Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Bhagavad Gita (Penguin Classics) by…

The Bhagavad Gita (Penguin Classics)

by Anonymous

Recently added bysunil_kumar, private library, barnettie, HopJam, bookgirl1968, KropotkinsLeftFoot, dartmouthcrew, mjkt1086
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

Asia (46)

The ancient wisdom texts are always a pleasure to read. Loved the Stephen Mitchell translation, as well as his commentary which weaves together the ideas of the Bhaghavad Gita and Dao De Jing. ( )
  yamiyoghurt | Jan 29, 2018 |
I feel silly trying to give this a rating. Much as I'd feel silly about giving the Bible a rating. It's about beliefs that I haven't been brought up in, so it's hard to understand it all in one reading -- it's not even a faith I've done much research into before now. I suppose one could read it in a purely literary way, but I didn't, really. It was hard to focus on how good the translation was or whatever when I was trying to focus on understanding exactly what was being suggested. There were things I recognised from studying Buddhism, but for the most part it was quite new to me.

The introduction (and translator's introduction) is reasonably helpful, giving some context. I should probably reread it now that I've actually read the main text, and see if it illuminates everything a bit more.

Maybe I'll do a better review when I've thought about it some more. It's interesting, though, reading something outside of my own experience. It's worth reading something like this, to try and get to some new ideas. In itself, this isn't hard to read, and there are some lovely passages about Krishna.

I might also try reading a different translation, at some stage. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
My guess is that this is like the Christian Bible. People have it in on their shelves, but they don't read it.

This can turn your head in several directions. Like any good religious text, it is not simple, and you can read it over and over again, and still find something new. ( )
  Arctic-Stranger | Mar 13, 2007 |

The eighteen chapters of The Bhagavad Gita (c. 500 b.c.), the glory of Sanskrit literature, encompass the whole spiritual struggle of a human soul. Its three central themes—love, light, and life—arise from the symphonic vision of God in all things and of all things in God.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:14 -0400)

"The Bhagavad Gita is an intensely spiritual work that forms the cornerstone of the Hindu faith, and is also one of the masterpieces of Sanskrit poetry. It describes how, at the beginning of a mighty battle between the Pandava and Kaurava armies, the god Krishna gives spiritual enlightenment to the warrior, Arjuna, who realized that the true battle is for his own soul." "Juan Mascaro's translation of The Bhagavad Gita captures the extraordinary aural qualities of the original Sanskrit. This edition features a new introduction by Simon Brodbeck, which discussed concepts such as dehin, prakriti and karma."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,454,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible