The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

The Silkworm

by J.K. Rowling Robert Galbraith

Series: Cormoran Strike (2)

Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (keywestnan)
    keywestnan: Like Robert Galbraith, aka J.K. Rowling, Kate Atkinson excels at creating interesting, complex but believable characters in her series of novels about Jackson Brodie, a cop-turned-private detective. Case Histories is the first in the series -- not my absolute favorite but they're all really good and I think you should start at the beginning.… (more)
    The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (Eowyn1)

English (166)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (170)
Robin and The Silkworm So I just finished listening to the audiobook of The Silkworm and I think the narrator did a much better job in this book then he did in the first. The first book seemed so monotonous but in this one the narrator seems to really find the right voice for each character. Plus in the first book, it seemed like the suspect interviews went on and on and on whereas they were toned down more in this story so maybe that was the issue. Overall, I enjoyed this story more then the first. It kept my attention alot more throughout and I just love Robin, Strike's assistant. She is definitely my favorite character. Following her career and love life is just as much, if not more fun, then following the mystery itself! I have high hopes for her and Strike and her career as a P.I. so I will definitely listen to the next book just to find out what happens with her. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |

Originally posted here

Cormoran and his assistant Robin are back trying to solve the mystery of the disappearance of writer Owen Quine. Cormoran's character is still really interesting to me and I love his gruff and gritty ways. He isn't perfect, he is perhaps slightly misogynistic at times but I just love him. Robin's backstory and personality needs a lot more development as she just doesn't leap off the page for me. I am so sick of Robin's fiancé drama, Matthew is highly annoying and he seemed to have quite a large irritating presence in this book. I also kind of secretly ship Strike and Robin, I really do so Matthew needs to get the boot asap.

Unfortunately I did not like The Silkworm as much as The Cuckoo's Calling as I found the politics of the world of writers, agents, novels and publishers just insufferably dull. I just didn't really care about it and after about halfway through, the constant re-interviews of really boring characters grated on me. There is a lot of repetition of pubs, Strike's painful leg, football matches. I felt like there was a lot of unnecessary filler to the narrative. However, I really enjoyed the reveal as I genuinely could not have guessed but afterwards I was kind of kicking myself that I missed pivotal clues early on. One thing I can definitely say is that the whodunit mystery is very well crafted, it's just my personal taste that I just wasn't that interested by the politics of the publishing world. ( )
  4everfanatical | Aug 22, 2016 |
Thou entanglest thyself in thine own work like a silkworm - John Webster

Cormoran Strike's private detective agency is enjoying prestige and increased business secured by the success of the Lula Landry case in The Cuckoo's Calling. In this, the second of the series, Galbraith brings a darker investigation involving an author who is killed by the same method described in his latest, as yet unpublished book, a book that is scathing in its description of his friends. The colourful characters are well-drawn and the murder is satisfyingly grisly. But what Rowling does best is in the details: the cold weather is believable; whether the restaurant is upscale or greasy spoon, the reader experiences the surroundings; the physical and emotional scars of Strike's devastating injury in Afghanistan are achingly transparent. A minor criticism is that towards the end of the book some scenes were drawn out too much with a long interview that reduced the impact of the resolution. However, I look forward to the next instalment and hope that the series continues for a long time. Cormoran Strike and his sidekick Robin are currently my favourite detective pairing. ( )
  VivienneR | Aug 17, 2016 |
Compulsively readable, meticulously plotted, and highly enjoyable. A fun read! ( )
  nikkinmichaels | Aug 16, 2016 |
Funny how after Harry Potter, J. K. Rowling keeps writing about miserable and/or horrible people. ( )
  doryfish | Aug 15, 2016 |
In the case of “The Silkworm,” it’s clear that two narrow genres of literature have been the source of inspiration: the old-fashioned detective story with its careful parsing of evidence; and the Jacobean play, renowned for its biting satire and dark fascination with betrayal and revenge, death and cruelty and corruption.

J.K. Rowling Robert Galbraithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stjernfelt, Agnete DorphTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, SianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wunder, DietmarErzählersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...blood and vengeance the scene, death the story,
a sword imbrued with blood, the pen that writes,
and the poet a terrible buskined tragical fellow,
with a wreath about his head of burning match instead of bays.

The Noble Spanish Soldier
Thomas Dekker
To Jenkins, without whom... he knows the rest
QUESTION
What dost thou feed on?
ANSWER
Broken sleep.
Thomas Dekker, The Noble Spanish Soldier
'Someone bloody famous,' said the hoarse voice on the end of the line, 'better've died, Strike.'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316206873, Hardcover)

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days-as he has done before-and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home.

But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives-meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced.

When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before... A compulsively readable crime novel with twists at every turn, THE SILKWORM is the second in the highly acclaimed series featuring Cormoran Strike and his determined young assistant, Robin Ellacott.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days--as he has done before--and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home. But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives--meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced. When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,402,501 books! | Top bar: Always visible