Kill My Mother: A Graphic Novel by Jules…

Kill My Mother: A Graphic Novel (2014)

by Jules Feiffer

Nice period story, great art. Hard to suspend disbelief as it goes on. ( )
  yeremenko | Aug 11, 2017 |
I was horrid to my mother when I was 15, and my lovely daughter was horrid to me when she was fifteen. So right away, I found this book fun when it opened with a horrid 15 year old girl jitterbugging and dissing her working mother. Her boyfriend says, mid-dance-step: ‘“Annie, your mother’s gonna kill us if she finds us,”’ and, snotty monster that she is, Annie replies, ‘“I could kill my mother.’”
From there, the tale expands into a female-centric story that turns on its head the hard-boiled male-centric noir detective genre. The plot twists and turns … mistaken identities, revenge motifs, car “chases,” jealous husbands, chance meetings of people who haven’t seen each other in 10 years … can be absurd and improbable but that craziness seems to be part of the noir parody. Any story weakness is overcome by Feiffer’s lovely, kinetic, frenetic art. I read this twice, so I could go back and see how Feiffer set up the story and to savor the visual layout.
  Mary_Overton | Dec 11, 2016 |
With graphic novels I kinda know from the first pages whether I'm gonna like it or not. The plots and twists might be great, but if I don't like the artwork, it'll be harder to really get into the story itself. I'm quite black and white when it come to these matters - with a few exceptions, when I go numb.
With Kill my Mother, I hardly had time to pay any attention to any of this - in fact it was quite a delight to catch myself watching a movie instead. Stronger even, Feiffer managed to make me part of one! And not just any!
Film noir told in a graphic novel. Impressive! ( )
  NinaCaramelita | Jun 2, 2016 |
The first half of the novel is pretty terrific and the artwork, throughout the whole, is exceptional. But I was confused several times by who was involved with whom and why - and, after glancing back through, it felt like there were narrative leaps that were taken somewhat unnecessarily. It all added up to me not particularly caring about the characters or their circumstances and just wanting to look at the pictures. Perhaps a wordless version of the story might've been more engaging after all - but then maybe not. Still, it's marvelous to reconnect with an artist who has, after all this time, retained such an indelible stamp on my mind.

More at RB: http://ragingbiblioholism.com/2014/08/04/kill-my-mother/ ( )
  drewsof | Sep 30, 2015 |

More at RB: http://ragingbiblioholism.com/2014/08/04/kill-my-mother/ ( )
  drewsof | Sep 30, 2015 |
To Milton Caniff

Will Eisner

Hammet and Chandler and Cain --

John Huston

Billy Wilder

Howard Hawks

And Joan Z. Holden!
And now for your listening pleasure- Miss Ginger Rogers sings her new hit from her new musical, "The Gold Diggers." Sing, Ginger!

When three daunting dolls intersect with one hapless heroine and a hard-boiled private eye, deception, betrayal, and murder stalk every mean street in…Kill My Mother.

Adding to a legendary career that includes a Pulitzer Prize, an Academy Award, Obie Awards, and Lifetime Achievement Awards from the National Cartoonist Society and the Writers Guild of America, Jules Feiffer now presents his first noir graphic novel. Kill My Mother is a loving homage to the pulp-inspired films and comic strips of his youth. Channeling Eisner's The Spirit, along with the likes of Hammett, Chandler, Cain, John Huston, and Billy Wilder, and spiced with the deft humor for which Feiffer is renowned, Kill My Mother centers on five formidable women from two unrelated families, linked fatefully and fatally by a has-been, hard-drinking private detective.

As our story begins, we meet Annie Hannigan, an out-of-control teenager, jitterbugging in the 1930s. Annie dreams of offing her mother, Elsie, whom she blames for abandoning her for a job soon after her husband, a cop, is shot and killed. Now, employed by her husband’s best friend—an over-the-hill and perpetually soused private eye—Elsie finds herself covering up his missteps as she is drawn into a case of a mysterious client, who leads her into a decade-long drama of deception and dual identities sprawling from the Depression era to World War II Hollywood and the jungles of the South Pacific.

Along with three femme fatales, an obsessed daughter, and a loner heroine, Kill My Mother features a fighter turned tap dancer, a small-time thug who dreams of being a hit man, a name-dropping cab driver, a communist liquor store owner, and a hunky movie star with a mind-boggling secret. Culminating in a U.S.O. tour on a war-torn Pacific island, this disparate band of old enemies congregate to settle scores.

In a drawing style derived from Steve Canyon and The Spirit, Feiffer combines his long-honed skills as cartoonist, playwright, and screenwriter to draw us into this seductively menacing world where streets are black with soot and rain, and base motives and betrayal are served on the rocks in bars unsafe to enter. Bluesy, fast-moving, and funny, Kill My Mother is a trip to Hammett-Chandler-Cain Land: a noir-graphic novel like the movies they don’t make anymore.

Collor illustrations

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:34 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible