Devotion and Defiance: My Journey in Love,…

Devotion and Defiance: My Journey in Love, Faith and Politics

by Humaira Awais Shahid

721,138,814 (4)None

I wrote a review and published it here: http://wp.me/p382tY-5G
Check it out! ( )
  Calavari | Jun 7, 2016 |
This was the book chosen for our June's book club pick. It was interesting and okay. Not my kind of reading, but I learned a lot about Pakistan Parliament, a lot. To me, the parliament piece dragged so slow and while it was interesting to read about the corruption and how she had to continue fighting to get her laws passed, it bored me.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/74100.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Jun 25, 2014 |

An inspiring personal story by the most prominent Muslim woman activist and legislator for women’s rights in Pakistan.

In the fall of 2001, a newlywed English professor took on a job editing the “women’s section” of one of Pakistan’s leading Urdu newspapers. She soon transformed pages of celebrity gossip and fashion advice into a vehicle for the investigation of the true lives of Pakistani women. News of acid attacks on hapless women, the trading of girls as currency in tribal disputes, and other abuses transformed this young mother into a fiery advocate for women’s rights—one guided by Islamic ethics and ideals of social justice as she taught rural leaders to distinguish between religion and tribal custom. Her commitment to her countrywomen led her to a seat in the Provincial Assembly of the Punjab, where she fought to protect women, girls, and the poor.

Humaira Awais Shahid’s extraordinarily warm and passionate voice provides remarkable insight into how Islamic values and ethics might yet be a vehicle for progressive change in the developing world.

8 pages of photographs

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:02 -0400)

In this warm and intimate memoir, Humaira Awais Shahid tells her inspiring story. A bookish young woman who identified with the independent-minded heroines of Jane Austen and Virginia Woolf, she never dreamed that love would lead her to become the most prominent Muslim woman activist and legislator for women's rights in Pakistan. After falling for the son of a prominent newspaper family, Shahid joined the family business. She soon revamped the insipid "women's pages" of one of Pakistan's leading newspapers into a crusading force for exposing the abuses suffered by Pakistani women and girls. Determined to bring meaningful change to the lives of Pakistan's most disenfranchised, she sought and won a seat on the Punjab Provincial Assembly. There, she rose above collective apathy and targeted intimidation to battle corruption, champion bold legislation, change minds and claim breathtaking victories. In the end, faith and family would sustain her conviction that it takes just one person to better the lives of many.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,742,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible