Stone Soup by Marcia Brown

Stone Soup (edition 1947)

by Marcia Brown, Marcia Brown (Illustrator)

Member:silversurfer
Title:Stone Soup
Authors:Marcia Brown
Other authors:Marcia Brown (Illustrator)
Info:
Tags:Children's Books

Stone Soup by Marcia Brown

This story is about three soldiers who visit a village looking for food and a place to sleep. The villagers are wary of strangers and don't want to share their food, so they hide their food and tell the soldiers that they have none. The soldiers suggest that they make stone soup and say that the soup would taste wonderful with (this food) in it, and the villagers one by one go get the food and add it to the soup. At the end they have a huge feast and give the soldiers a place to sleep.

I like this story because I grew up listening to it. I would love to use it in my teaching because it is a great story about sharing and working together. I would use this story with children ranging in grade from Kindergarten to 3rd Grade. I would use it in lessons about cooperation or working together, sharing, and giving to the less fortunate.
  JeniseRedding | Oct 5, 2014 |
The main idea of this book is three monks convince a village of greedy people to share what they have. The themes are working together and giving. The author's message is that when you work together, you can accomplish more. ( )
  shaberstroh | Sep 22, 2014 |
Stone Soup by Marcia Brown is A Caldecott honor book. This story is also considered by many as "traditional" story as it has been told in many forms for many years. It is the story of a hungry soldier who comes to a small poor town and is told there is no food. The soldier states he can make a soup with just one stone. Soon the townspeople are each providi9ng one item from their homes in order to make the soup tastier. Eventually the people have a wonderful flavorful soup made of many ingredients. The people are surprised the soldier made a soup out of one stone.

The idea of the story is "if we all pull together we can accomplish anything even with "no food". It is a wonderful way to show children that if everyone chips in just a little and gives what they can, much can be accomplished. The pictures are not flashy or fancy. It is the text of the words themselves that capture the imagination.

Ways to extend this story would be to create a friendship soup. First the children could discuss what types of vegetables could be provided to create the soup. The parents could be encouraged to each sign up and bring one ingredient for the children to add to the soup. As the teacher, I provided the cooked hamburger and spaghetti sauce to the roaster pot while the students added the canned veggies. It was a tasty success. This was the perfect opportunity to invite the parents to come and share the soup with the students and for the students to share a few songs with the parents. The children completed a journal page about the event and a wall chart showing what they put into the pot. No child was left out as I made sure to have extra cans of veggies available. ( )
  imamarie | Sep 17, 2014 |
Three soldiers came to a town in hope for food and a place to sleep. The peasants of the village turned them away, but in the end the smart soldiers had the whole village laughing and eating together. All because of stone soup.
  SRThompson | Sep 8, 2014 |
I love how solders trick the towns people into helping to create a great soup. This would be a great story to use for story telling. I bought this book and it is stored on my Kindle.
  BeckyPugh | Jul 21, 2014 |
To my mother and father
Three soldiers trudged down a road in a strange country.
"Such a soup! How good it smelled! Truly fit for a king. But then the peasants asked themselves, 'Would not such a soup require bread-and a roast-and cider?"

First published in 1947, this picture book classic has remained one of Marcia Brown's most popular and enduring books. This story, about three hungry soldiers who outwit the greedy inhabitants of a village into providing them with a feast, is based on an old French tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:37 -0400)

When three hungry soldiers come to a town where all the food has been hidden, they set out to make soup of water and stones, and all the town enjoys a feast.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,362,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible