1984 by George Orwell (Author) Erich Fromm…

1984 (original 1949; edition 1961)

by George Orwell (Author) Erich Fromm (Afterword)

Authors:George Orwell (Author) Erich Fromm (Afterword)
Info:Signet Classics (1961), Paperback, 270 pages

1984 by George Orwell (1949)

Animal Farm by George Orwell (JGKC, haraldo)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (nathanm, chrisharpe, MinaKelly, li33ieg, haraldo, Ludi_Ling, Morteana, Waldstein)
    li33ieg: 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451: 3 essential titles that remind us of the need to keep our individual souls pure.
    Ludi_Ling: Really, the one cannot be mentioned without the other. Actually, apart from the dystopian subject matter, they are very different stories, but serve as a great counterpoint to one another.
    Waldstein: It's essential to read Huxley's and Orwell's books together. Both present the ultimate version of the totalitarian state, but there the similarities end. While Orwell argues in favour of hate and fear, Huxley suggests that pleasure and drugs would be far more effective as controlling forces. Who was the more prescient prophet? That's what every reader should decide for his- or herself.… (more)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (readafew, hipdeep, Booksloth, rosylibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    hipdeep: 1984 is scary like a horror movie. Fahrenheit 451 is scary like the news. So - do you want to see something really scary?
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A man's romance-inspired defiance of menacing, repressive governments in bleak futures are the themes of these compelling novels. Control of language and monitors that both broadcast to and spy on people are key motifs. Both are dramatic, haunting, and thought-provoking.… (more)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (wosret, Anonymous user)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (citygirl, cflorente, wosret, norabelle414, readingwolverine)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (hippietrail, BGP, soylentgreen23, roby72, timoroso, MEStaton, Anonymous user, Sylak)
    hippietrail: The original dystopian novel from which both Huxley and Orwell drew inspiration.
    timoroso: Zamyatin's "We" was not just a precursor of "Nineteen Eighty-Four" but the work Orwell took as a model for his own book.
    Sylak: A great influence in the writing of his own book.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (vegetarianflautist, avid_reader25)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (readerbabe1984)
    V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (cflorente, readerbabe1984)
    Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (pyrocow)
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (BGP, ivan.frade)
    ivan.frade: Both books talk about revolution and the people, individual rights vs. common wellness. "darkness at noon" is pretty similar to 1984, without the especulation/science-fiction ingredient.
    Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (thebookpile)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (infiniteletters, suzanney, JFDR)
    JFDR: 1984's Big Brother is Little Brother's namesake.
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (andejons, Anonymous user)
    andejons: The totalitarian state works very similar in both books, but the control in Kallocain seems more plausible, which makes it more frightening.
    Panopticon; or, The inspection-house by Jeremy Bentham (bertilak)
    The Archivist's Story by Travis Holland (catherinestead)
    catherinestead: Two very powerful stories of what happens when a very small cog in the machine of a dictatorship decides not to turn anymore.
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (MMSequeira)
    MMSequeira: Another interesting attempt at a plausible history of the future. Definitely worth reading.
    The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: If you read only one other dystopian SF story, make it this one.
    Heart of a Dog by Mikhail Bulgakov (BGP)

1940s (2)
Read (27)
Unread books (1,026)

English (786)  Spanish (16)  Italian (8)  French (8)  Dutch (6)  German (6)  Swedish (6)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Turkish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Greek (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (845)
See, this is a hard one to rate. Or even to understand how I would go about rating it.

I get that in its day, this must have been terrifying. The way technology was developing and how they'd only been a couple years out of a world war, made something like this seem horrifyingly realistic.

But now it isn't. So while I understand that it used to be, I can't call it a masterpiece because it till is, if that makes any sense?

So all I have left to work with is the story. And the story, while good, isn't brilliant. It's got a plot that's both confusing and obvious at the same time. It's got insta-love, which just makes me scoff a little bit. And I have some personal reasons for just not being very into all the reality/un-reality conversations. I had to skim half of the paragraphs and dialogue from about page 250 either. I still read it, and I still got it, so don't say I didn't, but I wasn't up for some of that.

I don't know. All in all, I realise that this definitely would have been a 5/5* read if I had been alive when it was published. But it's just too out of the realm of "this could happen" which is the frightening part of most distopyian fiction. And the story just doesn't make up the last star that that loses.

Even after typing all this I'm still not sure if this is all my thoughts on it, or if I'm happy with the rating I'm giving it. But, it'll have to do. ( )
  bastardreading | Oct 12, 2016 |
Ok, this book was great, really great. I loved the whole idea for it and how methodically Orwell had planned out his world until it felt real. I felt whilst I was reading it, that something like that could really happen. It freaked me out but also made me sit up and think about what our society is like today.

Plot: 4/5

I really enjoyed the plot as a whole but I did find the start a tad boring. Orwell spent quite a lot of time explaining and describing the deeper political and social parts of his world and I found myself overloaded with a lot of rather boring information at the start. This was all very helpful later on in the novel so it wasn't wasted but at the time I found myself a little bored by so much telling of information and no plot so to speak. The middle part where all the adventure/excitement happens is my favourite part as I found it quite nerve racking and I was worried about what would happen to our main characters. The very end of the novel slightly confused me as I feel as if Orwell missed out a part or something as the novel skipped through a chunk of time and changed the setting and I was a bit confused as to what was going on.

Characters: 4/5

The main character in the novel is a man called Winston Smith who finds himself different to everyone else in society. I found Winston to be a great main character as I felt sorry for him at the start and really wanted thngs to work out for him. The other main character is called Julia and I liked her too but not as much. I'm not sure whether this was on purpose or not but I felt she was rather dim and it annoyed me. The characters develop nicely and you see a real change in them towards the end of the novel.

Setting: 5/5

The novel is set in 1984 (funnily enough!) which, when Orwell wrote it, was in the future. Although 1984 has passed I still feel this is a situation that might one day happen to the world. Having the novel set in a world that we can all relate to makes it very hard hitting but also more scary as it feels more realistic as you can recognise things that go on today

Overall: 4/5

This is a really good novel which is also a modern (ish) classic and I definitely think you should read it at least once as it does linger with you even after you have closed the book.
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
Re-read in 2016. Disturbing and highly original dystopia, where the State is all-powerful. Big Bother, Thought Police, Double-think, Room 101: so many ideas that have entered our common language.

Winston works for The Ministry of Truth, rewriting the past so that Big Brother is always right. Surveillance is everywhere, words are suppressed and thoughts are controlled.

A novel exposing the danger of Totalitarianism, that seems scarily as relevant today as in the aftermath of Nazism & the heights of Communism in 1948 when this was written. ( )
  LARA335 | Oct 1, 2016 |
I realize that I'm "supposed" to love this because it's a classic, but I didn't. Don't get me wrong, I liked it and I'd still recommend it. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
As a novel, Nineteen Eighty-Four will give you the chills with its tales of tragic oppression. But as a real-life cautionary omen? Maybe at one point, decades ago. I think Orwell's ominously prophetic novel isn't as relevant now that we live in an interconnected world. I can see where one could think the opposite, but I don't see Big Brother being a real menace other than as conspiracy theory fodder.

That final section, holy smokes, that was one of the most horrific series of scenes I've ever read. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Sep 28, 2016 |
Londres, 1984: Winston Smith decide rebelarse ante un gobierno totalitario que controla cada uno de los movimientos de sus ciudadanos y castiga incluso a aquellos que delinquen con el pensamiento. Consciente de las terribles consecuencias que puede acarrear la disidencia, Winston se une a la ambigua Hermandad por mediación del líder O’'Brien. Paulatinamente, sin embargo, nuestro protagonista va comprendiendo que ni la Hermandad ni O'’Brien son lo que aparentan, y que la rebelión, al cabo, quizá sea un objetivo inalcanzable. Por su magnífico análisis del poder y de las relaciones y dependencias que crea en los individuos, 1984 es una de las novelas más inquietantes y atractivas de este siglo.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia
Most novels about an imaginary world (e.g., Gulliver's Travels, Erewhon) have as their central character, or interpreter, a man who somehow strays out of the author's own times and finds himself in a world he never made. But Orwell, like Aldous Huxley in Brave New World, builds his nightmare of tomorrow on foundations that are firmly laid today. He needs no contemporary spokesman to explain and interpret — for the simple reason that any reader in 1949 can uneasily see his own shattered features in Winston Smith, can scent in the world of 1984 a stench that is already familiar.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jun 20, 1949)
"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is not impressive as a novel about particular human beings. Its account of life thirty-five years hence has little fanciful or gadgety interest. But as a prophecy and a warning it is superb. The ultimate degradation of a totalitarian sates is here portrayed with repulsive power.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Orville Prescott (pay site) (Jun 13, 1949)
It is probable that no other work of this generation has made us desire freedom more earnestly or loathe tyranny with such fullness...the terrific, long crescendo and the quick decrescendo that George Orwell has made of this struggle for survival and the final extinction of a personality.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Mark Schorer (pay site) (Jun 12, 1949)

Orwell, Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vos, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warburton, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
1984 (1956IMDb)
1984 (2009IMDb)
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
"Freedom is the freedom to know that two plus two make four."
Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.
"In philosophy, or religion, or ethics, or politics, two plus two might make five, but when one was designing a fun or an airplane they had to make four."
"George 1984 Orwell" is a cataloging error for 1984 by George Orwell.
Published in 1949, it is set in the eponymous year and focuses on a repressive, totalitarian regime. Orwell elaborates on how a massive oligarchial collectivist society such as the one described in Nineteen Eighty-Four would be able to repress any long-lived dissent. The story follows the life of one seemingly insignificant man, Winston Smith, a civil servant assigned the task of perpetuating the regime's propaganda by falsifying records and political literature. Smith grows disillusioned with his meagre existence and so begins a rebellion against the system that leads to his arrest and torture.
The hero battles
A government dance of words.
"++good, Comrade."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451524934, Mass Market Paperback)

Among the seminal texts of the 20th century, Nineteen Eighty-Four is a rare work that grows more haunting as its futuristic purgatory becomes more real. Published in 1949, the book offers political satirist George Orwell's nightmare vision of a totalitarian, bureaucratic world and one poor stiff's attempt to find individuality. The brilliance of the novel is Orwell's prescience of modern life--the ubiquity of television, the distortion of the language--and his ability to construct such a thorough version of hell. Required reading for students since it was published, it ranks among the most terrifying novels ever written.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

Portrays life in a future time when a totalitarian government watches over all citizens and directs all activities.

Legacy Library: George Orwell

George Orwell has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See George Orwell's legacy profile.

See George Orwell's author page.

3 2029

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118776X, 1405807040, 0141036141, 0141191201, 0143566490, 0141391707

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,723,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible