1984 by George Orwell

1984 (original 1949; edition 1990)

by George Orwell

49,55871910 (4.26)1281
Member:negatif
Title:1984
Authors:George Orwell
Info:Signet Book (1990), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (1949)

20th century (438) big brother (625) British (355) British literature (350) classic (1,554) classics (1,027) dystopia (2,698) dystopian (451) England (184) English (216) English literature (305) fiction (4,794) future (337) futuristic (164) George Orwell (198) government (186) literature (862) novel (775) Orwell (315) own (229) political (216) political fiction (151) politics (691) read (785) satire (215) science fiction (2,679) sf (264) social commentary (149) to-read (342) totalitarianism (603)
1940s (2)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell (JGKC, haraldo)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (nathanm, chrisharpe, MinaKelly, li33ieg, haraldo, Ludi_Ling)
    li33ieg: 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451: 3 essential titles that remind us of the need to keep our individual souls pure.
    Ludi_Ling: Really, the one cannot be mentioned without the other. Actually, apart from the dystopian subject matter, they are very different stories, but serve as a great counterpoint to one another.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (readafew, hipdeep, Booksloth, RosyLibrarian, TAir, moietmoi, haraldo)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    hipdeep: 1984 is scary like a horror movie. Fahrenheit 451 is scary like the news. So - do you want to see something really scary?
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (wosret, Anonymous user)
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (citygirl, cflorente, wosret, norabelle414, readingwolverine)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (hippietrail, BGP, soylentgreen23, roby72, timoroso, MEStaton, Anonymous user, Sylak)
    hippietrail: The original dystopian novel from which both Huxley and Orwell drew inspiration.
    timoroso: Zamyatin's "We" was not just a precursor of "Nineteen Eighty-Four" but the work Orwell took as a model for his own book.
    Sylak: A great influence in the writing of his own book.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (vegetarianflautist, avid_reader25)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (readerbabe1984)
    V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (cflorente, readerbabe1984)
    Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (pyrocow)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (infiniteletters, suzanney, JFDR)
    JFDR: 1984's Big Brother is Little Brother's namesake.
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (andejons)
    andejons: The totalitarian state works very similar in both books, but the control in Kallocain seems more plausible, which makes it more frightening.
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (BGP, ivan.frade)
    ivan.frade: Both books talk about revolution and the people, individual rights vs. common wellness. "darkness at noon" is pretty similar to 1984, without the especulation/science-fiction ingredient.
    The Archivist's Story by Travis Holland (CatyM)
    CatyM: Two very powerful stories of what happens when a very small cog in the machine of a dictatorship decides not to turn anymore.
    Brave New World and Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (thebookpile)
    The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: If you read only one other dystopian SF story, make it this one.
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (MMSequeira)
    MMSequeira: Another interesting attempt at a plausible history of the future. Definitely worth reading.
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (weener)
    Panopticon; or, The inspection-house by Jeremy Bentham (bertilak)

English (668)  Spanish (9)  French (7)  Dutch (6)  German (6)  Italian (6)  Swedish (5)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Greek (1)  Hebrew (1)  Turkish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (716)
  aweinel | Jul 14, 2014 |
Perhaps were nearing 1984. Doublespeak predominates. Words mean the opposite of their definition. Bureaucrats rule over idiosyncrasies. No one is accountable to the citizens, but citizens are accountable to their government. Read this classic again. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
This book, every time I read it, only gets better.

I am captivated by Winston's choices (some of which are terrible and stupid).

But I am, everytime, crushed by the end.

Reading about Big Brother, censorship, undying loyalty to the Party sadly reminds me too much of our own society. Specifically, I think to post-9/11, when the government was able to lock up citizens and non citizens for as long as they wanted, without the right to a lawyer or judge, just locked up. I think of US citizens who were encouraged to report "suspicious" behavior and actions of their neighbors. I think of citizens and celebrities who, if they dared speak against the war, were astrocized and labeled unpatriotic.

Reading this book makes me sad for our society. It makes me wish we were better than we are.

SPOILER:
Every time I read this, I am absolutely devastated that he is captured, that he is tortured and gives everything and everyone up. I am haunted by the last words in the book, "I love Big Brother".

This is one of the first dystopia books I ever read, and unlike some, it ends with such a lack of hope that the reader is left feeling that the current situations of the people will never be altered. This sense of hopelessness is one that leaves the reader chilled--which is what I think was the desired purposed. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
This book, every time I read it, only gets better.

I am captivated by Winston's choices (some of which are terrible and stupid).

But I am, everytime, crushed by the end.

SPOILER:

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
The book has a intresting concept as a whole, but i still feel the characters are really shallow, reading 10 pages in total of 235 that are pure quote's from a book the main character is reading just felt like overkill.

Overall i guess it's a 'ok' book, it however is definately not what i was expecting from all the people that told me to read it cause its such a great book. ( )
  Lorune | Jul 6, 2014 |
Most novels about an imaginary world (e.g., Gulliver's Travels, Erewhon) have as their central character, or interpreter, a man who somehow strays out of the author's own times and finds himself in a world he never made. But Orwell, like Aldous Huxley in Brave New World, builds his nightmare of tomorrow on foundations that are firmly laid today. He needs no contemporary spokesman to explain and interpret — for the simple reason that any reader in 1949 can uneasily see his own shattered features in Winston Smith, can scent in the world of 1984 a stench that is already familiar.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jun 20, 1949)

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is not impressive as a novel about particular human beings. Its account of life thirty-five years hence has little fanciful or gadgety interest. But as a prophecy and a warning it is superb. The ultimate degradation of a totalitarian sates is here portrayed with repulsive power.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Orville Prescott (pay site) (Jun 13, 1949)

It is probable that no other work of this generation has made us desire freedom more earnestly or loathe tyranny with such fullness...the terrific, long crescendo and the quick decrescendo that George Orwell has made of this struggle for survival and the final extinction of a personality.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Mark Schorer (pay site) (Jun 12, 1949)

Orwell, Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Warburton, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
1984 (1956IMDb)
1984 (2009IMDb)
1984 (2010IMDb)
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
"BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU."
"WAR IS PEACE. SLAVERY IS FREEDOM. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."
"Freedom is the freedom to know that two plus two make four."
Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.
"In philosophy, or religion, or ethics, or politics, two plus two might make five, but when one was designing a fun or an airplane they had to make four."
"George 1984 Orwell" is a cataloging error for 1984 by George Orwell.
Published in 1949, it is set in the eponymous year and focuses on a repressive, totalitarian regime. Orwell elaborates on how a massive oligarchial collectivist society such as the one described in Nineteen Eighty-Four would be able to repress any long-lived dissent. The story follows the life of one seemingly insignificant man, Winston Smith, a civil servant assigned the task of perpetuating the regime's propaganda by falsifying records and political literature. Smith grows disillusioned with his meagre existence and so begins a rebellion against the system that leads to his arrest and torture.
The hero battles
A government dance of words.
"++good, Comrade."

(one-horse.library)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451524934, Mass Market Paperback)

Among the seminal texts of the 20th century, Nineteen Eighty-Four is a rare work that grows more haunting as its futuristic purgatory becomes more real. Published in 1949, the book offers political satirist George Orwell's nightmare vision of a totalitarian, bureaucratic world and one poor stiff's attempt to find individuality. The brilliance of the novel is Orwell's prescience of modern life--the ubiquity of television, the distortion of the language--and his ability to construct such a thorough version of hell. Required reading for students since it was published, it ranks among the most terrifying novels ever written.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:46 -0400)

Portrays a terrifying vision of life in the future when a totalitarian government, considered a "Negative Utopia," watches over all citizens and directs all activities, becoming more powerful as time goes by.

Legacy Library: George Orwell

George Orwell has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See George Orwell's legacy profile.

See George Orwell's author page.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Six editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118776X, 1405807040, 0141036141, 0141191201, 0143566490, 0141391707

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible