Bald New World by Peter Tieryas Liu

Bald New World (edition 2014)

by Peter Tieryas Liu (Author)

Member:parasolofdoom
Title:Bald New World
Authors:Peter Tieryas Liu (Author)
Info:Perfect Edge (2014), 229 pages
Tags:dystopia, science fiction

Bald New World by Peter Tieryas Liu

ARC (1) Asia (1) bald (1) dnf (1) dystopia (3) ebook (2) extremely awful (1) fiction (2) Folio Award (1) GR Import (1) Kindle (1) mystery (1) own (1) science fiction (4) sf (1) thriller (1) to-read (12)

Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-qn
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-qn ( )
  Saretta.L | Feb 12, 2015 |
Didn't finish. I read about half of this book and gave up. The plot, at least what I read of it, is just a mess. For me, it was over when the protagonist is captured and tortured by a religious cult. After what seems like several days of captivity, he is released and challenged with a test; carry this stone in your mouth while you walk out of town. If you drop it three times, you die. If you make it, you go free, (because, "...it's God's will that you should not repent your sins...", ...hoo-kaaayyy-then...).

Upon making it out of town, teeth shattered and bleeding from clenching on this stone, (no kidding, the paragraphs of detail about splintering teeth and blood-flow making the stone slippery leaves no doubt as to the condition of the guy's teeth), he collapses unconscious into a river. Upon awakening on the shore, (I guess he's a 'sleep-swimmer'), he is confronted by the previously vicious and deranged leader of the cult - who now treats him with respect and gives him water and porridge. As if that isn't ridiculous enough, then comes... well, let's just give you the text straight from the page, "I waited a few minutes, making sure he was gone. Then I took the bottle and drank the whole thing down. I devoured the porridge, greedily chewing." Wait. What? I thought I just read all about how his teeth were splintering and breaking on the stone desperately clamped between his jaws. How could he possibly chew food after that? This was only one of many eye-rolling moments - but this was the big one that made me stop reading.

To be fair, the author does write in an easy-going style that is easy to read and there were a couple of laugh-out-loud one-liners early in the story. There is also the glimmer of an interesting tale here. But the little bit of good stuff is overwhelmed by the bigger issues.

I received this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I wanted to like it more than I did. ( )
  ScoLgo | Jan 31, 2015 |
i received this book for free through Goodreads first reads.
Brilliant, funny, intriguing. I don't have any more words to describe this marvelous piece of art. Yes art, cause to make somebody laugh and feel good it's an art and this book did this and more. ( )
  Sarah.Hansrote | May 24, 2014 |

Peter Tieryas Liu is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,498,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible