1984 by George Orwell

1984 (1949)

by George Orwell

Animal Farm by George Orwell (JGKC, haraldo)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (nathanm, chrisharpe, MinaKelly, li33ieg, haraldo, Ludi_Ling, Morteana, Waldstein)
    li33ieg: 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451: 3 essential titles that remind us of the need to keep our individual souls pure.
    Ludi_Ling: Really, the one cannot be mentioned without the other. Actually, apart from the dystopian subject matter, they are very different stories, but serve as a great counterpoint to one another.
    Waldstein: It's essential to read Huxley's and Orwell's books together. Both present the ultimate version of the totalitarian state, but there the similarities end. While Orwell argues in favour of hate and fear, Huxley suggests that pleasure and drugs would be far more effective as controlling forces. Who was the more prescient prophet? That's what every reader should decide for his- or herself.… (more)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (readafew, hipdeep, Booksloth, rosylibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    hipdeep: 1984 is scary like a horror movie. Fahrenheit 451 is scary like the news. So - do you want to see something really scary?
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A man's romance-inspired defiance of menacing, repressive governments in bleak futures are the themes of these compelling novels. Control of language and monitors that both broadcast to and spy on people are key motifs. Both are dramatic, haunting, and thought-provoking.… (more)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (citygirl, cflorente, wosret, norabelle414, readingwolverine)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (wosret, Anonymous user)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (vegetarianflautist, avid_reader25)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (hippietrail, BGP, soylentgreen23, roby72, timoroso, MEStaton, Anonymous user, Sylak)
    hippietrail: The original dystopian novel from which both Huxley and Orwell drew inspiration.
    timoroso: Zamyatin's "We" was not just a precursor of "Nineteen Eighty-Four" but the work Orwell took as a model for his own book.
    Sylak: A great influence in the writing of his own book.
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (readerbabe1984)
    V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (cflorente, readerbabe1984)
    Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (thebookpile)
    Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (pyrocow)
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (andejons, Anonymous user)
    andejons: The totalitarian state works very similar in both books, but the control in Kallocain seems more plausible, which makes it more frightening.
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (BGP, ivan.frade)
    ivan.frade: Both books talk about revolution and the people, individual rights vs. common wellness. "darkness at noon" is pretty similar to 1984, without the especulation/science-fiction ingredient.
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (infiniteletters, suzanney, JFDR)
    JFDR: 1984's Big Brother is Little Brother's namesake.
    Swastika Night by Katharine Burdekin (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Huxley and Zamyatin are practically the canon recommendations for this work, so much so that they hardly need to be mentioned, let alone mentioned again.. Therefore, let me instead recommend a lesser-known work that likewise influenced Orwell's work: Burdekin's dystopian future-history, Swastika Night… (more)
    The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: If you read only one other dystopian SF story, make it this one.
    The Circle by Dave Eggers (JuliaMaria)
    The Archivist's Story by Travis Holland (catherinestead)
    catherinestead: Two very powerful stories of what happens when a very small cog in the machine of a dictatorship decides not to turn anymore.
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (MMSequeira)
    MMSequeira: Another interesting attempt at a plausible history of the future. Definitely worth reading.

1940s (2)
Elevenses (209)
Read (27)
Read (1)
Satire (186)

English (913)  Spanish (17)  Italian (9)  French (9)  German (8)  Dutch (8)  Swedish (7)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Greek (1)  Turkish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (980)
Funny that when I first read 1984 years ago, I never noticed that it was only the literate classes who were watched by B.B. -the working classes never noticed the lack of a calendar, as they were prevented from reading...

Cooperation
MEOW Date: 13 August 12,014 H.E. ( )
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
1984 is a tremendous novel written by a genius. Orwell captures the essencial with a magnificent writing.
This book is a warning of what can become of us when we sacrifice the things that make us human for a utopic idea. It is a warning that in the end, the individual is the center of the world, and not the "almighty collective". It shows the extent of the relativistic doctrine and the collective one. It shows the power of knowing the past to prevent the worst from surging of coming back. It is a call to arms against the totalitarians. Amazing in every single way. ( )
1 vote melosomelo | Mar 3, 2019 |
I borrowed this via Prime Reading.

I can't say I enjoyed 1984, but I found it interesting to read a book that is often alluded to. I expected the omnipresent eye of Big Brother, but I was surprised by the form of Winston's rebellion, especially the sex. "The sexual act, successfully performed, was rebellion. Desire was thoughtcrime," the book reads at one point, and a bit later, "Their embrace had been a battle, the climax a victory. It was a blow struck against the Party. It was a political act."

The book does abound in thought-provoking lines that feel eerily accurate in this age of flexible truth. "All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary."

"By lack of understanding they remained sane. They simply swallowed everything, and what they swallowed did them no harm, because it left no residue behind, just as a grain of corn will pass undigested through the body of a bird."

"Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one’s mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them."

I am making an effort to read more classic books this year. Some hold up better than others. While I felt 1984 could be tighter in some areas (the book excerpts within the book felt tedious), it does remain a profound, even necessary, read, ( )
  ladycato | Mar 1, 2019 |
There I was, at the pub. No pints (points)for challenging the credulity, is there? Trust me, I was at the pub. Some nice enough gent was talking about the barbecue place he had opened up the street. I was half listening and half thinking, I NEED to try this man's brisket. That isn't code. He glanced down at the bar and saw 1984. He offered, oh, you're reading that again. Everyone at the public house assumes I've read everything. Jesus. I hadn't. I was a Winston Smith virgin, in fact reading it in tandem with my wife. While I never accessed the brisket, this encounter proved to be a corner of affairs. I doubt a week goes by when I don't think about this novel. I've read it twice since then. i think about Room 101 incessantly. Here's to victory gin and my favorite opening line ever: "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
as for someone who grew up in the Soviet Union this book really gives creeps. And makes you wonder how the author predicted what will happen in decades to come... ( )
  Liivin | Feb 7, 2019 |

Walter, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warburton, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
1984 (1956IMDb)
1984 (2009IMDb)
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
Winston Smith, his chin nuzzled into his breast in an effort to escape the vile wind, slipped quickly through the glass doors of Victory Mansions, though not quickly enough to prevent a swirl of gritty dust from entering along with him.
"BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU."
"WAR IS PEACE. SLAVERY IS FREEDOM. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."
Freedom is the freedom to know that two plus two make four.
Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.
In philosophy, or religion, or ethics, or politics, two plus two might make five, but when one was designing a fun or an airplane they had to make four.
"George 1984 Orwell" is a cataloging error for 1984 by George Orwell.
Arguably the 20th-century's most famous novel, 1984 is a dystopian study of political tyranny, mind control, paranoia and secret mass surveillance.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451524934, Mass Market Paperback)

Among the seminal texts of the 20th century, Nineteen Eighty-Four is a rare work that grows more haunting as its futuristic purgatory becomes more real. Published in 1949, the book offers political satirist George Orwell's nightmare vision of a totalitarian, bureaucratic world and one poor stiff's attempt to find individuality. The brilliance of the novel is Orwell's prescience of modern life--the ubiquity of television, the distortion of the language--and his ability to construct such a thorough version of hell. Required reading for students since it was published, it ranks among the most terrifying novels ever written.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

Portrays life in a future time when a totalitarian government watches over all citizens and directs all activities.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118776X, 1405807040, 0141036141, 0141191201, 0143566490, 0141391707

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,164,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible