dismiss

The Coveted (The Unearthly) by Laura…

The Coveted (The Unearthly) (edition 2013)

by Laura Thalassa (Author)

Series: The Unearthly (2)

"In places that know more about heaven and hell than we do, you have a reputation, Gabrielle. To them you are known as the devil's consort." When a body shows up near Peel Academy, all signs indicate the killer is a vampire. Ravaged throat, body drained of blood. At least that's all it appears to be when the Politia, the supernatural police force, assigns Gabrielle to the case. Now it's Gabrielle's job to figure out who did it. But after a second body turns up with the same lethal wounds, it's clear that a serial killer is stalking the island. The murders have compromised the truce between the Politia and vampires, and as long as the killer roams free, it is in danger of dissolving. If that happens, no vampire is safe from persecution, not even Gabrielle. Now Gabrielle must team up with Andre, her soulmate and the one person she's tried to stay away from, to investigate the murders before the truce dissolves. And keeping her distance is proving to be impossible. But Gabrielle has a bigger problem. The world of the dead know about her, and their whispers hint that something is coming for her. And it's coming soon.… (more)
Member:Rempala
Title:The Coveted (The Unearthly)
Authors:Laura Thalassa (Author)
Info:Lavabrook Publishing Group (2013), 310 pages
Collections:2015

The Coveted by Laura Thalassa

Completed 08/31/18 ( )
  ERose207 | Aug 31, 2018 |
I received this book for free through the Goodreads Firstreads.

Now, for the good stuff.

I haven't read the first one. Haven't even LOOKED at the first one. But after reading this, I want to. It's next on my "to buy" list.

When the "vampire" aspect was brought in, I admit I rolled my eyes - I'm not a big vampire book fan. However, Laura Thalassa definitely put a spin on the whole world that made it an enjoyable read. Seers and Witches and Fairies and... shifters? Point being, it included different types of "supernaturals" or "mythologicals" than just the requisite vampires and shifters and other "baddies" you often find. I mean hey, if you're going to go creative on one aspect of the supernatural, why not just assume they all exist as well and have as much fun as possible?

Now, while it's apparent that the heroine could be considered a young adult, this doesn't necessarily read like a YA novel, which was a VERY pleasant surprise. I find her closest friends to be a good balance for her and actually bring something to the story.

There's not a lot I can criticize about this book. I wasn't hopeful at first, but as I read I found myself engaged and unwilling to put the book down. I was worried about the relationship between Gab and Andre, but was pleasantly surprised with their interaction. For the situations they were in, the situation I picked up on them leaving just a few months ago, and for Gab's headspace, it had just the right amount of tension without going overboard and shattering that element.

I am interested in following this story futher. I want to know why the Devil is after her - and I definitely want to know about this whole "vampire/siren" thing. And what's up with the fates involvement? There are questions left unanswered that intrigue me, and I definitely want to find out more. ( )
  shammynix | Feb 8, 2014 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,599,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible