The Getaway God: A Sandman Slim Novel by…

The Getaway God: A Sandman Slim Novel (2014)

by Richard Kadrey

Series: Sandman Slim (6)

Still enjoyable.. but perhaps not as good as some of the earlier ones. ( )
  LaurieGienapp | Dec 8, 2017 |
This was fun. It could be the end of the series but doesn't have to be. It's not a bad stopping place if Kadrey is tired of writing these characters. But, it can continue, too.

It amused me that in the middle of a drought in California, the book is set in a monsoon in LA. ( )
  Kitty.Cunningham | Jul 19, 2017 |
Stark investigates a serial killer who makes churches out of body parts, plays head games (badly) with his nemesis, and deals with fragments of God. ( )
  rivkat | Jan 11, 2017 |

I enjoyed this and I have no idea why. A bunch of characters we've grown to like, preventing yet another apocalypse set in a post-paradise-lost urban fantasy San Francisco. Sprinkle with swering and violence.

1 vote StigE | Sep 15, 2015 |
Stark has to try to sort out the Angra Om Ya, the old gods, who plan to destroy our universe, without using any of the very very destructive tools at his disposal. He's now working with the Golden Vigil and they're vaguely happy with that, some more than others. He's trying to be good, to cooperate but things aren't always easy and his habit of acting first and asking forgiveness later is going to catch up with him eventually.

One of the things he's chasing is a serial killer who looks like he's a man Stark exiled to a lower level of hell, and if he's back Stark really wants him dead, again.

It's not bad, felt a little tired but was an interesting read. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Aug 31, 2015 |

Richard Kadreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crush CreativeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szafranski, Paula RussellDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The stood on the far shore of a river and called to him. Tattered gods slouching in their rags across the waste.

--Cormac McCarthy, The Road
"I'm very brave generally," he went on in a low voice: "only to-day I happen to have a headache."

--Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
This book was finished on William S. Burroughs's one-hundredth birthday. This one is for you, Bill.
"That's for me, isn't it? I'm going to Hell."
"Don't feel so bad. It beats Fresno."

"It's not easy being a half-human, half-angel nephilim with a bad rep and a worse attitude who also has to learn to be human again after 11 years in Hell and a brief stint as Lucifer (yep). But that's the least of James Stark/Sandman Slim's worries. For the old gods, the Angra Om Ya, are poised to invade. LA is descending into chaos. And the Wildfire Ripper is stalking the city. No ordinary killer, he takes Stark deep into a conspiracy that stretches from Earth, to Heaven and Hell. The Ripper might be only person alive who knows how to save the world, but he's also Stark's worst enemy, the only man in existence Stark would happily kill twice"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,450,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible