Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass…

Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago (2004)

by Tim Moore

English (7)  German (1)  All languages (8)
I've been a fan of Moore since the "Frost on my mustache" days and knew I would be in for a humorous time reading "Spanish Steps", and I was right.

Moore takes a donkey named Shinto for a trek along the Santiago Compostella, the famous pilgrim trek across Spain. While we hope that Shinto wasn't mistreated, we get a history of the trek, the area and we meet the fellow pilgrims making their way to Santiago, including an Australian who, completely unsurprisingly, drank a lot. ( )
  MiaCulpa | Sep 5, 2018 |
My only two complaints about this book are that I found it a bit difficult to keep all the pilgrims he met straight and I was slightly disappointed that there were no pictures of his trip included in the book, seeing as he mentioned within the book several memorable pictures that he took. I particularly wanted to see him and Shinto together. Otherwise, I thought it was hilarious and very well-written. ( )
  emilyesears | Aug 29, 2016 |
Very funny at times although towards the end of the book I just wanted him to get there. ( )
1 vote bookmart | Sep 23, 2011 |
Moore is a very funny writer, and parts of this made me laugh out loud. However, because I fall into the category of those he dismisses as "liberal animal-rights activists", I was horrified that he dragged an animal across Spain when he had no idea how to care for said animal. I don't deny that donkeys are bred as pack animals, but this one gets hoof rot, ergot poisoning, has an allergic reaction to inappropriately used tick spray, and is "stabled" each night in parking lots, junkyards, and hooligan-infested vacant lots. It may not be a chronicle of animal cruelty - Moore comes to love the donkey very much - but it is a chronicle of animal neglect, and as such upset me a lot.
2 vote atheist_goat | Jul 26, 2010 |
Humorous British travel writer takes his cynical self and an unwilling donkey named Shinto on pilgrimage…got to love a book that pokes fun of new-agey nonsense while still making one long for an opportunity to take a really long walk. ( )
  kayron8 | Nov 13, 2008 |
To Shinto
I was on a small boat in Norway when I first heard about it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312320833, Paperback)

Having no knowledge of Spanish and even less about the care and feeding of donkeys, Tim Moore, Britain's indefatigable traveling Everyman, sets out on a pilgrimage to the cathedral at Santiago de Compostela with a donkey named Shinto as his companion. Armed only with a twelfth-century handbook to the route and expert advice on donkey management from Robert Louis Stevenson, Moore and his four-legged companion travel the ancient five-hundred-mile route from St. Jean Pied-de-Port, on the French side of the Pyrenees, to the cathedral at Santiago de Compostela which houses the remains of Spain's patron saint, St. James.

Over sun-scorched highways, precipitous bridges, dirt paths shaded by leafy trees, and vineyards occasionally lashed by downpours, Moore and Shinto pass through some of northern Spain's oldest towns and cities in colorful company. Clearly more interested in Shinto than in Moore, their fellow walkers are an assortment of devout Christian pilgrims, New Age--spirituality seekers aspiring to be the next Shirley Maclaine, Baby Boomers contemplating middle age, and John Q Public just out for a cheap, boozy sun-drenched outdoor holiday.

As Moore pushes, pulls, wheedles, cajoles, and threatens Shinto across Spain, the duo overnights in the bedrooms, dormitories, and---for Shinto---grassy fields of northern Spain. Shinto, a donkey with a finely honed talent for relieving himself at the most inopportune moments, has better luck in the search for his next meal than Moore does in finding his inner pilgrim. Undaunted, however, Man and Beast finally arrive at the cathedral and a successful end to their journey. For readers who delighted in his earlier books, Travels With my Donkey is the next hilarious chapter in the travels of Tim Moore, a book that keeps the bones of St. James rattling to this day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:10 -0400)

This text recounts Tim Moore's pilgrimage along the ancient five-hundred-mile route from St Jean Pied-de-Port on the French side of the Pyrenees to the cathedral at Santiago de Compostela in Spain, housing the remains of Spain's patron saint. His companion on the walk is a donkey called Shinto.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,816,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible