A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

A Little Princess (original 1905; edition 1987)

by Frances Hodgson Burnett, Tasha Tudor (Illustrator)

9,429161310 (4.23)1 / 363
Member:hemlokgang
Title:A Little Princess
Authors:Frances Hodgson Burnett
Other authors:Tasha Tudor (Illustrator)
Info:HarperTrophy (1987), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Children, Film, England

A Little Princess [adapted] by Frances Hodgson Burnett (1905)

English (158)  German (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All (161)
I watched this movie so much as a child and I always loved it.
I'm glad I finally tackled this.

I want to be a princess too. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
Novel Discussion Assignment
  kmcfadden | Jun 10, 2017 |
Katie
  LoBiancoBuzzard | Apr 4, 2017 |
Sara Crewe was too fae and perfect for my liking in this book, especially when the brilliant film-version was my bread-and-butter growing up and had been my expectation. Also aware, though, that the film has the wish-fulfilment of her father still being alive, which pulls so many emotional cords and I think worked fantastically, but is also a significant deviation. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
This is the most heart-wrenching stories i've read so far! I cried throughout Sara's suffering yet her demeanour on carrying herself impeccably well and believing that she is a princess, fighting off the adversity and not sitting back, mulling over it makes me like her even more!! When i was young and in school, i would always feel lonely even when with friends...i had different thinking and i loved books as well, sadly none of the other girls did as much, so, it was always a very lonely time. I would talk to imaginary friends, and pretend i was in different places. Reading it through Sara's narration, made me feel close to her and the thought that i wasnt the only one who would make up things so i would not break my own spirit carried me through boarding! I wouldnt say there were not good times, but you end up having some nasty characters around and esp, when you are young and think these ordeals would never end. I went back in time and thought how good it would have been had i ever read 'A Little Princess' when i was going through similar circumstances! Im glad i did now. My memories would surely cheer me up!
This is the best book i've read recently. Sara's courage, pluckiness and her ability to stay herself with her virtues, compassion makes her a very real and lovable character! ( )
  Sharayu_Gangurde | Jan 19, 2017 |

Piffard, HaroldIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rust, GrahamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tudor, TashaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vielhomme-Callais, PauletteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once on a dark winter's day, when the yellow fog hung so thick and heavy in the streets of London that the lamps were lighted and the shop windows blazed with gas as they do at night, an odd-looking little girl sat in a cab with her father, and was driven rather slowly through the big thorough-fares.
When people are insulting you, there is nothing so good for them as not to say a word - just look at them and think...when you will not fly into a passion, people know you are stronger than they are, because you are strong enough to hold in your rage and they are not, and they say things they wish they hadn't said afterwards. There's nothing so strong as rage, except what makes you hold it in - that's stronger.
Never did she find anything so difficult as to keep herself from losing her temper when was suddenly disturbed while absorbed in a book. People who are fond of books know the feeling of irritation which sweeps over them at such a moment. The temptation to be unreasonable and snappish is one not easy to manage.
If Nature has made you for a giver, your hands are born open, and so is your heart; and though there may be times when your hands are empty, your heart is always full, and you can give things out of that -- warm things, kind things, sweet things -- help and comfort and laughter -- and sometimes gay, kind laughter is the best help of all.
"Perhaps," she said, "to be able to learn things quickly isn't everything. To be kind is worth a great deal to other people. If Miss Minchin knew everything on earth and was like what she is now, she'd still be a detestable thing, and everybody would hate her. Lots of clever people have done harm and have been wicked. Look at Robespierre -- "
Sara Crewe, or What Happened At Miss Minchin's, the work on which A Little Princess is based, was first written as a serialized novella. It was published in St. Nicholas Magazine in 1888.

A kind and wealthy Anglo-Indian girl in a posh British boarding school becomes impoverished after the death of her father and is forced to become a servant at the school, living in an unheated garret, overworked and underfed. Then a mysterious benefactor comes to her rescue.
A rich little girl
becomes an orphan and slave
but stays positive.
(marcusbrutus)

Generations of children have treasured the story of Sara Crewe, the little girl who imagines shes a princess in order to survive hard times at Miss Minchins London boarding school. Now, this classic novel is available in two beautiful new collectors editions. With Tasha Tudors enchanting black-and-white illustrations, and lovely details like a satin ribbon marker and glorious full-color plates in the hardcover, these new editions of A Little Princess are must-haves for anyone who wants to rediscover the magic of this beloved story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

Sara Crewe, a pupil at Miss Minchin's London School, is left in poverty when her father dies, but is later rescued by a mysterious benefactor.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0142437018, 0141321121, 0141341718

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101107, 1400108896

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,178,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible