The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

The Silkworm

by J.K. Rowling Robert Galbraith

Series: Cormoran Strike (2)

Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (keywestnan)
    keywestnan: Like Robert Galbraith, aka J.K. Rowling, Kate Atkinson excels at creating interesting, complex but believable characters in her series of novels about Jackson Brodie, a cop-turned-private detective. Case Histories is the first in the series -- not my absolute favorite but they're all really good and I think you should start at the beginning.… (more)
    The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (Eowyn1)

English (158)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (162)
I have to say that I loved this book. I thought about giving it four stars but couldn't think of a reason why I shouldn't give it five. So there you go. ( )
  amcheri | Jul 12, 2016 |
The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling) is a novel I enjoyed. It's an interesting read and I can recommend it, but not to people looking for a good, traditional detective story.

The conclusion is convoluted with very few clues leading up to it. It feels as if Galbraith fabricated an elaborate ending because it was time to end the book rather than having the story unfold naturally. Also, the reason Cormoran Strike believes his client is innocent has no support within the narrative. I've read other crime stories where people act on gut feelings alone, but I don't think it's a good technique.

What makes up for these problems are the complex relationships among the characters. Robin and Matthew (her fiancé) have an interesting relationship because Robin's ambition is to become good at detective work, a dangerous occupation. She wants to help Strike in ways beyond answering his phone and recording his appointments. This presents a problem for Matthew who wants her out of harm's way. It's a great dilemma, because it's easy to see both sides and because it causes friction between Matthew and Strike.

Then there's the relationship between Leonora and Orlando, her special needs child. Leonora doesn't have much of a personality, but she comes alive when she deals with her daughter and it's beautiful to see.

Finally, there is the relationship between Strike and Alexander, his half brother. Al is the legitimate child, a fact which bothers Strike, but Al does everything he can to make their relationship work. And Strike's occupation leads to some tricky requests for favors.

Steve Lindahl – author of Motherless Soul and White Horse Regressions ( )
  SteveLindahl | Jul 11, 2016 |
Very enjoyable book in the Cormoran Strike series. This time a writer has been murdered and again it's up to Strike to figure out who the murderer is because the police have arrested the wrong person. We learn more about Robin in this book and some of Cormoran's friends and family. One thing I didn't like is that Strike's prosthesis keeps hurting his knee and his knee keeps swelling up. I would think that he would have one that fits properly. I think there is too much emphasis on his leg. We get it, he lost it from an IED in Afghanistan. I think the focus needs to be on what he is doing. Yes, the leg hinders some of what he can do but the reader knows this and it was emphasized way too much, it was almost like an obsession to keep mentioning it.

The way the writer died was gross and I was suspicious of the murderer but I thought what was wrong with them was something different. There were some twists and turns. I will have to think about it some to digest more of what happened. I'm still a little confused on where the title of the book came into play.

I'm looking forward to the next installment. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 11, 2016 |
This was a good follow up to The Cuckoo’s Calling in that it really fleshed out the series' two main characters, Strike and his assistant Robin. The plot was tight, the characters believable and the identity of the killer was a complete surprise to me at the end. What more could I ask for? ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Slow to catch my attention, but when it did, I was in. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
In the case of “The Silkworm,” it’s clear that two narrow genres of literature have been the source of inspiration: the old-fashioned detective story with its careful parsing of evidence; and the Jacobean play, renowned for its biting satire and dark fascination with betrayal and revenge, death and cruelty and corruption.

J.K. Rowling Robert Galbraithprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stjernfelt, Agnete DorphTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, SianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wunder, DietmarErzählersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...blood and vengeance the scene, death the story,
a sword imbrued with blood, the pen that writes,
and the poet a terrible buskined tragical fellow,
with a wreath about his head of burning match instead of bays.

The Noble Spanish Soldier
Thomas Dekker
To Jenkins, without whom... he knows the rest
QUESTION
What dost thou feed on?
ANSWER
Broken sleep.
Thomas Dekker, The Noble Spanish Soldier
'Someone bloody famous,' said the hoarse voice on the end of the line, 'better've died, Strike.'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316206873, Hardcover)

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days-as he has done before-and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home.

But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives-meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced.

When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before... A compulsively readable crime novel with twists at every turn, THE SILKWORM is the second in the highly acclaimed series featuring Cormoran Strike and his determined young assistant, Robin Ellacott.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days--as he has done before--and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home. But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives--meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced. When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,586,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible