Stone Soup by Marcia Brown

Stone Soup (original 1947; edition 1947)

by Marcia Brown, Marcia Brown (Illustrator)

Member:silversurfer
Title:Stone Soup
Authors:Marcia Brown
Other authors:Marcia Brown (Illustrator)
Info:Charles Scribner's Sons (1947), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 48 pages
Tags:Children's Books

Stone Soup by Marcia Brown (1947)

Stone Soup by Marcia Brown is a story about three hungry soldiers that are spotted near a village. The village citizens are frightened of the soldiers, so they hid all their extra food. The soldiers weren't bothered by the lack of food, they decided to make stone soup. The citizens noticed the generosity of the soldiers, so decided to help make the soup. There was plenty for everyone and they all lived happily ever after. I liked this book because it was about using what you have. It also showed how sharing and kindness brings people together. I would recommend this book to all 3rd and 4th graders. ( )
  AidenC4 | May 22, 2016 |
I had mixed feelings about this book. Overall, I liked the plot of this story very much. I enjoyed how the author chose to use repetitive phrases, such as "no use asking for what you don't have," in order to advance the plot. In addition, the personalities of the three soldiers were entertaining and clever.
However, I really disliked the illustrations in this book. The illustrator used black and white ink and colored in certain parts of the pictures with bright orange paint. I felt that the "modern" style of the illustrations didn't match the narrative style. Overall, I felt that the disconnect between the pictures and the text were disappointing.
The big picture of this work was that people should remember that good deeds come full circle. ( )
  ElanaRubinstein | Apr 11, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading Stone Soup for two reasons. First, I believe the language in the book was wonderful. The story had lots of descriptive words and sentences that helped the reader visualize the setting. For example, “The soldier stirred the barley and milk into the steaming broth while the peasants stared.” I also enjoyed this book because it felt like someone was telling me the story instead of me simply reading it. With over 60% of the book being dialogue, this book has a very humanistic approach and gives multiple perspectives. For example, "'A good stone soup should have cabbage,' said the soldiers as they sliced the carrots into the pot. 'but no use asking for what you don't have.
'I think I could find a cabbage somewhere,' said Marie, and she hurried home. Back she came with three cabbages from the cupboard under the bed." The main idea of this books is that you can motivate people to help you through smooth talking. ( )
  CathiRussell | Apr 3, 2016 |
Three soldiers headed towards a town can only think of a good meal and a warm bed to sleep. The villagers, not wanting to share their food supply, cleverly hide it and offer the soldiers no place to sleep when they come by. Not to be discouraged, the soldiers tell the villagers they will make Stone Soup, and it will be enough to feed everyone. All they need are three stones - but it would taste much better with a few carrots… some cabbage… and so on… ( )
  childrenslitpdx | Mar 13, 2016 |
Genre: Folklore
This story focuses on three soldiers that are tired and hungry and need a place to stay as they march on down a long road and then how they trick some village people in making soup out of food they would not offer freely when the soldiers asked for it. Many folktales have tricks and clever characters that get what they need or want by being smart. The three soldiers make the people think they make soup from stones but really the soldiers were just getting the village people to add real food to the soup as they went along making it. The book only uses one color, orange and the rest is gray and black and white. It looks a lot like wood cuts and water colors. ( )
  gmorgan14 | Feb 16, 2016 |
To my mother and father
Three soldiers trudged down a road in a strange country.
"Such a soup! How good it smelled! Truly fit for a king. But then the peasants asked themselves, 'Would not such a soup require bread-and a roast-and cider?"

First published in 1947, this picture book classic has remained one of Marcia Brown's most popular and enduring books. This story, about three hungry soldiers who outwit the greedy inhabitants of a village into providing them with a feast, is based on an old French tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:21 -0400)

When three hungry soldiers come to a town where all the food has been hidden, they set out to make soup of water and stones, and all the town enjoys a feast.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,948,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible