Stone Soup by Marcia Brown

Stone Soup (edition 1947)

by Marcia Brown, Marcia Brown (Illustrator)

1,314905,924 (4)17
Member:silversurfer
Title:Stone Soup
Authors:Marcia Brown
Other authors:Marcia Brown (Illustrator)
Info:Charles Scribner's Sons (1947), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 48 pages
Tags:Children's Books

Stone Soup by Marcia Brown

Stone Soup is a folklore, about corporation and community. The artwork is cheery and colored in black brown and orange. Though it lacks rhyme, it is still whimsical. It is about three soldiers return home from war, they are tired and hungry, and they come a pond a village. The villagers were not happy to have the soldiers come into their town; afraid the soldiers would take all their food, therefore they hid their food. Once the solders realized that, the villagers were unwilling to help them out, they devised a plan that would include the villagers, and they decided to make stone soup. Soon the villagers started to work together to make the stone soup. This story shows that we do not always have to be weary of strangers and if we work together as a community, we can accomplish many great feats.
Person reflection:
The first time I heard this story, I was work as a special education assistant, and the teacher was reading to the class as part of her lesson plan. I love watching the student’s expressions as each villager place a new item in to the pot. One little girl even licked her lips in anticipation. I look forward to reading to my class.
Extension ideas:
1. One thing that can be done is have each student bring a food item to make a cold soup (trail mix).
2. Have them act out the story as we made the cold soup.
3. Have them tell me a time that they helped someone or when someone helped them. ( )
  sparrowtlw | Feb 11, 2015 |
This is one of my all time favorite books. It tells the story of some hungry soldiers just coming back the war. They search high and low in the villages and ask the peasants for food. None of the peasants have enough food to share so the soldiers decided to cook a giant pot of "stone soup." They add all different kinds of ingredients and each of the peasants contributes something little to the soup. Soon they have a giant, delicious pot of soup to share with the whole village. Everyone is fed and this book shows a lesson of how important community is. If everyone contributes something, the whole community as a whole can benefit. I really enjoyed this book and it is a simple read that has a unique story. This is an example of a modern fantasy book. ( )
  sarahetuemmler | Feb 8, 2015 |
In this story, three hungry soldiers come to a village of peasants to look for food and a place to sleep. When the town hears they are coming they all hide their food and get their excuses ready. The soldiers catch on to what is happening and tell them all they will just have to make stone soup. The peasants were intrigued to learn what stone soup was so they helped them get it started. Once the pot of water with the stones had begun to boil the soldiers started saying that the soup would be fit for a king if it had a few things added such as: salt and pepper, cabbage, carrots, barley, milk, meat, and potatoes.Once it was complete they all dined together and the people let the soldiers have very nice beds to sleep in just because they shared their secret of "stone" soup. I really thought this brought the people together that had many things individually but were very hungry and poor. It showed them that rather working together could be more beneficial to everyone. This book could be used to teach life lessons about sharing and working together. ( )
  emedwards | Feb 6, 2015 |
This is a cute book about three soldiers who are looking for food and shelter among a peasant village. The peasants fear strangers and hide their food. But the soldiers outsmart everyone and come up with the idea to make stone soup in a huge pot. The peasants contribute different things to the soup, making it delicious. Everyone works together to make the soup a success, and the peasants come to like the soldiers. ( )
  rpazmino-calligan | Nov 30, 2014 |
The Caldecott medal
  UCV-RE | Nov 10, 2014 |
To my mother and father
Three soldiers trudged down a road in a strange country.
"Such a soup! How good it smelled! Truly fit for a king. But then the peasants asked themselves, 'Would not such a soup require bread-and a roast-and cider?"

First published in 1947, this picture book classic has remained one of Marcia Brown's most popular and enduring books. This story, about three hungry soldiers who outwit the greedy inhabitants of a village into providing them with a feast, is based on an old French tale.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:37 -0400)

When three hungry soldiers come to a town where all the food has been hidden, they set out to make soup of water and stones, and all the town enjoys a feast.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,658,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible