Sliver by Ira Levin

Info:Bantam (1991), Edition: Mti, Mass Market Paperback, 261 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:horror, 1990-2009, 96-100, library book sale

Sliver by Ira Levin

Recently added byprivate library, ConnieJo, tangierbookclub, MsNick, debicakes77, Lolanta

There really was nothing much to learn from this book. A light read, in-between, nothing really special. It was creepy to realize that someone is watching another, but for me that was all there was to it. I saw the movie too, I believe. And that says enough I think.... ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Kay Norris, a successful single lady of thirty-nine, moves into the posh Upper East Side district of Carnegie Hill in Manhattan. The building she moves into is a slender, silvery high rise full of exclusive apartments. The building's landlord is personable, if slightly obsessive, but very solicitous of his tenants' various comforts. Only after she moves in does Kay discover that the tabloids have nicknamed her building "The Horror High Rise". Four unexplained deaths have occurred during the building's construction, and a fifth one is about to happen...

I really enjoyed reading Silver by Ira Levin. It was a very intriguing story and I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes horror. I think that I saw at least part of the movie that was made in 1993, and starred Sharon Stone and William Baldwin. In my opinion, the book was much better than the movie. I give Sliver by Ira Levin an A+! ( )
1 vote moonshineandrosefire | Nov 18, 2012 |
It took me a little while to get into the writing style. There are a lot of sentence fragments. Actually, nearly the entire book is written in sentence fragments. At first I thought it was just bad writing, but it really adds to the tension in the book. The entire book is about being watched, and when you're watching someone you don't think in full sentences. Once I got into it, I really liked it. Left me feeling uncomfortable and on edge. ( )
1 vote lesleydawn | Apr 19, 2011 |
[ 1st ed. at goodwill ]
props for the voyeuristic component, but other than that the prose is lacking. ( )
  vyode | Jun 8, 2007 |

Ira Levinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Versluys, MarijkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

To Dorothy Olding
It was a good Monday morning to begin with - the Hoffmans slugging it out again, Dr. Palme on the phone with a suicidal ex-patient, the Coles' maid getting it off with one of their vibrators, Lesley and Phil meeting in the laundry room - and then it got even better.

Kay Norris, a successful single woman of thirty-nine, moves into the posh Carnegie Hill district of Manhattan's Upper East Side, into an apartment in a slender high-rise, a "sliver" building. A man watches her. He watches her unpack, watches her make her bed. He owns the building; a shocking secret is concealed within its brick and concrete. Sliver is a sinuous erotic thriller, a hypnotic story of obsession, suspense and stunning surprises. It is a novel about ultimate power, adn the temptations the use of that power brings. With the ice-cold precision of a master of high-tension drama, Ira Levin has created a mesmerizing story that culminates in a scene of electrifying suspense to rival any he has ever written.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible