A Clockwork Orange: (Fremdsprachentexte) by…

A Clockwork Orange: (Fremdsprachentexte) (original 1962; edition 1992)

by Anthony Burgess, Claus Melchior (Herausgeber)

Member:hekki
Title:A Clockwork Orange: (Fremdsprachentexte)
Authors:Anthony Burgess
Other authors:Claus Melchior (Herausgeber)
Info:Reclam, Philipp, jun. GmbH, Verlag (1992), Taschenbuch, 260 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:favorite

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (1962)

1984 by George Orwell (wosret)
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (MinaKelly)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (lucyknows, Gregorio_Roth, Gregorio_Roth)
    lucyknows: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey may be paired with A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess or The Outsider by Albert Camus. All three novels explore the them of society versus the individual.
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (wosret)
    The Stranger by Albert Camus (SanctiSpiritus)
    A Boy and His Dog (novella) by Harlan Ellison (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Futuristic ultraviolent teenage blues
    The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger (SqueakyChu)
    Brighton Rock by Graham Greene (John_Vaughan)
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (sturlington)
    Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban (fugitive)
    Rubicon Harvest by C. W. Kesting (Aeryion)
    Aeryion: The sub-culture of designer drug use and it's effect on the gritty society within Rubicon call back to A Clockwork Orange like an anesthetized echo. The prevalent use and abuse of the potent designer neurocotic Synth and the language (Illuminese) that the addicts speak amongst themselves is a brilliant homage to Burgess's original genius! This story gave me shivers as I read through the vivid hallucinatory narrative. A must read for every fan of the genre!… (more)
    Marabou Stork Nightmares by Irvine Welsh (SqueakyChu)
    A Dead Man in Deptford by Anthony Burgess (Anonymous user)
    The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner by Alan Sillitoe (thatguyzero)
1960s (10)
Read (47)
Satire (187)

English (257)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  All (273)
Oh little Alex. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
I spent some time wondering how this book has been translated into other languages, though once I learned how much of Nadsat (the strange slang used by the narrator) is based on Russian, it became a bit clearer. Alex is an incredibly violent teenager who gets set up by his friends and sent to prison, where he joins an experimental re-education program meant to cure him of his violent impulses. The whole thing is very weird, pretty horrifying, and yet somehow enthralling. It's probably good it wasn't any longer, though I still wonder about the American publisher's decision to remove the final chapter (which is likewise absent from the famous Kubrick film), as I felt that rounded everything up quite well.

A note on the audio: I don't think I could have read this book on paper - I would have kept stumbling over the unfamiliar Nadsat words and taking me out of the story. Once you listen for a little while you pick up the rhythm and meaning quite well. Tom Hollander was an excellent choice of narrator. (My version also included a lengthy section read by Burgess himself after the end of the book, but it wasn't introduced and I didn't know it was there, so I was quite confused when it began.) ( )
  melydia | Jun 2, 2017 |
crazy book and movie ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |
I saw the film before I read the book. Normally, I wouldn't recommend it, and for a lot of readers, that would be the cause of condemnation. Well, for this book I'll make an exception. The movie introduced me to the nadsat language of this book and therefore, when, after months after searching for it, I finally bought it and read it, it was easier to work around the language. The other words not included in the film (for accessibility reasons), I either used context clues or the internet to work around the meaning.

The book (and the film, of course)deals with issues: good vs. evil, free will, and the cause of goodness/badness. You can't help but pity Alex (though still be repulsed by his actions in Part One) as he goes through hell during and after the Ludovico Treatment. It begs the question: is it better to have a rapist have free will and choose to rape, or should we take away people's choices and make them, essentially, clockwork oranges? (Hence the title.)

I love this book, but I need to warn you; there is some disturbing aspects, including a part where Alex drugs and rapes two ten year olds. Read at your own risk. ( )
  kyndyleizabella | Jan 23, 2017 |
There is only one thought that comes to mind after reading this book:

Jesus wept. ( )
1 vote Shelby-Lamb-Author | Jan 17, 2017 |
But all in all, “A Clockwork Orange” is a tour-de-force in nastiness, an inventive primer in total violence, a savage satire on the distortions of the single and collective minds.

In A Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess has written what looks like a nasty little shocker but is really that rare thing in English letters—a philosophical novel. The point may be overlooked because the hero, a teen-age monster, tells all about everything in nadsat, a weird argot that seems to be all his own. Nadsat is neither gibberish nor a Joycean exercise. It serves to put Alex where he belongs—half in and half out of the human race.
added by Shortride | editTime (Feb 15, 1963)

Burgess, Anthonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Buenaventura, RamónPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hollander, TomReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, BenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pelham, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welsh, IrvinePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'What's it going to be then, eh?'
Goodness comes from within [...] Goodness is something chosen. When a man cannot choose he ceases to be a man.
Does God want goodness or the choice of goodness? Is a man who chooses to be bad perhaps in some way better than a man who has the good imposed upon him?
There is, in fact, not much point in writing a novel unless you can show the possibility of moral transformation, or an increase in wisdom, operating in your chief character or characters.
This work is a mixture of copies of films and books that cannot be distinguished. Please do not combine it with either the book or the film.

If your copy appears here, please check the ISBN and also set the "media" field on your copy to whatever is appropriate. It can then be separated and recombined correctly.

A Clockwork Orange (1962) is a dystopian novel by Anthony Burgess.
The title is taken from an old Cockney expression, "as queer as a clockwork orange", and alludes to the prevention of the main character's exercise of his free will through the use of a classical conditioning technique. With this technique, the subject’s emotional responses to violence are systematically paired with a negative stimulation in the form of nausea caused by an emetic medicine administered just before the presentation of films depicting "ultra-violent" situations. Written from the perspective of a seemingly biased and unapologetic protagonist, the novel also contains an experiment in language: Burgess creates a new speech that is the teenage slang of the not-too-distant future.

The only American edition of the cult classic novel.

A vicious fifteen-year-old "droog" is the central character of this 1963 classic, whose stark terror was captured in Stanley Kubrick's magnificent film of the same title. In Anthony Burgess's nightmare vision of the future, where criminals take over after dark, the story is told by the central character, Alex, who talks in a brutal invented slang that brilliantly renders his and his friends' social pathology. A Clockwork Orange is a frightening fable about good and evil, and the meaning of human freedom. When the state undertakes to reform Alex—to "redeem" him—the novel asks, "At what cost?" This edition includes the controversial last chapter not published in the first edition and Burgess's introduction "A Clockwork Orange Resucked."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:27 -0400)

Told through a central character, Alex, the disturbing novel creates an alarming futuristic vision of violence, high technology, and authoritarianism. A modern classic of youthful violence and social redemption set in a dismal dystopia whereby a juvenile deliquent undergoes state-sponsored psychological rehabilitation for his aberrant behavior.… (more)

Legacy Library: Anthony Burgess

Anthony Burgess has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Anthony Burgess's legacy profile.

See Anthony Burgess's author page.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182601, 0141037229, 0141192364, 0241951445

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,153,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible