Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949)

by George Orwell

Animal Farm by George Orwell (JGKC, haraldo)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (nathanm, chrisharpe, MinaKelly, li33ieg, haraldo, Ludi_Ling)
    li33ieg: 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451: 3 essential titles that remind us of the need to keep our individual souls pure.
    Ludi_Ling: Really, the one cannot be mentioned without the other. Actually, apart from the dystopian subject matter, they are very different stories, but serve as a great counterpoint to one another.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (readafew, hipdeep, Booksloth, rosylibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    hipdeep: 1984 is scary like a horror movie. Fahrenheit 451 is scary like the news. So - do you want to see something really scary?
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A man's romance-inspired defiance of menacing, repressive governments in bleak futures are the themes of these compelling novels. Control of language and monitors that both broadcast to and spy on people are key motifs. Both are dramatic, haunting, and thought-provoking.… (more)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (wosret, Anonymous user)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (citygirl, cflorente, wosret, norabelle414, readingwolverine)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (hippietrail, BGP, soylentgreen23, roby72, timoroso, MEStaton, Anonymous user, Sylak)
    hippietrail: The original dystopian novel from which both Huxley and Orwell drew inspiration.
    timoroso: Zamyatin's "We" was not just a precursor of "Nineteen Eighty-Four" but the work Orwell took as a model for his own book.
    Sylak: A great influence in the writing of his own book.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (vegetarianflautist, avid_reader25)
    V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (readerbabe1984)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (cflorente, readerbabe1984)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (infiniteletters, suzanney, JFDR)
    JFDR: 1984's Big Brother is Little Brother's namesake.
    Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (pyrocow)
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (BGP, ivan.frade)
    ivan.frade: Both books talk about revolution and the people, individual rights vs. common wellness. "darkness at noon" is pretty similar to 1984, without the especulation/science-fiction ingredient.
    Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (thebookpile)
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (andejons, Anonymous user)
    andejons: The totalitarian state works very similar in both books, but the control in Kallocain seems more plausible, which makes it more frightening.
    Panopticon; or, The inspection-house by Jeremy Bentham (bertilak)
    The Archivist's Story by Travis Holland (CatyM)
    CatyM: Two very powerful stories of what happens when a very small cog in the machine of a dictatorship decides not to turn anymore.
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (weener)
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (MMSequeira)
    MMSequeira: Another interesting attempt at a plausible history of the future. Definitely worth reading.
    The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: If you read only one other dystopian SF story, make it this one.

1940s (2)
Read (26)
Unread books (1,154)

English (723)  Spanish (11)  French (8)  Italian (7)  Dutch (7)  German (6)  Swedish (5)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Turkish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Greek (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (776)
George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four is a classic dystopian novel set in an alternative universe where the government, known as the Party, sees everyone and controls everything. The world is constantly at war, the public is continuously surveillanced through telescreens and any thoughts against the Party or its system is a crime. The protagonist, Winston Smith, is responsible for “rectifying” printed media in order to compliment the Party’s current policies, but secretly wishes to rebel against them and their leader, Big Brother.

I’ve obviously read this long after it was published and set. However, despite its premise now being somewhat common amongst the array of modern young adult dystopias, I couldn’t help but find the world quite fascinating. Orwell’s description of the story’s universe is done in such a detailed manner that one can easily picture the dark, dreary dominion in which Winston resides in. Everything seems hopeless, yet Winston’s outlook on the situation makes you think that maybe rebellion is possible.

The novel touches on many political and philosophical issues from freedom of speech to the human psyche. Most concepts are taken to the extreme and while they aren’t too frightening in terms of their alikeness, there is a certain uneasiness that comes from reading about “memory holes” and “doublethink”. Winston’s thoughts on the matters at hand gives readers important insights on the themes brought about in the book.

I feel like this novel would have been a lot more frightening a few decades ago. The extremity of it sometimes made it hard for me to empathise with the action, and the characters weren’t the most fleshed-out ones I’ve ever seen. That doesn’t however distract it too much from the main point that I believe Orwell is trying to get across.

Overall, Nineteen Eighty-Four is a chilling look at the world at its worst and tackles issues that have lived on far beyond its time. ( )
  tsi0001 | Jul 22, 2015 |
Is equality what makes humankind struggle, suffer and remain so unhappy? What if everyone had their place and in their place they were no longer forced to strive for anything: shelter, housing, food, entertainment, relationships. And how many generations, tortured reinforcement and culling of the strong-willed would it take to achieve such a state? Could a few maintain this power over the many, or at least enough to ensure goods and services were regularly and predictably produced.

There is a lot I liked about this book and just as much that I didn't like. The plot overall was very slow. My mind would start to wonder in some places and I would have to stop reading. The overall message of the book is worth pondering. ( )
  Sovranty | Jul 16, 2015 |
I will start by saying that these five stars aren't because I loved the book. I didn't. I actually deplored the book. There was a point where I found myself counting how many pages where left so I could finish it. I found it completely insufferable.

I imagine the people in 1948 reading this book and being completely scandalized at the mention of speakwrites and telescreens and whatnot. I applaud Orwell for his creativity. In a way he did challenge my mind.

The main reason that I give this book 5 stars is because of the perfect depiction of a dystopian society that was created. George Orwell created THE society of all societies. Many books nowadays can't even TRY to compare to "The Party".

Why did I find this book so insufferable? Because of Winston Smith. I must have hated him. Winston Smith's incessant and at times bland inner monologue was annoying. I found myself skipping paragraphs and at times even considered skipping pages, just to get to the "good part".

Maybe I'm being a naive and "stupid" teen, but I honestly do not like this book. Is it possible to comprehend the literary value of the book and still not like it? I think so. Because I do comprehend 1984's message and importance, I really do. I just didn't enjoy how it was portrayed.

I feel that when reading a book, one should be shown instead of told . In 1984, there would be complete chapters that consisted of the main character telling us and telling us.

I understand the concepts of doublethink and thought crime and even the whole " WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGHT slogan. I did. And I was somewhat enthralled by "The Party's" notion of how to create the "perfect" hierarchy.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to read this book again, if I'm hoping to pass this semester in AP English (which is frankly, the reason I actually stuck to the book instead of leaving it when I got bored), so maybe I'll start to like it next time around. 5 stars for substance, not for my opinion on it. ( )
  | Jul 1, 2015 | edit |
How world societies might turn out if totalitarian impulses are not averted
  kewlgeek | Jun 30, 2015 |
I really enjoyed reading 1984. I had some idea what the book was about but not the details. The first part of the book is mostly about Winston Smith living life in a monitored world where he feels completely alone in knowing that everything is a lie. The 2nd part is about him defying the government for love/sex and joining a underground organization that was dedicated to taking the government down. The third part is the most impressive, it's revealed he was set up and monitored more closely than he thought, he is brainwashed into loving the government only to be killed once his brain is "pure" he thinks he can hold onto his sanity and have the final laugh but he doesn't. I felt part of the book was predictable, the secret organization was a set up by the government, what I didn't expect was for him to be brainwashed into loving big brother the ending was the most shocking and different from what I expected because I did think he was going to manage to do his last minute laughs at big brother and corrupt, but he didn't and I loved it. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | Jun 28, 2015 |
Most novels about an imaginary world (e.g., Gulliver's Travels, Erewhon) have as their central character, or interpreter, a man who somehow strays out of the author's own times and finds himself in a world he never made. But Orwell, like Aldous Huxley in Brave New World, builds his nightmare of tomorrow on foundations that are firmly laid today. He needs no contemporary spokesman to explain and interpret — for the simple reason that any reader in 1949 can uneasily see his own shattered features in Winston Smith, can scent in the world of 1984 a stench that is already familiar.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jun 20, 1949)

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is not impressive as a novel about particular human beings. Its account of life thirty-five years hence has little fanciful or gadgety interest. But as a prophecy and a warning it is superb. The ultimate degradation of a totalitarian sates is here portrayed with repulsive power.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Orville Prescott (pay site) (Jun 13, 1949)

It is probable that no other work of this generation has made us desire freedom more earnestly or loathe tyranny with such fullness...the terrific, long crescendo and the quick decrescendo that George Orwell has made of this struggle for survival and the final extinction of a personality.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Mark Schorer (pay site) (Jun 12, 1949)

Orwell, Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vos, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warburton, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
1984 (1956IMDb)
1984 (2009IMDb)
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
"BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU."
"WAR IS PEACE. SLAVERY IS FREEDOM. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."
"Freedom is the freedom to know that two plus two make four."
Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.
"In philosophy, or religion, or ethics, or politics, two plus two might make five, but when one was designing a fun or an airplane they had to make four."
"George 1984 Orwell" is a cataloging error for 1984 by George Orwell.
Published in 1949, it is set in the eponymous year and focuses on a repressive, totalitarian regime. Orwell elaborates on how a massive oligarchial collectivist society such as the one described in Nineteen Eighty-Four would be able to repress any long-lived dissent. The story follows the life of one seemingly insignificant man, Winston Smith, a civil servant assigned the task of perpetuating the regime's propaganda by falsifying records and political literature. Smith grows disillusioned with his meagre existence and so begins a rebellion against the system that leads to his arrest and torture.
The hero battles
A government dance of words.
"++good, Comrade."

(one-horse.library)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451524934, Mass Market Paperback)

Among the seminal texts of the 20th century, Nineteen Eighty-Four is a rare work that grows more haunting as its futuristic purgatory becomes more real. Published in 1949, the book offers political satirist George Orwell's nightmare vision of a totalitarian, bureaucratic world and one poor stiff's attempt to find individuality. The brilliance of the novel is Orwell's prescience of modern life--the ubiquity of television, the distortion of the language--and his ability to construct such a thorough version of hell. Required reading for students since it was published, it ranks among the most terrifying novels ever written.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

Portrays life in a future time when a totalitarian government watches over all citizens and directs all activities.

Legacy Library: George Orwell

George Orwell has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See George Orwell's legacy profile.

See George Orwell's author page.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118776X, 1405807040, 0141036141, 0141191201, 0143566490, 0141391707

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,438,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible