A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

A Little Princess (original 1905; edition 1987)

by Frances Hodgson Burnett, Tasha Tudor (Illustrator)

7,988132406 (4.23)1 / 324
Member:hemlokgang
Title:A Little Princess
Authors:Frances Hodgson Burnett
Other authors:Tasha Tudor (Illustrator)
Info:HarperTrophy (1987), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Children, Film, England

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett (1905)

English (129)  German (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (132)
I remember watching the movie version when I was little and finding it to be so fanciful and dreamy that the story has stayed with me even into adulthood.

Suppose...just suppose that one day I become a mother. Oh how I would hope that my baby was a little daughter with whom I could share such charming stories. Wouldn't it be grand? ( )
  Mozzie | Jan 15, 2015 |
The way Sarah is portrayed is completely unrealistic, in my opinion. I mean, people like her because she can speak perfect French and she has a personal maid? Puh-lease. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett; (5*)

This tale has ever been a favorite of mine. I read it for the first time in 2nd grade, checking it out of the school library. I read it 2 or 3 times a year until I reached my teens and then cut back to once a year, always over the Christmas holidays. By that time I had my own copy and what a treasure that book was to me. As an adult I have continued to read it every few years. This book just fills up some empty space in my heart & soul.
It is the story of a very different kind of princess than one might imagine; a motherless child, Sara Crewe, whose father always called her his little princess. When he was called away to fight in the Crimean War he took her to an elite girl's school run by one arrogant Miss Minchin & her cowardly sister. She was their most exclusive student and most all of the girls wanted to be her friend including one very timid scullery maid, Becky, for Sarah was the only girl there to befriend her.
When her papa dies penniless, having lost all of his wealth, Sara is forced to give up her schooling, to clean & run errands for the Miss Minchins, (throwing her out in the streets would put their school in a very bad light) & scuttle coal as Becky did. They took all of her pretty clothes & dolls away from her and made her live in a cold, leaky attic room under the eaves of the house. She and Becky soon made up a code whereby they could communicate with each other by knocking on the wall between their rooms. Even though Sara is always cold, never has enough to eat and is friendless except for Becky, she remains the same sweet little girl who was her father's 'little princess'.
The man in the neighboring house took a great interest in the girls, especially Sara, and his rooms looked right into hers. It is very interesting how, in the book, his life becomes engaged with hers.
The Little Princess is a beloved story tale as are all of the writings of Frances Hodgson Burnett and it happens to be my favorite. This is a wonderful story even for adults and for those of us nearing or going into our 'second' childhood.
I very highly recommend it. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Dec 27, 2014 |
Final Reflection
  auntiepants88 | Dec 3, 2014 |
The ending was a little overly drawn out, and I was a little disappointed at what I assume are British issues of class (like how things turn out for Becky), but otherwise this is a delightful book. We'd been listening to the audiobook in the car and yesterday my five-year-old son raced out of our homeschool co-op saying, "Hurry, Mommy! I want to get to the car fast because I'm really getting into A Little Princess!"

The idea of having an internal compass to guide our behavior and attitudes despite our external circumstances is a powerful one and one that's really got me thinking about how I live my own comfortable but non-princessy life. I'll write more about that part of the review on my blog, but for Goodreads, I'll just say this book was a joy for both of my children and for me. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Dec 1, 2014 |

Piffard, HaroldIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rust, GrahamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tudor, TashaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vielhomme-Callais, PauletteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once on a dark winter's day, when the yellow fog hung so thick and heavy in the streets of London that the lamps were lighted and the shop windows blazed with gas as they do at night, an odd-looking little girl sat in a cab with her father, and was driven rather slowly through the big thorough-fares.
When people are insulting you, there is nothing so good for them as not to say a word - just look at them and think...when you will not fly into a passion, people know you are stronger than they are, because you are strong enough to hold in your rage and they are not, and they say things they wish they hadn't said afterwards. There's nothing so strong as rage, except what makes you hold it in - that's stronger.
Never did she find anything so difficult as to keep herself from losing her temper when was suddenly disturbed while absorbed in a book. People who are fond of books know the feeling of irritation which sweeps over them at such a moment. The temptation to be unreasonable and snappish is one not easy to manage.
If Nature has made you for a giver, your hands are born open, and so is your heart; and though there may be times when your hands are empty, your heart is always full, and you can give things out of that -- warm things, kind things, sweet things -- help and comfort and laughter -- and sometimes gay, kind laughter is the best help of all.
"Perhaps," she said, "to be able to learn things quickly isn't everything. To be kind is worth a great deal to other people. If Miss Minchin knew everything on earth and was like what she is now, she'd still be a detestable thing, and everybody would hate her. Lots of clever people have done harm and have been wicked. Look at Robespierre -- "
Sara Crewe, or What Happened At Miss Minchin's, the work on which A Little Princess is based, was first written as a serialized novella. It was published in St. Nicholas Magazine in 1888.

A kind and wealthy Anglo-Indian girl in a posh British boarding school becomes impoverished after the death of her father and is forced to become a servant at the school, living in an unheated garret, overworked and underfed. Then a mysterious benefactor comes to her rescue.

AR 6.0, Pts 11

Generations of children have treasured the story of Sara Crewe, the little girl who imagines shes a princess in order to survive hard times at Miss Minchins London boarding school. Now, this classic novel is available in two beautiful new collectors editions. With Tasha Tudors enchanting black-and-white illustrations, and lovely details like a satin ribbon marker and glorious full-color plates in the hardcover, these new editions of A Little Princess are must-haves for anyone who wants to rediscover the magic of this beloved story.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:40 -0400)

Sara Crewe, a pupil at Miss Minchin's London School, is left in poverty when her father dies, but is later rescued by a mysterious benefactor.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437018, 0141321121, 0141341718

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,721,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible