1984 by George Orwell

1984 (original 1949; edition 1972)

by George Orwell, Amélie Audiberti (Traduction)

Member:Levieuxleon
Title:1984
Authors:George Orwell
Other authors:Amélie Audiberti (Traduction)
Info:Gallimard (1972), Poche, 438 pages

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (1949)

Animal Farm by George Orwell (JGKC, haraldo)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (nathanm, chrisharpe, MinaKelly, li33ieg, haraldo, Ludi_Ling)
    li33ieg: 1984, Brave New World and Fahrenheit 451: 3 essential titles that remind us of the need to keep our individual souls pure.
    Ludi_Ling: Really, the one cannot be mentioned without the other. Actually, apart from the dystopian subject matter, they are very different stories, but serve as a great counterpoint to one another.
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (readafew, hipdeep, Booksloth, rosylibrarian, moietmoi, haraldo, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    readafew: Both books are about keeping the people in control and ignorant.
    hipdeep: 1984 is scary like a horror movie. Fahrenheit 451 is scary like the news. So - do you want to see something really scary?
    BookshelfMonstrosity: A man's romance-inspired defiance of menacing, repressive governments in bleak futures are the themes of these compelling novels. Control of language and monitors that both broadcast to and spy on people are key motifs. Both are dramatic, haunting, and thought-provoking.… (more)
    A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (wosret, Anonymous user)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (citygirl, cflorente, wosret, norabelle414, readingwolverine)
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (hippietrail, BGP, soylentgreen23, roby72, timoroso, MEStaton, Anonymous user, Sylak)
    hippietrail: The original dystopian novel from which both Huxley and Orwell drew inspiration.
    timoroso: Zamyatin's "We" was not just a precursor of "Nineteen Eighty-Four" but the work Orwell took as a model for his own book.
    Sylak: A great influence in the writing of his own book.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (vegetarianflautist, avid_reader25)
    V for Vendetta by Alan Moore (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: The world of V for Vendetta is very reminiscent of the world of 1984.
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (readerbabe1984)
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (cflorente, readerbabe1984)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (infiniteletters, suzanney, JFDR)
    JFDR: 1984's Big Brother is Little Brother's namesake.
    Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (pyrocow)
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (BGP, ivan.frade)
    ivan.frade: Both books talk about revolution and the people, individual rights vs. common wellness. "darkness at noon" is pretty similar to 1984, without the especulation/science-fiction ingredient.
    Brave New World & Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley (thebookpile)
    Kallocain by Karin Boye (andejons, Anonymous user)
    andejons: The totalitarian state works very similar in both books, but the control in Kallocain seems more plausible, which makes it more frightening.
    Panopticon; or, The inspection-house by Jeremy Bentham (bertilak)
    The Archivist's Story by Travis Holland (CatyM)
    CatyM: Two very powerful stories of what happens when a very small cog in the machine of a dictatorship decides not to turn anymore.
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (weener)
    This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (MMSequeira)
    MMSequeira: Another interesting attempt at a plausible history of the future. Definitely worth reading.
    The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: If you read only one other dystopian SF story, make it this one.

1940s (2)
Read (26)
Unread books (1,155)

English (716)  Spanish (11)  French (8)  Italian (8)  Dutch (7)  German (6)  Swedish (5)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Turkish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Greek (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (770)
A world without books is to me, hell. I loved 1984 when I read it back in grade 12. I plan on reading it again. But Orwell is one of the best authors I've been able to read and know that despite not remembering much of the book, it was amazing! ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Which of these three phrases ring true in our current society?
War is Peace. Through the constant influx of war, can we gain a permanent peace?
Freedom is slavery. We live our lives as if we have true freedom in a democratic society. But what exactly are we free from again?
Ignorance is strength. This goes out to the masses who slave day in and day out, fulfilling the American Dream. Everyone's ignorance is society's strength.

These three lines from Orwell's 1984, although written in the war stricken world of 1949, still rings true today. And because of the prophetic vision of this nightmarish dystopia that Orwell presents to us, this is a book that I think everyone ought to read. If you like political statements in literature form, then this works for you. But don't think of this as the original V for Vendetta...the ending is not as happy as V's. The outcome of 1984 was rather dismal for my tastes, and that's probably why I didn't like it as much as I should have. Nonetheless, this is a piece of literature worth adding to your repertoire.

Oldspeak is obsolete. Ungood. Newspeak is doubleplusgood. What better way to create a perfect language, complete with doublethink, and lacking in any sarcasm whatsoever, than Newspeak. What is it? It's the new way of speaking, of course! One thing that I thoroughly did enjoy about Orwell's novel was the complete and utter destruction of language. Being one who loves the diversity of language and what it can teach us, and being an English teacher at that, I was mortified by the way the English language had become in the distant future of 1984. In only a couple more decades, by around 2050, everyone would be speaking in Newspeak. And the beauty and diversity of our current language would be no more. I feel that, post-1984, I now have a sweeter appreciation for language, the intonations, the connotations, the implications, and all the other insinuations of language. It's what gives each of us our...individualization. ( )
1 vote jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
'It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen.' I love this opening sentence and I love this book. I think it is as relevant now as it was in 1984 or in 1948 when it was written. Big Brother and Room 101 were in this book long before they were on our (two-way) telescreens. It has its own language, Newspeak, own way of thinking, Doublethink, and there's also the two minutes hate, the thought police and the anti-sex league to get your head around. We travel through this awful new world with our unglamourous hero, Winston Smith, until the story reaches its sad conclusion. I would strongly recommend people to read this book. It is dystopia at its best (and worst). ( )
  AmiloFinn | Jun 13, 2015 |
Así si vale la pena leer distopías . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
“Los fines de estos tres grupos son inconciliables. Los Altos quieren quedarse donde están. Los Medianos tratan de arrebatarles sus puestos a los Altos. La finalidad de los Bajos, cuando la tienen —porque su principal característica es hallarse aplastados por las exigencias de la vida cotidiana—, consiste en abolir todas las distinciones y crear una sociedad en que todos los hombres sean iguales. Así, vuelve a presentarse continuamente la misma lucha social.” ( )
  fgrajales89 | May 15, 2015 |
Most novels about an imaginary world (e.g., Gulliver's Travels, Erewhon) have as their central character, or interpreter, a man who somehow strays out of the author's own times and finds himself in a world he never made. But Orwell, like Aldous Huxley in Brave New World, builds his nightmare of tomorrow on foundations that are firmly laid today. He needs no contemporary spokesman to explain and interpret — for the simple reason that any reader in 1949 can uneasily see his own shattered features in Winston Smith, can scent in the world of 1984 a stench that is already familiar.
added by Shortride | editTime (Jun 20, 1949)

"Nineteen Eighty-Four" is not impressive as a novel about particular human beings. Its account of life thirty-five years hence has little fanciful or gadgety interest. But as a prophecy and a warning it is superb. The ultimate degradation of a totalitarian sates is here portrayed with repulsive power.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Orville Prescott (pay site) (Jun 13, 1949)

It is probable that no other work of this generation has made us desire freedom more earnestly or loathe tyranny with such fullness...the terrific, long crescendo and the quick decrescendo that George Orwell has made of this struggle for survival and the final extinction of a personality.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Mark Schorer (pay site) (Jun 12, 1949)

Orwell, Georgeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vos, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warburton, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
1984 (1956IMDb)
1984 (2009IMDb)
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
"BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU."
"WAR IS PEACE. SLAVERY IS FREEDOM. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."
"Freedom is the freedom to know that two plus two make four."
Who controls the past controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.
"In philosophy, or religion, or ethics, or politics, two plus two might make five, but when one was designing a fun or an airplane they had to make four."
"George 1984 Orwell" is a cataloging error for 1984 by George Orwell.
Published in 1949, it is set in the eponymous year and focuses on a repressive, totalitarian regime. Orwell elaborates on how a massive oligarchial collectivist society such as the one described in Nineteen Eighty-Four would be able to repress any long-lived dissent. The story follows the life of one seemingly insignificant man, Winston Smith, a civil servant assigned the task of perpetuating the regime's propaganda by falsifying records and political literature. Smith grows disillusioned with his meagre existence and so begins a rebellion against the system that leads to his arrest and torture.
The hero battles
A government dance of words.
"++good, Comrade."

(one-horse.library)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451524934, Mass Market Paperback)

Among the seminal texts of the 20th century, Nineteen Eighty-Four is a rare work that grows more haunting as its futuristic purgatory becomes more real. Published in 1949, the book offers political satirist George Orwell's nightmare vision of a totalitarian, bureaucratic world and one poor stiff's attempt to find individuality. The brilliance of the novel is Orwell's prescience of modern life--the ubiquity of television, the distortion of the language--and his ability to construct such a thorough version of hell. Required reading for students since it was published, it ranks among the most terrifying novels ever written.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:46 -0400)

Portrays life in a future time when a totalitarian government watches over all citizens and directs all activities.

Legacy Library: George Orwell

George Orwell has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See George Orwell's legacy profile.

See George Orwell's author page.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118776X, 1405807040, 0141036141, 0141191201, 0143566490, 0141391707

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,852,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible