Stone Soup by Marcia Brown

Stone Soup (edition 1947)

by Marcia Brown, Marcia Brown (Illustrator)

Member:silversurfer
Title:Stone Soup
Authors:Marcia Brown
Other authors:Marcia Brown (Illustrator)
Info:Charles Scribner's Sons (1947), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 48 pages
Tags:Children's Books

Stone Soup by Marcia Brown

This is a cute book about three soldiers who are looking for food and shelter among a peasant village. The peasants fear strangers and hide their food. But the soldiers outsmart everyone and come up with the idea to make stone soup in a huge pot. The peasants contribute different things to the soup, making it delicious. Everyone works together to make the soup a success, and the peasants come to like the soldiers. ( )
  rpazmino-calligan | Nov 30, 2014 |
The Caldecott medal
  UCV-RE | Nov 10, 2014 |
I loved this story for a two reasons. First, I loved that the illustrations were simple yet interesting. I also admired the fact that illustrations and the text fit together perfectly. For example, it was clear that the peasants were excited and happy that the soldiers were making a “magic” soup out of stones. Their facial expressions and body posture were well depicted through the illustrations. Second, I loved the plot. The plot was definitely humorous and engaging. I especially loved the part where the peasants were happy to give the soldiers ingredients for the soup, such as carrots or beef, even though they all just gave the soldiers excuses as to why they cannot give them any food. It was very funny to see the peasants being tricked by the soldiers throughout the book. After reading this book, I found that the big idea is to always help your neighbors when they need it. ( )
  GaiaGonzales | Nov 4, 2014 |
This story is about three soldiers who visit a village looking for food and a place to sleep. The villagers are wary of strangers and don't want to share their food, so they hide their food and tell the soldiers that they have none. The soldiers suggest that they make stone soup and say that the soup would taste wonderful with (this food) in it, and the villagers one by one go get the food and add it to the soup. At the end they have a huge feast and give the soldiers a place to sleep.

I like this story because I grew up listening to it. I would love to use it in my teaching because it is a great story about sharing and working together. I would use this story with children ranging in grade from Kindergarten to 3rd Grade. I would use it in lessons about cooperation or working together, sharing, and giving to the less fortunate.
  JeniseRedding | Oct 5, 2014 |
The main idea of this book is three monks convince a village of greedy people to share what they have. The themes are working together and giving. The author's message is that when you work together, you can accomplish more. ( )
  shaberstroh | Sep 22, 2014 |
To my mother and father
Three soldiers trudged down a road in a strange country.
"Such a soup! How good it smelled! Truly fit for a king. But then the peasants asked themselves, 'Would not such a soup require bread-and a roast-and cider?"

First published in 1947, this picture book classic has remained one of Marcia Brown's most popular and enduring books. This story, about three hungry soldiers who outwit the greedy inhabitants of a village into providing them with a feast, is based on an old French tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:37 -0400)

When three hungry soldiers come to a town where all the food has been hidden, they set out to make soup of water and stones, and all the town enjoys a feast.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,369,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible