Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949)

by George Orwell, George Orwell

1940s (2)
Unread books (1,098)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (JGKC, haraldo)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (nathanm, chrisharpe, MinaKelly, li33ieg, haraldo, Ludi_Ling)
    li33ieg: 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451: 3 essential titles that remind us of the need to keep our individual souls pure.
    Ludi_Ling: Really, the one cannot be mentioned without the other. Actually, apart from the dystopian subject matter, they are very different stories, but serve as a great counterpoint to one another.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (readafew, hipdeep, Booksloth, rosylibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    hipdeep: 1984 is scary like a horror movie. Fahrenheit 451 is scary like the news. So - do you want to see something really scary?
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (wosret, Anonymous user)
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (citygirl, cflorente, wosret, norabelle414, readingwolverine)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (hippietrail, BGP, soylentgreen23, roby72, timoroso, MEStaton, Anonymous user, Sylak)
    hippietrail: The original dystopian novel from which both Huxley and Orwell drew inspiration.
    timoroso: Zamyatin's "We" was not just a precursor of "Nineteen Eighty-Four" but the work Orwell took as a model for his own book.
    Sylak: A great influence in the writing of his own book.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (vegetarianflautist, avid_reader25)
    V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (readerbabe1984)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (cflorente, readerbabe1984)
    Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (pyrocow)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (infiniteletters, suzanney, JFDR)
    JFDR: 1984's Big Brother is Little Brother's namesake.
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (BGP, ivan.frade)
    ivan.frade: Both books talk about revolution and the people, individual rights vs. common wellness. "darkness at noon" is pretty similar to 1984, without the especulation/science-fiction ingredient.
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (andejons)
    andejons: The totalitarian state works very similar in both books, but the control in Kallocain seems more plausible, which makes it more frightening.
    Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (thebookpile)
    The Archivist's Story by Travis Holland (CatyM)
    CatyM: Two very powerful stories of what happens when a very small cog in the machine of a dictatorship decides not to turn anymore.
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (mrkatzer)
    mrkatzer: If 1984 were written today, and written for an audience of teenagers and people who care about teenagers, the result would be Feed.
    The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe (aulsmith)
    Panopticon; or, The inspection-house by Jeremy Bentham (bertilak)
    The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: If you read only one other dystopian SF story, make it this one.

English (698)  Spanish (10)  French (8)  Dutch (7)  Italian (7)  German (6)  Swedish (5)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Turkish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Greek (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (750)
I know I loved it when I read it in the seventies. Now, not. I'm not sure how I can give 2 stars to this influential book except to say that to me it felt dated, and Orwell proven wrong, not only wrong about Communism but also wrong about the power of state terror to overcome individual will. People come out of hiding after decades of oppression and terror still speaking their outlawed language, still practicing their purged religion, still reading their banned books, and with their humanity still intact. So the core premise that drives this book feels false, and therefore the book itself feels flimsy and hysterical. Reading it felt less like an experience in reading fiction, and more like an experience in studying a document from another era. ( )
  poingu | Jan 29, 2015 |
Still a disturbing book ... ( )
  howzzit | Jan 23, 2015 |
"Big Brother is watching you" é a expressão que me vem à cabeça sempre que vejo câmaras de vigilância ou sempre que surge um novo debate sobre a perda de privacidade nos dias que correm.

Publicado em 1949, Mil Novecentos e Noventa e Quatro é o livro que dá origem a esta expressão e já estava há muito na minha lista "para ler". É considerado como um dos grandes livros do Séc. XX e ainda hoje (talvez mais do que nunca) actual e é daqueles livros que por isso mesmo me intimidam como leitora.

Gostei muito do livro, do conjunto de ideias apresentado (políticas, sociais), gostei de todo o conceito distópico e foi sem dúvida um livro que me deu muito para pensar. No entanto todo o ambiente sufocante e soturno, a prosa monótona e o meu pouco interesse no destino final das personagens, fez com que este livro acabasse por não ser um favorito meu. ( )
  tchetcha | Jan 15, 2015 |
I swear I read this book before... and yet, nothing was familiar. The scene that stuck in my mind from my supposed previous reading? Not there. All in my imagination.

An invented memory. Surprisingly apropos, in a twisted, not-quite-linear kind of way.

I liked the book - mostly. The twenty-or-so page passage of The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism didn't endear me to the book; in our household, this "here's what you need to know" technique is referred to as "The Librarian" method of storytelling (a la Neal Stephenson's convenient data-dump device in Snow Crash), and it's a readerly peeve of mine.

The Librarian Data Dump aside, I did like 1984. I get why it's a classic. Heck, it's a classic that's held its own - over 60 years old and the ideas in there are relevant. Scary. Thought provoking. I especially enjoyed the discussion of language, and how controlling one's access to language controls one's thought.

In the coming days, I'll be thinking about concepts of power, control, and what happens when we destroy human bonds of friendship, love, and empathy. When we hate simply because we're supposed to hate. When we fear original thought. It's dangerous stuff.

Makes me worry even more about the way popular media functions... it seems to me that some "news" functions more like Big Brother, whipping people up into thoughtless frenzies, revising truth to mirror ideologies.

How far are we, really, from those Big Brother telescreens? How many people let their sets murmur rantings all day and into the night?

We are not so far from 1984 as we would like to think, I fear.

This book is unsettling (as it's supposed to be), and even crept into my dreams (no, not restful dreams, thank you Mr. Orwell). It was not a happy book. I finished the last page and wanted a shower, a cry, and a drink.

At least we can get better gin than poor Winston Smith. ( )
1 vote ThePortPorts | Jan 14, 2015 |
I understand you one-star raters out there. No, seriously, I do. The writing isn't the most engaging, is it? But I spent my lunch today thinking about 1984, which qualifies it for MY five-star rating. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
Most novels about an imaginary world (e.g., Gulliver's Travels, Erewhon) have as their central character, or interpreter, a man who somehow strays out of the author's own times and finds himself in a world he never made. But Orwell, like Aldous Huxley in Brave New World, builds his nightmare of tomorrow on foundations that are firmly laid today. He needs no contemporary spokesman to explain and interpret — for the simple reason that any reader in 1949 can uneasily see his own shattered features in Winston Smith, can scent in the world of 1984 a stench that is already familiar.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jun 20, 1949)

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is not impressive as a novel about particular human beings. Its account of life thirty-five years hence has little fanciful or gadgety interest. But as a prophecy and a warning it is superb. The ultimate degradation of a totalitarian sates is here portrayed with repulsive power.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Orville Prescott (pay site) (Jun 13, 1949)

It is probable that no other work of this generation has made us desire freedom more earnestly or loathe tyranny with such fullness...the terrific, long crescendo and the quick decrescendo that George Orwell has made of this struggle for survival and the final extinction of a personality.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Mark Schorer (pay site) (Jun 12, 1949)

Orwell, Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
1984 (1956IMDb)
1984 (2009IMDb)
[None]
[None]
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
"BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU."
"WAR IS PEACE. SLAVERY IS FREEDOM. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."
"Freedom is the freedom to know that two plus two make four."
Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.
"In philosophy, or religion, or ethics, or politics, two plus two might make five, but when one was designing a fun or an airplane they had to make four."
"George 1984 Orwell" is a cataloging error for 1984 by George Orwell.
Published in 1949, it is set in the eponymous year and focuses on a repressive, totalitarian regime. Orwell elaborates on how a massive oligarchial collectivist society such as the one described in Nineteen Eighty-Four would be able to repress any long-lived dissent. The story follows the life of one seemingly insignificant man, Winston Smith, a civil servant assigned the task of perpetuating the regime's propaganda by falsifying records and political literature. Smith grows disillusioned with his meagre existence and so begins a rebellion against the system that leads to his arrest and torture.
The hero battles
A government dance of words.
"++good, Comrade."

(one-horse.library)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451524934, Mass Market Paperback)

Among the seminal texts of the 20th century, Nineteen Eighty-Four is a rare work that grows more haunting as its futuristic purgatory becomes more real. Published in 1949, the book offers political satirist George Orwell's nightmare vision of a totalitarian, bureaucratic world and one poor stiff's attempt to find individuality. The brilliance of the novel is Orwell's prescience of modern life--the ubiquity of television, the distortion of the language--and his ability to construct such a thorough version of hell. Required reading for students since it was published, it ranks among the most terrifying novels ever written.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:46 -0400)

Portrays life in a future time when a totalitarian government watches over all citizens and directs all activities.

Legacy Library: George Orwell

George Orwell has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See George Orwell's legacy profile.

See George Orwell's author page.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118776X, 1405807040, 0141036141, 0141191201, 0143566490, 0141391707

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,168,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible