A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

A Little Princess (original 1905; edition 1987)

by Frances Hodgson Burnett, Tasha Tudor (Illustrator)

8,450146366 (4.23)1 / 347
Member:hemlokgang
Title:A Little Princess
Authors:Frances Hodgson Burnett
Other authors:Tasha Tudor (Illustrator)
Info:HarperTrophy (1987), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Children, Film, England

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett (1905)

English (141)  German (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (144)
Book downloaded from gutenberg.org

The other night I was thinking of movies and remembered loving the Shirley Temple movie about a little orpan girl and I wanted to watch it again..I couldn't for the lift of me remember the name of the movie so I spent some time googling and realized that not only was it a movie I wanted to see but a book I would probably enjoy as well. When I saw the publication date was more than 70 years ago I decided to see if gutenberg.org had a copy of it while I wait for my hardcopy to arrive. I downloaded it Sunday afternoon and have been reading it every spare moment that I can use my home computer.

The book is so much better than I remember the movie being (which isn't saying much since it's been 15 years since I last watched it), but I plan on watching both the original & the new version of the movie sometime after I finish the book.

twileteyes | Feb 4, 2016 |
This classic of children’s literature tells the story of Sara Crewe, the only daughter of a wealthy military man and his deceased French wife. Because her papa is stationed in India and Sara is getting to an age where she requires more formal education, Captain Crewe places her at Miss Minchin’s Select Seminary for Young Ladies in London. It will be a trial to be separated, but they will both be brave and soldier on. Sara is to have every comfort and quite a few extravagances, because she is so very dear to her father. Tragedy strikes while Sara and her papa are separated, and her circumstances are drastically altered. Still, she continues to conduct herself in the gracious and somewhat regal manner befitting a princess. Her imagination, determination, intelligence, kindness to others and indominatable spirit see her through.

It’s a lovely story for children. Originally published in 1905, it may be dated for today’s youth. Still, I think this will still hold great appeal for the target group – young girls, ages 5-8, would probably enjoy it most. It’s been filmed a couple of times. I fondly remember the Shirley Temple version (though the ending was different).

The audio book is perfectly performed by Justine Eyre. She has just the right tones for both the children (though her voice for Sara sounds a bit “old” to my ear) and the adults in the story. I love her Becky! Her enthusiasm when Sara is spinning her stories is infectious; you can really hear how the little girls listening to Sara would be totally caught up in the fantasy. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 2, 2016 |

Piffard, HaroldIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rust, GrahamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tudor, TashaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vielhomme-Callais, PauletteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once on a dark winter's day, when the yellow fog hung so thick and heavy in the streets of London that the lamps were lighted and the shop windows blazed with gas as they do at night, an odd-looking little girl sat in a cab with her father, and was driven rather slowly through the big thorough-fares.
When people are insulting you, there is nothing so good for them as not to say a word - just look at them and think...when you will not fly into a passion, people know you are stronger than they are, because you are strong enough to hold in your rage and they are not, and they say things they wish they hadn't said afterwards. There's nothing so strong as rage, except what makes you hold it in - that's stronger.
Never did she find anything so difficult as to keep herself from losing her temper when was suddenly disturbed while absorbed in a book. People who are fond of books know the feeling of irritation which sweeps over them at such a moment. The temptation to be unreasonable and snappish is one not easy to manage.
If Nature has made you for a giver, your hands are born open, and so is your heart; and though there may be times when your hands are empty, your heart is always full, and you can give things out of that -- warm things, kind things, sweet things -- help and comfort and laughter -- and sometimes gay, kind laughter is the best help of all.
"Perhaps," she said, "to be able to learn things quickly isn't everything. To be kind is worth a great deal to other people. If Miss Minchin knew everything on earth and was like what she is now, she'd still be a detestable thing, and everybody would hate her. Lots of clever people have done harm and have been wicked. Look at Robespierre -- "
Sara Crewe, or What Happened At Miss Minchin's, the work on which A Little Princess is based, was first written as a serialized novella. It was published in St. Nicholas Magazine in 1888.

A kind and wealthy Anglo-Indian girl in a posh British boarding school becomes impoverished after the death of her father and is forced to become a servant at the school, living in an unheated garret, overworked and underfed. Then a mysterious benefactor comes to her rescue.

AR 6.0, Pts 11
A rich little girl
becomes an orphan and slave
but stays positive. (marcusbrutus)

Generations of children have treasured the story of Sara Crewe, the little girl who imagines shes a princess in order to survive hard times at Miss Minchins London boarding school. Now, this classic novel is available in two beautiful new collectors editions. With Tasha Tudors enchanting black-and-white illustrations, and lovely details like a satin ribbon marker and glorious full-color plates in the hardcover, these new editions of A Little Princess are must-haves for anyone who wants to rediscover the magic of this beloved story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

Sara Crewe, a pupil at Miss Minchin's London School, is left in poverty when her father dies, but is later rescued by a mysterious benefactor.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437018, 0141321121, 0141341718

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101107, 1400108896

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,081,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible