The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

The Silkworm

by Robert Galbraith

Series: Cormoran Strike (2)

Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (keywestnan)
    keywestnan: Like Robert Galbraith, aka J.K. Rowling, Kate Atkinson excels at creating interesting, complex but believable characters in her series of novels about Jackson Brodie, a cop-turned-private detective. Case Histories is the first in the series -- not my absolute favorite but they're all really good and I think you should start at the beginning.… (more)
    The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (Eowyn1)

English (88)  Dutch (3)  French (1)  All languages (92)
I liked this one a lot better than the Cuckoo's Calling. I appreciated that it had more depth in the plot and the characters are developing more. I still felt the book dragging at a few points and started getting a bit repetitive. Perhaps 50-100 fewer pages wouldn't have hurt the storyline and would have left me wanting more, not less. ( )
  The_reading_swimmer | Jun 21, 2015 |
Is it as good as The Cuckoo's Calling? Of course not, nothing is, but it's still a superb novel. Believable characters and an interesting plot. The pacing is just superb. It never bogs down. Seriously, just look at the bit where Robin goes to the funeral. In the hands of every other author you'd get a family scene interlude but here you have character and plot development rolled into one.

In the first book a lot of the characters were reminiscent of real famous Brits, never close enough to be libellous. I don't know enough about publishing to judge if that is going on here but I hope it is. I did notice that two of the characters are called Kathryn Kent and Pippa Midgley and I wondered if this was a very cheeky (and perverse) reference to the Middleton sisters.

And the whole thing just feels real. I've spent some time in London and she really captures the size and variety of the place. ( )
1 vote Lukerik | Jun 1, 2015 |
I enjoyed it slightly more than the first in the series. The characters solidified a bit more and the mystery was fine. Rowling backed off on telling us that Strike had figured out something a bit, which was welcome.

A decent, solid mystery for me with interesting series characters. Worth reading if you enjoy the genre. ( )
1 vote TadAD | May 27, 2015 |
Stopped part way thro - too many repeated issues from the first story. Seemed to get into name dropping, instead of developing the story line. Got just plain bored with it. ( )
  Pmaurer | May 15, 2015 |
I admire a writer who keeps me turning the pages even as a part of my mind is saying "Wait a minute, would that really happen?" and "Why aren't there any likable characters except Robin?" and "How many times are we going to have to hear that Strike's leg hurts"? (The answer to that last question seems like hundreds.) It is cold in London in winter. That, too, is not left in doubt.

Robert Galbraith, aka J. K. Rowling, turns a jaundiced eye on the publication business this time. With a few exceptions, everyone is awful. The murder victim is as repulsive as the suspects. The ending was set up nicely (much better than the big reveal in the Cuckoo's Calling), but I didn't buy into the psychology of it.

This book is compulsively readable though. No question. ( )
  pennwriter | Apr 27, 2015 |
In the case of “The Silkworm,” it’s clear that two narrow genres of literature have been the source of inspiration: the old-fashioned detective story with its careful parsing of evidence; and the Jacobean play, renowned for its biting satire and dark fascination with betrayal and revenge, death and cruelty and corruption.

Robert Galbraithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Glenister, RobertNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, SianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...blood and vengeance the scene, death the story,
a sword imbrued with blood, the pen that writes,
and the poet a terrible buskined tragical fellow,
with a wreath about his head of burning match instead of bays.

The Noble Spanish Soldier
Thomas Dekker
To Jenkins, without whom... he knows the rest
QUESTION
What dost thou feed on?
ANSWER
Broken sleep.
Thomas Dekker, The Noble Spanish Soldier
'Someone bloody famous,' said the hoarse voice on the end of the line, 'better've died, Strike.'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316206873, Hardcover)

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days-as he has done before-and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home.

But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives-meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced.

When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before... A compulsively readable crime novel with twists at every turn, THE SILKWORM is the second in the highly acclaimed series featuring Cormoran Strike and his determined young assistant, Robin Ellacott.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days--as he has done before--and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home. But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives--meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced. When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,902,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible