Little Princess by Frances Hod Burnett

Little Princess (original 1905; edition 2002)

by Frances Hod Burnett (Author)

12,028187367 (4.23)1 / 399
Sara Crewe, a pupil at Miss Minchin's London school, is left in poverty when her father dies but is later rescued by a mysterious benefactor.
Member:gamomx8
Title:Little Princess
Authors:Frances Hod Burnett (Author)
Info:Barnes Noble Books (2002), Edition: Later Printing., 253 pages

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Author) (1905)

English (183)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (187)
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Seven year old Sara Crewe lives with her dad in India and is his pride and joy. Her father is rich and she is never exposed to any other life. As with other children, however, she must go to school in England, as the climate in India was seen to be unhealthy for children. She is taken to Miss Minchin's school. There she meets other girls who are from less wealthy families and not accustomed to children like Sara.
When news of her father's death reaches Miss Minchin, she realizes that Sara is no longer wealthy and Sara is then treated like a servant.
The story of Sara's life in England is told beautifully. The reader can almost feel the emotions Sara feels and the hardships she endures. This book is worth the read ( )
  henrog | Jun 10, 2020 |
I really enjoyed this book and debated between 4 and 5 stars. I chose it because apparently I'm on an orphan-girl-as-protagonist kick. I recently read and enjoyed Pollyanna (1913); read but got annoyed at the dialogue in Anne of Green Gables (1908) sorry, Anne fans; and now A Little Princess (1905, but first serialized from 1877-1888). I don't want to forget adding Jane Eyre (1847). She's a bit more grown up, but oh my word what an incredible book.

I'm re-reading some of these titles from my childhood, and reading others for the first time both for my own enjoyment and pre-reading to get a sense on when to introduce them to my children. I agree with the sentiment that a "children's book" is worthwhile if you can enjoy it at any age.

So. Back to Sara Crewe as A Little Princess. The character is endearing, and at times she absolutely broke my heart. I think a sensitive child listening or reading the book would be rightly concerned about some of the character's circumstances, and I'd think some great discussions would come from this book on empathy, the Golden Rule, children in the Victorian and Edwardian eras, and also the power of a good imagination. The benefit of reading great books to call upon them at a later time. Etc.

So many interesting aspects.

Sara as a character isn't quite believable to me. It's as if she transcends what it means to be a child, but also what it means to be a person. The others in the book realize that Sara is "queer" and that there's really something special about her. But, Sara teaches us some incredible life lessons by example and she also serves as a device to lend commentary about children, and children in servitude in that era.

I absolutely want to experience A Little Princess again, this time with my kids. We own the Audible and kindle version, and I started out last month with playing the audio, but I switched to reading it just to myself. I think as a read-aloud, I might want my middle child to be oh, 7-8? Maybe? We'll see. The language is accessible, with some period language that will need defined on the fly.

For me, I need to decide what's next. I could stay with Frances Hodgson Burnett and re-read (from like, 20 years ago?) The Secret Garden, or maybe try her first work, Little Lord Fauntleroy.

Eventually, I will probably keep with the orphan girl theme and read Heidi. Plenty of orphans in literature, my word (and of course, Harry Potter in modern day). ( )
  kaciereads | Apr 9, 2020 |
So I loved this story and all, and still go back to re-read portions, but has anyone noticed that the author can't do math? We're told Sara arrives at the school at seven ("a wardrobe much too grand for a child of seven") and that she spends the next ten years wealthy and treated more like a "distinguished guest" than a student. Which should put her at age 17 when her fortunes change. Yet we're told that she learns of her father's death at her eleventh birthday party. Also, if the ten-year timeline is followed, if Lavinia starts out at age thirteen, she would have been in her twenties when Sara went to live in the attic, and unlikely to still have been a student at the school, and at that point Lottie should have been in her teens and thus able to keep a secret. ( )
  Jennifer708 | Mar 21, 2020 |

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is an expanded version of

Has as a study

Once on a dark winter's day, when the yellow fog hung so thick and heavy in the streets of London that the lamps were lighted and the shop windows blazed with gas as they do at night, an odd-looking little girl sat in a cab with her father, and was driven rather slowly through the big thorough-fares.
When people are insulting you, there is nothing so good for them as not to say a word - just look at them and think...when you will not fly into a passion, people know you are stronger than they are, because you are strong enough to hold in your rage and they are not, and they say things they wish they hadn't said afterwards. There's nothing so strong as rage, except what makes you hold it in - that's stronger.
Never did she find anything so difficult as to keep herself from losing her temper when was suddenly disturbed while absorbed in a book. People who are fond of books know the feeling of irritation which sweeps over them at such a moment. The temptation to be unreasonable and snappish is one not easy to manage.
If Nature has made you for a giver, your hands are born open, and so is your heart; and though there may be times when your hands are empty, your heart is always full, and you can give things out of that -- warm things, kind things, sweet things -- help and comfort and laughter -- and sometimes gay, kind laughter is the best help of all.
"Perhaps," she said, "to be able to learn things quickly isn't everything. To be kind is worth a great deal to other people. If Miss Minchin knew everything on earth and was like what she is now, she'd still be a detestable thing, and everybody would hate her. Lots of clever people have done harm and have been wicked. Look at Robespierre -- "
Sara Crewe, or What Happened At Miss Minchin's, the work on which A Little Princess is based, was first written as a serialized novella. It was published in St. Nicholas Magazine in 1888.

A kind and wealthy Anglo-Indian girl in a posh British boarding school becomes impoverished after the death of her father and is forced to become a servant at the school, living in an unheated garret, overworked and underfed. Then a mysterious benefactor comes to her rescue.
A rich little girl
becomes an orphan and slave
but stays positive.
(marcusbrutus)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437018, 0141321121, 0141341718

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101107, 1400108896

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,401,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible