The Golem of Hollywood by Jonathan Kellerman

The Golem of Hollywood

by Jonathan Kellerman, Jesse Kellerman

I really enjoyed this book. I like the way Kellerman merged the concept of the golem with his take on the Garden of Eden story. The combination of these elements with a murder investigation was very smoothly done and the result is a lovely book. If this one stays in print long enough to become a classic I could imagine it being reprinted with one of those pretty covers they give to modern editions of great classic novels. Such a cover would be more fitting than the one chosen for this edition.

(I received my copy of this book free in exchange for a fair review.) ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
Outside the quirky writing style that fell flat of its intent, this novel had potential and grew interesting only to let me down by the end with its lack of sense, closure with relevance to the story and as I call it: A-ha factor. I'm a definite fan of Mr. Kellerman, just not of his son's injection. I'm always remiss, giving less than 3 stars, writing is fretful hard work, but I'd be doing a disservice giving anything more. ( )
  Deankut | Sep 26, 2016 |
The book fails miserably at at trying to combine mystery, thriller, fairy tail, and religious plot. A total waste of time. ( )
  lewilliams | Aug 13, 2016 |
From Amazon:

A burned-out L.A. detective . . . a woman of mystery who is far more than she seems . . . a grotesque, ancient monster bent on a mission of retribution. When these three collide, a new standard of suspense is born. The legend of the Golem of Prague has endured through the ages, a creature fashioned by a sixteenth-century rabbi to protect his congregation, now lying dormant in the garret of a synagogue. But the Golem is dormant no longer.

My Thoughts:

I have been a long time fan of Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series so I was interested in this new book that was written with his son Jesse. The styles of the father and son writers are very different, thus creating the feeling of a lack of closure, as I felt each one had a different idea of the story being told. There were too many loose ends, and it all felt rather gimmicky, instead of a seamless blending of different moods. However I will say that it will make an excellent book club book, as those loose ends provide numerous opportunities for discussion about the meaning of this or that, and why these characters said or behaved the way they did. As for me...I'll stick with Alex Delaware and Milo Sturgis.
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I like the way Jonathan Kellerman writes description and dialogue, which is the only reason I finished reading it. By 50%, I realized that I detest all of the characters. These are morally bankrupt people who don't improve or learn from their mistakes.

I expected some sort of theme or message that would become clear by the book's resolution, but nope. Nothing there. ( )
  Abby_Goldsmith | Feb 10, 2016 |

Jonathan Kellermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kellerman, Jessemain authorall editionsconfirmed

“An extraordinary work of detection, suspense, and supernatural mystery. I spent three days totally lost in the world Jonathan and Jesse Kellerman have created. This is brilliant, page-turning fiction with mythic underpinnings that give it a special resonance; a rare collaboration where the sum is truly greater than the parts. The book is like nothing I’ve ever read before. It sort of took my breath away.”—Stephen King

From Jonathan Kellerman, the #1 New York Times–bestselling author and master of psychological suspense, and Jesse Kellerman, the international #1 bestselling author of The Genius, comes one of the most remarkable novels of the year.

Detective Jacob Lev wakes one morning, dazed and confused: He seems to have picked up a beautiful woman in a bar the night before, but he can’t remember anything about the encounter, and before he knows it, she has gone. But this mystery pales in comparison to the one he’s about to be called on to solve. Newly reassigned to a Special Projects squad he didn’t even know existed, he’s sent to a murder scene far up in the hills of Hollywood Division. There is no body, only an unidentified head lying on the floor of a house. Seared into a kitchen counter nearby is a single word: the Hebrew for justice.

Detective Lev is about to embark on an odyssey—through Los Angeles, through many parts of the United States, through London and Prague, but most of all, through himself. All that he has believed to be true will be upended—and not only his world, but the world itself, will be changed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:20 -0400)

Waking up beside a beautiful woman he has no memory of meeting, Detective Jacob Lev investigates a Hollywood Division murder case involving a severed head, an ominous message in Hebrew and the legend of the Golem of Prague.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jonathan Kellerman's book The Golem of Hollywood was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,018,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible