A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

A Clockwork Orange (original 1962; edition 1986)

by Anthony Burgess

Member:br13wivan
Title:A Clockwork Orange
Authors:Anthony Burgess
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (1986), Paperback, 213 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Ballantine

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (1962)

1960s (9)
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (wosret)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (MinaKelly)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (lucyknows)
    lucyknows: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey may be paired with A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess or The Outsider by Albert Camus. All three novels explore the them of society versus the individual.
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (wosret)
    The Stranger by Albert Camus (SanctiSpiritus)
    Brighton Rock by Graham Greene (John_Vaughan)
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (sturlington)
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (SqueakyChu)
    A Boy and His Dog [short story] by Harlan Ellison (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Futuristic ultraviolent teenage blues
    Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban (fugitive, sturlington)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: The sub-culture of designer drug use and it's effect on the gritty society within Rubicon call back to A Clockwork Orange like an anesthetized echo. The prevalent use and abuse of the potent designer neurocotic Synth and the language (Illuminese) that the addicts speak amongst themselves is a brilliant homage to Burgess's original genius! This story gave me shivers as I read through the vivid hallucinatory narrative. A must read for every fan of the genre!… (more)
    The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner by Alan Sillitoe (thatguyzero)
    A Dead Man in Deptford by Anthony Burgess (Anonymous user)
    Marabou Stork Nightmares by Irvine Welsh (SqueakyChu)

English (221)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (234)
This book is divided into parts, and my feelings for this book varied a lot, depending on the part.
Part 1: I hate the narrator. I am sickened by his random acts of violence that I cannot find any reason for. Rape, theft, and brutal assaults. I was literally sickened by this.
Part 2: He is caught, and I am pleased, rejoiced, I tell you. I like that the guards treat him like crap, and I'm a little upset that just because he reads the Bible, he gets some preferential treatment.
Part 3: (Or maybe this was still part 2?) He undergoes this 'cure'--which is basically association. Very clever. So anytime he feels like he is going to do something violent, he is so incredibly sick, he becomes nice in order to make up for those feelings. Then, he undergoes a lot of violence toward him--and I THINK I am supposed to feel bad for him because he cannot defend himself (or will feel sick)...but I still don't. I still want him to pay for his actions.

A note on the last chapter: If I read the book in the original way that it was printed in the US, without the last chapter, I would be angry. Seriously, and ending where he is able to go back to being the ultra-violent person he was originally...NO. But the last chapter gives me hope. Makes me feel about a million times better.

Now, the back of the book tells me that I am supposed to question "At what cost will we try to 'heal' those who are inclined to hurt others." To prove the point, once the narrator's ability to defend himself has been taking away, he is picked up by his enemies (who have now become police) and brutally beaten and raped if I understood correctly. Maybe this is where I discover I am a horrible person, because, I don't feel bad that this happened to him. I feel he got a taste of what he gave--and I am NOT an "eye for an eye" person. That's just how much I hated the narrator. Nor do I feel bad that he is now sickened by violence. I am sickened by violence, and I had no conditioning...

I'm not sure I'm done with this review, but school is starting! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

I'm not sure I'm done with this review, but school is starting! ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
If the author doesn't use english , I won't read it. I read about 5 pages and that was enough for me! ( )
  jnoorder | Jul 2, 2014 |
I tried. I really did. But I couldn't get past that odd language which is what is supposed to have made this book so ground-breaking. I guess it's just not my thing.
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
Review was originally posted on Goodreads.

Took me a while to read because the vocabulary was... very unique. Ir was well worth the read though. I heard that the book was difficult to read and expected to have a dictionary open at all times, but it was quite the opposite. It flowed naturally and Burgess did a wonderful job at creating this fictional language. The last few pages consisted of a vocabulary list, which was nice. I wasn't surprised to find that the assumptions I made about certain words were either dead on or very close to their intended meanings. Definitely worth reading at least once in your life. I'm eager to watch the movie since I have heard good things about it too ( )
  apollymipanthos | Jun 3, 2014 |
But all in all, “A Clockwork Orange” is a tour-de-force in nastiness, an inventive primer in total violence, a savage satire on the distortions of the single and collective minds.

In A Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess has written what looks like a nasty little shocker but is really that rare thing in English letters—a philosophical novel. The point may be overlooked because the hero, a teen-age monster, tells all about everything in nadsat, a weird argot that seems to be all his own. Nadsat is neither gibberish nor a Joycean exercise. It serves to put Alex where he belongs—half in and half out of the human race.
added by Shortride | editTime (Feb 15, 1963)

Anthony Burgessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Buenaventura, RamónPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'What's it going to be then, eh?'
Goodness comes from within [...] Goodness is something chosen. When a man cannot choose he ceases to be a man.
Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses to be bad perhapsin some way better than a man who has the good imposed upon him?
There is, in fact, not much point in writing a novel unless you can show the possibility of moral transformation, or an increase in wisdom, operating in your chief character or characters.
Information from the Hungarian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

A Clockwork Orange (1962) is a dystopian novel by Anthony Burgess.
The title is taken from an old Cockney expression, "as queer as a clockwork orange", and alludes to the prevention of the main character's exercise of his free will through the use of a classical conditioning technique. With this technique, the subject’s emotional responses to violence are systematically paired with a negative stimulation in the form of nausea caused by an emetic medicine administered just before the presentation of films depicting "ultra-violent" situations. Written from the perspective of a seemingly biased and unapologetic protagonist, the novel also contains an experiment in language: Burgess creates a new speech that is the teenage slang of the not-too-distant future.

The only American edition of the cult classic novel.

A vicious fifteen-year-old "droog" is the central character of this 1963 classic, whose stark terror was captured in Stanley Kubrick's magnificent film of the same title. In Anthony Burgess's nightmare vision of the future, where criminals take over after dark, the story is told by the central character, Alex, who talks in a brutal invented slang that brilliantly renders his and his friends' social pathology. A Clockwork Orange is a frightening fable about good and evil, and the meaning of human freedom. When the state undertakes to reform Alex—to "redeem" him—the novel asks, "At what cost?" This edition includes the controversial last chapter not published in the first edition and Burgess's introduction "A Clockwork Orange Resucked."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:49 -0400)

Told through a central character, Alex, the disturbing novel creates an alarming futuristic vision of violence, high technology, and authoritarianism. A modern classic of youthful violence and social redemption set in a dismal dystopia whereby a juvenile deliquent undergoes state-sponsored psychological rehabilitation for his aberrant behavior.… (more)

Legacy Library: Anthony Burgess

Anthony Burgess has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Anthony Burgess's legacy profile.

See Anthony Burgess's author page.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182601, 0141037229, 0141192364, 0241951445

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,669,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible