Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949)

by George Orwell

1940s (2)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (JGKC, haraldo)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (nathanm, chrisharpe, MinaKelly, li33ieg, haraldo, Ludi_Ling)
    li33ieg: 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451: 3 essential titles that remind us of the need to keep our individual souls pure.
    Ludi_Ling: Really, the one cannot be mentioned without the other. Actually, apart from the dystopian subject matter, they are very different stories, but serve as a great counterpoint to one another.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (readafew, hipdeep, Booksloth, RosyLibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    hipdeep: 1984 is scary like a horror movie. Fahrenheit 451 is scary like the news. So - do you want to see something really scary?
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (wosret, Anonymous user)
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (citygirl, cflorente, wosret, norabelle414, readingwolverine)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (hippietrail, BGP, soylentgreen23, roby72, timoroso, MEStaton, Anonymous user, Sylak)
    hippietrail: The original dystopian novel from which both Huxley and Orwell drew inspiration.
    timoroso: Zamyatin's "We" was not just a precursor of "Nineteen Eighty-Four" but the work Orwell took as a model for his own book.
    Sylak: A great influence in the writing of his own book.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (vegetarianflautist, avid_reader25)
    V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (readerbabe1984)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (cflorente, readerbabe1984)
    Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (pyrocow)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (infiniteletters, suzanney, JFDR)
    JFDR: 1984's Big Brother is Little Brother's namesake.
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (andejons)
    andejons: The totalitarian state works very similar in both books, but the control in Kallocain seems more plausible, which makes it more frightening.
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (BGP, ivan.frade)
    ivan.frade: Both books talk about revolution and the people, individual rights vs. common wellness. "darkness at noon" is pretty similar to 1984, without the especulation/science-fiction ingredient.
    The Archivist's Story by Travis Holland (CatyM)
    CatyM: Two very powerful stories of what happens when a very small cog in the machine of a dictatorship decides not to turn anymore.
    Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (thebookpile)
    The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: If you read only one other dystopian SF story, make it this one.
    Panopticon; or, The inspection-house by Jeremy Bentham (bertilak)
    Love among the ruins : a romance of the near future by Evelyn Waugh (KayCliff)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (mrkatzer)
    mrkatzer: If 1984 were written today, and written for an audience of teenagers and people who care about teenagers, the result would be Feed.

English (683)  Spanish (10)  French (8)  Dutch (7)  German (6)  Italian (6)  Swedish (5)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Greek (1)  Hebrew (1)  Turkish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (734)
A classic that imagines a world taken over by the infamous "Big Brother", who uses technology to control every aspect of Winston's life. Winston is the protagonist, and I say that in the loosest meaning of the term possible. To truly understand whether he wins his rebellion or not, read the book. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
Most serious case of 'I missed the kool aid' ever in my little literary experience. Whereas I can definitely understand the hype surrounding it, I wasn't engaged in the reading of George Orwell's CLASSIC DYSTOPIAN novel.
1984 is set in, you know... 1984 (or so our main character believes) and in a world I wouldn't ever want to live in. Their slogan is:
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strenght

There are organisations like the thought police who filtrer your thoughts and hate hours at work and you are followed by the government at all times, to prevent rebellion. Our main character Winston starts having double thoughts about the environment he's into, and decides to open up a diary, which, by itself, is already illegal. His urge to stop himself from thinking such awful things is described but all his attempts failed and he was now considered a radical - only in disguise, because no one was into him. No one could be into him.

The story unrolls from then and whilst it is interesting to see such a different atmosphere from our own, at bits I found myself bored about what I was reading about, as if something was missing. I don't mind admitting I know nothing about politics - I am actually hoping to start reading more about it soon, though - and maybe that is the reason this wasn't as enjoyable to me as I expected.

Still, it is definitely worth checking out and I'll probably be picking this up again in a few years. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strenght

sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
Cât timp am citit cartea mi-am amintit trei lucruri: 1. experimentul Piteşti 2. puţinii ani petrecuţi în comunism 3. 'legenda Marelui Inchizitor' a lui Dostoievski.
De asemenea am o mare admiraţie pentru viziunea profetică a lui Orwell.
Una dintre puţinele cărţi care m-a cam speriat :/ ( )
  mariusgm | Sep 12, 2014 |
Slavery is Freedom

Ignorance is Strength

It is 1984, give or take. Against the backdrop of a blustery steely spring day, Winston Smith commits a crime: he opens a diary and begins to record his own thoughts. Hidden, or so he thinks, from the omnipresent telescreen, Winston strives to recreate disparate fragments of memory, unvarnished impressions, unsanctioned thoughts. The subversive act of seeing through the facade of illusion maintained through violence and ignorance by the socialist government of Oceania. As a lower-level functionary of the Ministry of Truth, Winston sees first-hand how the government of Ingsoc (English socialism) strives, and succeeds, to control history, memory, language, and even thought. ( )
1 vote dschmersal | Sep 10, 2014 |
Most novels about an imaginary world (e.g., Gulliver's Travels, Erewhon) have as their central character, or interpreter, a man who somehow strays out of the author's own times and finds himself in a world he never made. But Orwell, like Aldous Huxley in Brave New World, builds his nightmare of tomorrow on foundations that are firmly laid today. He needs no contemporary spokesman to explain and interpret — for the simple reason that any reader in 1949 can uneasily see his own shattered features in Winston Smith, can scent in the world of 1984 a stench that is already familiar.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jun 20, 1949)

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is not impressive as a novel about particular human beings. Its account of life thirty-five years hence has little fanciful or gadgety interest. But as a prophecy and a warning it is superb. The ultimate degradation of a totalitarian sates is here portrayed with repulsive power.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Orville Prescott (pay site) (Jun 13, 1949)

It is probable that no other work of this generation has made us desire freedom more earnestly or loathe tyranny with such fullness...the terrific, long crescendo and the quick decrescendo that George Orwell has made of this struggle for survival and the final extinction of a personality.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Mark Schorer (pay site) (Jun 12, 1949)

Orwell, Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vos, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warburton, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
1984 (1956IMDb)
1984 (2009IMDb)
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
"BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU."
"WAR IS PEACE. SLAVERY IS FREEDOM. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."
"Freedom is the freedom to know that two plus two make four."
Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.
"In philosophy, or religion, or ethics, or politics, two plus two might make five, but when one was designing a fun or an airplane they had to make four."
"George 1984 Orwell" is a cataloging error for 1984 by George Orwell.
Published in 1949, it is set in the eponymous year and focuses on a repressive, totalitarian regime. Orwell elaborates on how a massive oligarchial collectivist society such as the one described in Nineteen Eighty-Four would be able to repress any long-lived dissent. The story follows the life of one seemingly insignificant man, Winston Smith, a civil servant assigned the task of perpetuating the regime's propaganda by falsifying records and political literature. Smith grows disillusioned with his meagre existence and so begins a rebellion against the system that leads to his arrest and torture.
The hero battles
A government dance of words.
"++good, Comrade."

(one-horse.library)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451524934, Mass Market Paperback)

Among the seminal texts of the 20th century, Nineteen Eighty-Four is a rare work that grows more haunting as its futuristic purgatory becomes more real. Published in 1949, the book offers political satirist George Orwell's nightmare vision of a totalitarian, bureaucratic world and one poor stiff's attempt to find individuality. The brilliance of the novel is Orwell's prescience of modern life--the ubiquity of television, the distortion of the language--and his ability to construct such a thorough version of hell. Required reading for students since it was published, it ranks among the most terrifying novels ever written.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:46 -0400)

Portrays life in a future time when a totalitarian government watches over all citizens and directs all activities.

Legacy Library: George Orwell

George Orwell has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See George Orwell's legacy profile.

See George Orwell's author page.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Six editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118776X, 1405807040, 0141036141, 0141191201, 0143566490, 0141391707

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,723,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible