Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949)

by George Orwell

1940s (2)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (JGKC, haraldo)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (nathanm, chrisharpe, MinaKelly, li33ieg, haraldo, Ludi_Ling)
    li33ieg: 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451: 3 essential titles that remind us of the need to keep our individual souls pure.
    Ludi_Ling: Really, the one cannot be mentioned without the other. Actually, apart from the dystopian subject matter, they are very different stories, but serve as a great counterpoint to one another.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (readafew, hipdeep, Booksloth, RosyLibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    hipdeep: 1984 is scary like a horror movie. Fahrenheit 451 is scary like the news. So - do you want to see something really scary?
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (wosret, Anonymous user)
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (citygirl, cflorente, wosret, norabelle414, readingwolverine)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (hippietrail, BGP, soylentgreen23, roby72, timoroso, MEStaton, Anonymous user, Sylak)
    hippietrail: The original dystopian novel from which both Huxley and Orwell drew inspiration.
    timoroso: Zamyatin's "We" was not just a precursor of "Nineteen Eighty-Four" but the work Orwell took as a model for his own book.
    Sylak: A great influence in the writing of his own book.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (vegetarianflautist, avid_reader25)
    V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (readerbabe1984)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (cflorente, readerbabe1984)
    Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (pyrocow)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (infiniteletters, suzanney, JFDR)
    JFDR: 1984's Big Brother is Little Brother's namesake.
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (andejons)
    andejons: The totalitarian state works very similar in both books, but the control in Kallocain seems more plausible, which makes it more frightening.
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (BGP, ivan.frade)
    ivan.frade: Both books talk about revolution and the people, individual rights vs. common wellness. "darkness at noon" is pretty similar to 1984, without the especulation/science-fiction ingredient.
    Brave New World and Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (thebookpile)
    The Archivist's Story by Travis Holland (CatyM)
    CatyM: Two very powerful stories of what happens when a very small cog in the machine of a dictatorship decides not to turn anymore.
    The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe (aulsmith)
    The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: If you read only one other dystopian SF story, make it this one.
    Panopticon; or, The inspection-house by Jeremy Bentham (bertilak)
    Love among the ruins : a romance of the near future by Evelyn Waugh (KayCliff)

English (675)  Spanish (9)  French (8)  Dutch (7)  German (6)  Italian (6)  Swedish (5)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Greek (1)  Hebrew (1)  Turkish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (725)
Das muitas visões apocalípticas sobre o futuro, com guerras, fome, devastação e doenças, uma das piores é com certeza um mundo totalitário, no qual as pessoas são constatemente vigiadas e controladas.

Em 1984, George Orwell nos mostra uma completa invasão da privacidade das pessoas, não apenas presencial mas sobretudo mental. Notícias são deturpadas de maneira descarada, crianças são submetidas a lavagens cerebrais e adultos são obrigados a participar de eventos condicionantes. Todos são guiados a fazer o que o estado quer, cartazes com a foto de um homem de olhar inquisitivo e a frase "O Grande Irmão zela por ti" (The Big Brother is watching you) estão por toda a parte para lembrar obediência aos poucos que ainda se atrevem a pensar diferente.

Apesar de momentos de busca por um mundo melhor, Orwell teoriza sobre como se poderia destroçar de maneira completa um ser humano do ponto de vista psicológico, arrancando-lhe a esperança e fazendo-o negar seus princípios, sua dignidade e até mesmo o seu amor.

Um livro fantástico que prende e aterroriza o leitor por todo o tempo e que nos faz refletir sobre a fragilidade interior do homem. ( )
  Binderman | Aug 16, 2014 |
Nineteen Eighty-Four
George Orwell
Introduced by Alan Rusbridger
Illustrated by Johnathan Burton
  narbgr01 | Aug 14, 2014 |
This book opens with the main character purchasing a diary. This act doesn't seem radical, but for the society he is living in it is unheard of. He isn't doing it as an act of rebellion, more an act of compulsion. When I reached the last page of this book I had performed the compulsive act, reaching instantly for my own journal to record the overwhelming cacophony of emotions and thoughts and philosophical processes flowing through my own mind.

I feel as though being nearly thirty years old I am a bit old to be reading such an iconic text for the first time, where most my age appear to have read it in high school. However the timing could not have been better. I read this book literally against the backdrop of the crisis in Syria. As I read this book standing in the lobby of the hotel I work in, seven televisions around me all blared CNN personalities as they debated the merits and consequences of a missile strike in Syria. I was standing in a room of screens talking about a war I have no power over yet plenty of emotion about. I couldn't help but wonder... is this the same war or another war? Have we always been at war with Syria?

A large part of me felt the emotions of Julia in this book. "Who cares? It's always one bloody war after another and one knows the news is all lies anyway."

You should read this book. It doesn't matter who you are, where you are from. Read it because it is iconic, read it because it is beautiful. Read it because it will change the way you view the world, or perhaps it will simply confirm the views you already have. Read it so you can keep up with the ever-changing, ever-evolving yet somehow ever-stagnant position of human beings in our world. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
I like this book a lot. It's a view into a surveillance culture (which most of the developed world has become, it's true) and the depths of unchecked, psychotic power. It's a great book to start a good dialogue about the place of power in a society and what privacy should or shouldn't mean.

That being said, I'm really tired of anyone reading the book once, or hearing about the general concept of the book, or vaguely gleaning the concept from a short premise and the cover image (etc., etc.), and then deciding that they're experts in political science and despairing about how this is Western society at large.

Don't get me wrong - it's fair to be concerned about different aspects of our freedoms. That's a good thing. But if I had a dime for every time I heard someone describe western society at large or a specific issue "Orwellian," or say "Big Brother is watching you" and so on, I'd be a very rich man.

Oddly enough, I hear more people describe western society as Orwellian than those who discuss countries like North Korea, China, and Russia (among others) which have much more immediate (and arguably more Orwellian) problems.

Still, enjoyable view into a classic dystopian society. ( )
  zhyatt | Aug 11, 2014 |
Orwell is always astounding. What I find a little creepy about re-reading this one is how I feel about it now. We are in the midst of a real 1984, and we're watching it happen - and doing nothing about it. Are we Proles? Maybe we are Outer Party. At the time I read it the first time, I had this feeling in the back of my mind that this was going to happen. Then I shook it off as just making "fiction" feel real. The "fiction" is becoming "prophecy". We, as the mass of people involved in this prophecy, are just letting it happen. If that's the case, what group of people would I prefer to be? Truth? A prole. There are too many things to say here. Orwell was an amazing man. More to come - a blog or two. ( )
  mreed61 | Aug 10, 2014 |
Most novels about an imaginary world (e.g., Gulliver's Travels, Erewhon) have as their central character, or interpreter, a man who somehow strays out of the author's own times and finds himself in a world he never made. But Orwell, like Aldous Huxley in Brave New World, builds his nightmare of tomorrow on foundations that are firmly laid today. He needs no contemporary spokesman to explain and interpret — for the simple reason that any reader in 1949 can uneasily see his own shattered features in Winston Smith, can scent in the world of 1984 a stench that is already familiar.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jun 20, 1949)

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is not impressive as a novel about particular human beings. Its account of life thirty-five years hence has little fanciful or gadgety interest. But as a prophecy and a warning it is superb. The ultimate degradation of a totalitarian sates is here portrayed with repulsive power.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Orville Prescott (pay site) (Jun 13, 1949)

It is probable that no other work of this generation has made us desire freedom more earnestly or loathe tyranny with such fullness...the terrific, long crescendo and the quick decrescendo that George Orwell has made of this struggle for survival and the final extinction of a personality.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Mark Schorer (pay site) (Jun 12, 1949)

Orwell, Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Warburton, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
1984 (1956IMDb)
1984 (2009IMDb)
1984 (2010IMDb)
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
"BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU."
"WAR IS PEACE. SLAVERY IS FREEDOM. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."
"Freedom is the freedom to know that two plus two make four."
Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.
"In philosophy, or religion, or ethics, or politics, two plus two might make five, but when one was designing a fun or an airplane they had to make four."
"George 1984 Orwell" is a cataloging error for 1984 by George Orwell.
Published in 1949, it is set in the eponymous year and focuses on a repressive, totalitarian regime. Orwell elaborates on how a massive oligarchial collectivist society such as the one described in Nineteen Eighty-Four would be able to repress any long-lived dissent. The story follows the life of one seemingly insignificant man, Winston Smith, a civil servant assigned the task of perpetuating the regime's propaganda by falsifying records and political literature. Smith grows disillusioned with his meagre existence and so begins a rebellion against the system that leads to his arrest and torture.
The hero battles
A government dance of words.
"++good, Comrade."

(one-horse.library)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451524934, Mass Market Paperback)

Among the seminal texts of the 20th century, Nineteen Eighty-Four is a rare work that grows more haunting as its futuristic purgatory becomes more real. Published in 1949, the book offers political satirist George Orwell's nightmare vision of a totalitarian, bureaucratic world and one poor stiff's attempt to find individuality. The brilliance of the novel is Orwell's prescience of modern life--the ubiquity of television, the distortion of the language--and his ability to construct such a thorough version of hell. Required reading for students since it was published, it ranks among the most terrifying novels ever written.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:46 -0400)

Portrays a terrifying vision of life in the future when a totalitarian government, considered a "Negative Utopia," watches over all citizens and directs all activities, becoming more powerful as time goes by.

Legacy Library: George Orwell

George Orwell has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See George Orwell's legacy profile.

See George Orwell's author page.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Six editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118776X, 1405807040, 0141036141, 0141191201, 0143566490, 0141391707

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,154,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible