The Cape Ann (Contemporary American Fiction)…

The Cape Ann (Contemporary American Fiction) (original 1988; edition 1989)

by Faith Sullivan

Member:mrssweetiebear
Title:The Cape Ann (Contemporary American Fiction)
Authors:Faith Sullivan
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (1989), Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:****1/2
Tags:read 2013

The Cape Ann (Contemporary American Fiction) by Faith Sullivan (1988)

Wonderful story. The author obviously took her time writing it. Loved all the details of the time period. Story is set in the late 30's to early 40's. Everytime I picked it up the present just slipped away from me. I found the characters and their stories believable and all fit nicely into the main story. This would have been a five star read for me but I thought Lark's thought process as well as her vocabulary were that of someone older. I almost didn't pick up this book thinking it was going to be some sappy unrealistic feel good story but I read another review that stated something along those same lines which is why I gave it a try. Really glad I did. ( )
  flippinpages | Nov 1, 2013 |
The young narrator in this story has a special place she can go in her mind when her "sins", of which she keeps a running list, seem overwhelming. This place is found in a book of house plans that hold the promise of a happier life for Lark. Everyone needs a sanctuary, especially when one's life is as dreary as 6-year-old Lark's. With a father who squandered their meager resources and regularly beat her for biting her fingernails, it's a wonder she wasn't even more messed up. Thank goodness her mother developed a backbone and stood up to her bully of a husband. A fast read, and, due to a smidgen of hope near the end, it's not as depressing as it sounds. ( )
  Donna828 | Mar 20, 2009 |
The Cape Ann is the name on the plans of the house that Lark Ann Ehrhart and her mother plan to build some day. It is the place to which six-year-old Lark escapes in daydreams when her parents begin to argue, the home that her mother dreams of far from the rooms in the train depot where they live and Lark's father works. Ultimately it symbolizes escape from Harvester, Minn., and independence from the husband and father whose gambling repeatedly sabotages their dream. Lark narrates the adult events of Harvester's Catholic culture without always understanding them. Her point of view adds depth to the story, though occasionally it is more adult than a six year old's would be. Characters are fully colored; historical references firmly set the story in the Depression and beyond. Lark's perceptions, her changes and those of the characters around her will relate to those YAs, who will enjoy Sullivan's flowing and well-crafted story. Sally Bates, Houston Pub . Lib .
  CollegeReading | Feb 27, 2008 |
The Cape Ann is a book that has stayed with me, even though it’s been at least ten years since I first read it. The characters are so vividly drawn and the historical references ring so true that the story resonates within you.
The Cape Ann is the name on the plans of the house that six year old Lark Ann Ehrhart and her mother plan to build some day. It is the place where Lark escapes in daydreams when her parents begin to argue, the home that her mother dreams of far away from the rooms in the train depot where they live and Lark's father works. In the final analysis the house represents escape from Harvester, Minn., and independence from the husband and father whose gambling repeatedly sabotages all their dreams. Lark narrates the adult events without always understanding them; her point of view adds depth to the story, though occasionally it is too adult. Lark’s mother, Arlene ,is an example of what motherhood should be, but too often isn’t. She loves her daughter selflessly and strives to teach her by example. This is a complex and diverse novel that is a wonderful, emotional read. ( )
  siubhank | Oct 8, 2007 |
Great author. This book lingered in my mind for a long time. ( )
  krsball | Mar 22, 2007 |
For Maggie, Ben, and Kate
"Next year at this time, I want carpenters working on our house," Mama said.

Lark Erhardt, the six-year-old narrator of The Cape Ann, and her fiercely independent mother dream of owning their own house; they have their hearts set on the Cape Ann, chosed from a house catalog. But when Lark's father's gambling threatens the down payment her mother has worked so hard to save, Lark's mother takes matters into her own indomitable hands. A disarmingly involving portrait of a family struggling to stay together through the Great Depression, The Cape Ann is an unforgettable story of life from a child's-eye view. (back of book)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,346,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible