La abadía de Northanger by Jane Austen

La abadía de Northanger (original 1817; edition 2012)

by Jane Austen, Guillermo Lorenzo (Translator)

13,059259175 (3.82)2 / 944
Member:Noemi_Paris
Title:La abadía de Northanger
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Guillermo Lorenzo (Translator)
Info:Alba : Colección Jane Austen
Collections:Literatura Anglosaxona

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (1817)

The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe (upstairsgirl, Hollerama)
    upstairsgirl: This is the book that Austen's heroine is reading (and which Austen is wryly mocking) in Northanger Abbey. Fun to read with each other; Udolpho is possibly less fun on its own.
    Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another brilliant parody.
    The Italian by Ann Radcliffe (kara.shamy)
    Nightmare Abbey & Crotchet Castle by Thomas Love Peacock (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Both satirize gothic gaspers.
    Evelina by Frances Burney (flissp)
    Cousin Kate by Georgette Heyer (inge87)
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (kara.shamy)

English (242)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (259)
It's been some time since Jane and I communed. The reason: the only major works of hers that I've yet to read are Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park, my least favorites based on their film adaptations. If your first encounters with the Austen adaptations include all of the BBC's remastered collection from the early 2000s, then consider yourself fortunate. Before then, many of us Austenites we're left to scour through various adaptations and hope for the best.

My first encounter with Northanger Abbey was the awful 1986 made-for-TV adaptation that bordered on campy. The characters were all wrong, the score reminiscent of early 80s horror films, and the storyline was hard to follow. I had more questions afterwards, and for a 16-year-old who'd recently discovered Austen, it felt like a waste of an evening and the $0.99 rental fee. The only saving grace was Peter Firth, the dreamy-eyed actor I'd fallen in love with after watching Polanski's 'Tess.

Now that I've finally read the book and understand what the heck happened, I could kick myself for having waited so long! This is a great book! Reading through it was like having a conversation with a good friend that you can always pick back up with despite years of absence. It was hilarious, sarcastic, and just my cuppa. I love farce on the big screen, but it's often lost on me in literature, especially the classics. I was afraid that this one would be too based on reviews I'd read, but my worries were unfounded. I feel like it really rounded out my reading this year, and hopefully I get to a few more classics I've avoided before it is over. ( )
  dreamydress48 | Oct 29, 2014 |
This is my final Jane Austen book - the only one I hadn't read. It's definitely not up with my top three (Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Persuasion), but at the same time I did really like it. I'd probably place it on about a par with Sense and Sensibility (I didn't like Mansfield Park at all). There's something totally endearing about the whole thing, the satire being a little more obvious than in the others I've mentioned. I read somewhere that although this was the last book published, it was the first one she wrote? It definitely shows, particularly in the lack of subtlety, but it's no bad thing. The story is also notably slighter than some, but again, this isn't necessarily a critcism. It's just a completely different beast to the other books.

I loved Catherine. She was so charmingly naive, which is refreshing, given that Austen has a tendency towards very knowing protagonists. She's a little younger than her typical protagonist, which probably accounts for this somewhat, but I just liked her being a little less streetwise than perhaps Elizabeth or Emma (who obviously had their own blind spots, but that's for another review). I felt some elements of Henry's character weren't really fleshed out properly - I couldn't really "see" him the way I could see Knightly or Darcy, for example - but, again, given that this is more of a straightforward story than the others, it was kind of acceptable. I do wish Eleanor's affair had been a little more fleshed out, but again, I mostly put that down to the youth of the author at the time.

John Thorpe (who I kept accidentally calling Iain in my head - sorry, Iain!) was a complete git, which I know was the intention, and made me really, really angry. I find it a little annoying when authors use a set of crossed wires to (in particular) keep couples apart, but the few instances of this are resolved pretty quickly, so I can't complain too much.

In comparison to most other things, this is definitely five stars. I only gave it four because it's not quite a classic Austen, but a very good one nonetheless! ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Decidedly not my favorite Austen but a good read nevertheless. The heroine is sweet and her youthful missteps are amusing, but the hero, though he does have his moments, is mostly pretty dull. Austen's characterizations of some of the minor characters seem more deft, and many of the most entertaining incidents spring from them. (That I wanted to maneuver John Thorpe under the hooves of his own stupid horse was a testament to Austen's ability to write a boarish oaf.) I was surprised to find the proper gothic-novel-satirey bits only lasted a few chapters. The point of view wasn't handled quite as well as in some of her other novels; one chapter, in which the reader is clued in to all the bits that make everything in the plot actually make sense, reminded me very strongly of the Dumbledore Explains It All chapters in Harry Potter--not super surprising, perhaps, as Rowling manipulates point of view in much the same ways Austen did, but it sort of stuck out with bells on here. ( )
  lycomayflower | Oct 14, 2014 |
Northanger Abbey is one of Jane Austen's earliest works, although it was only published after her death in 1817. It's reputation is that it is a spoof of Gothic novels such as those by Ann Radcliffe; however, that part is really only around thirty pages towards the end of the book when Catherine visits Northanger Abbey. The rest of the book is more typical Austen social commentary, with Catherine, the daughter of a curate, visiting Bath with family friends, meeting people, and falling in love. As always, the heroine makes the wrong kind of friends but ends up with the right ones.

This isn't the best of Austen's novels (that would be either Persuasion or Sense & Sensibility in my book), but it may not be the worst one either. ( )
  inge87 | Oct 11, 2014 |
Breaks the fourth wall entertainingly, especially in the epilogue. Jane Austen's writing is light and her world is circumscribed and idle, yet grueling. All her characters end up in Bath, eventually.

Young men talk excitedly about their vehicles in this book. Amusing what an eternal preoccupation it is for young men, whether it's curricles or motorcycles. The young man who woos the heroine so unsuccessfully is pretty easy to find today, even though he may dress differently. ( )
  themulhern | Oct 11, 2014 |

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

No one who ever had seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be an heroine.
"Oh! It is only a novel!" replies the young lady, while she lays down her book with affected indifference, or momentary shame. "It is only Cecilia, or Camilla, or Belinda"; or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language.
Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love.
...but while I have Udolpho to read, I feel as if nobody could make me miserable.
Young people do not like to be always thwarted.
Give me but a little cheerful company, let me only have the company of the people I love, let me be where I like and with whom I like, and the devil may take the rest
This LT work, Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, is the original form of this novel. Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey [ISBN 1854598376] is a dramatization of this work by Tim Luscombe. Please do not combine the two; thank you.

Catherine, at seventeen, is an insatiable reader of 'horrid' novels full of villainous monks, secret corridors and blameless heroines. So, when, during an eventful visit to Bath, she is invited to the Tilneys' family home, Northanger Abbey, her cup is full. The quizzical Henry Tilney embarrasses her by guessing at her vivid speculations and she fears that she has lost his good opinion for ever. Just as she begins to hope again, his father inexplicably banishes her...In a lively novel, portraying social life in fashionable Bath and the terrors of an imposing country house, Jane Austen exposes the dangers of an over-active imagination, of mistaken ideals and of bad faith. But while Catherine's youthful blunders are treated with reconciling good humour, hypocrisy, avarice and social climbing are unmercifully delineated in this joyously incisive love story.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439793, Paperback)

Though Northanger Abbey is one of Jane Austen's earliest novels, it was not published until after her death--well after she'd established her reputation with works such as Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Sense and Sensibility. Of all her novels, this one is the most explicitly literary in that it is primarily concerned with books and with readers. In it, Austen skewers the novelistic excesses of her day made popular in such 18th-century Gothic potboilers as Ann Radcliffe's The Mysteries of Udolpho. Decrepit castles, locked rooms, mysterious chests, cryptic notes, and tyrannical fathers all figure into Northanger Abbey, but with a decidedly satirical twist. Consider Austen's introduction of her heroine: we are told on the very first page that "no one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be an heroine." The author goes on to explain that Miss Morland's father is a clergyman with "a considerable independence, besides two good livings--and he was not in the least addicted to locking up his daughters." Furthermore, her mother does not die giving birth to her, and Catherine herself, far from engaging in "the more heroic enjoyments of infancy, nursing a dormouse, feeding a canary-bird, or watering a rose-bush" vastly prefers playing cricket with her brothers to any girlish pastimes.

Catherine grows up to be a passably pretty girl and is invited to spend a few weeks in Bath with a family friend. While there she meets Henry Tilney and his sister Eleanor, who invite her to visit their family estate, Northanger Abbey. Once there, Austen amuses herself and us as Catherine, a great reader of Gothic romances, allows her imagination to run wild, finding dreadful portents in the most wonderfully prosaic events. But Austen is after something more than mere parody; she uses her rapier wit to mock not only the essential silliness of "horrid" novels, but to expose the even more horrid workings of polite society, for nothing Catherine imagines could possibly rival the hypocrisy she experiences at the hands of her supposed friends. In many respects Northanger Abbey is the most lighthearted of Jane Austen's novels, yet at its core is a serious, unsentimental commentary on love and marriage, 19th-century British style. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:06 -0400)

The romantic folly of young Catherine Morland whose entry into life in nineteenth-century England is attended by the collapse of many illusions.

Five editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439793, 0141028130, 0141194855, 0141197714, 0141389427

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,484,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible