over-active imagination, of mistaken ideals and of bad faith. But while Catherine's youthful blunders are treated with reconciling good humour, hypocrisy, avarice and social climbing are unmercifully delineated in this joyously incisive love story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439793, Paperback)

Though Northanger Abbey is one of Jane Austen's earliest novels, it was not published until after her death--well after she'd established her reputation with works such as Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Sense and Sensibility. Of all her novels, this one is the most explicitly literary in that it is primarily concerned with books and with readers. In it, Austen skewers the novelistic excesses of her day made popular in such 18th-century Gothic potboilers as Ann Radcliffe's The Mysteries of Udolpho. Decrepit castles, locked rooms, mysterious chests, cryptic notes, and tyrannical fathers all figure into Northanger Abbey, but with a decidedly satirical twist. Consider Austen's introduction of her heroine: we are told on the very first page that "no one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be an heroine." The author goes on to explain that Miss Morland's father is a clergyman with "a considerable independence, besides two good livings--and he was not in the least addicted to locking up his daughters." Furthermore, her mother does not die giving birth to her, and Catherine herself, far from engaging in "the more heroic enjoyments of infancy, nursing a dormouse, feeding a canary-bird, or watering a rose-bush" vastly prefers playing cricket with her brothers to any girlish pastimes.

Catherine grows up to be a passably pretty girl and is invited to spend a few weeks in Bath with a family friend. While there she meets Henry Tilney and his sister Eleanor, who invite her to visit their family estate, Northanger Abbey. Once there, Austen amuses herself and us as Catherine, a great reader of Gothic romances, allows her imagination to run wild, finding dreadful portents in the most wonderfully prosaic events. But Austen is after something more than mere parody; she uses her rapier wit to mock not only the essential silliness of "horrid" novels, but to expose the even more horrid workings of polite society, for nothing Catherine imagines could possibly rival the hypocrisy she experiences at the hands of her supposed friends. In many respects Northanger Abbey is the most lighthearted of Jane Austen's novels, yet at its core is a serious, unsentimental commentary on love and marriage, 19th-century British style. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:38 -0400)

The romantic folly of young Catherine Morland whose entry into life in nineteenth-century England is attended by the collapse of many illusions.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439793, 0141028130, 0141194855, 0141197714, 0141389427

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102057, 1400110785

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,150,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible