The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

The Silkworm

by Robert Galbraith

Series: Cormoran Strike (2)

Recently added bylauragpie, pkiester, jkrzok, johnny_merc, private library, mrsrobin, Booksen, dorie.craig, Mario0627
    Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (keywestnan)
    keywestnan: Like Robert Galbraith, aka J.K. Rowling, Kate Atkinson excels at creating interesting, complex but believable characters in her series of novels about Jackson Brodie, a cop-turned-private detective. Case Histories is the first in the series -- not my absolute favorite but they're all really good and I think you should start at the beginning.… (more)
    The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (Eowyn1)

English (184)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All (188)
Perfect detective story and characters to spend time with. ( )
  BridgitDavis | May 26, 2017 |
The deliciously British detective thriller follow-up to The Cuckoo's Calling from Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling). Following the disappearance of semi-famous novelist Owen Quine, Cormoran Strike is hired by the writer's wife to bring him out of hiding. However, the discovery of a brutally mutilated body and a malicious and vulgar manuscript penned by the deceased has Strike drawn into an investigation more twisted than he could ever imagine. With a decidedly more gruesome crime to investigate than in the first novel, the unforgettable Strike and his fierce assistant Robin continue to carry on their unconventional methods of piecing together the puzzle and managing to outsmart the police yet again. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
Cormoran Strike gets hired by Leonora Quine to find her missing husband Owen Quine. He is an author that has a tendency to disappear from time to time. But Strike soon learns that there is more to Quine's disappear when he finds out that he has written a book where he pretty much insult everyone around him.

This book was so much better than the first book. The story in this book; the case was much more interesting and I didn't know in the end was the culprit. The only thing I can think of that bothered me with the book felt a bit long sometimes, not that I was bored by it, but I felt sometimes it could be a bit long-winded and my interest dropped a bit because of all the characters that Strike had to investigate and all the past history between them that Strike needed to figure out. But it could be because I really wanted to know who did it!

Strike and Robin are such a great team and I'm looking forward to reading more books with them. (without Matthew of course) ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
I have thoroughly enjoyed the richness of both of the Strike novels. It's adult mystery literature at its best. ( )
  kallai7 | Mar 23, 2017 |
It's not Harry Potter fantastic, but I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed the attempt at including real literature; however, I doubt this strange work by Owen Quine would ever be important. I wonder if the book's events reflect the world of publishing. This is the second work of Galbraith's I've read. I never can figure out who did what, not like Cormoran can. I never have any clue who's done what by the end until Cormoran tells me.

I guess my childhood dream of being a super detective would never pan out for me. :) ( )
  laura.w.douglas | Mar 9, 2017 |
In the case of “The Silkworm,” it’s clear that two narrow genres of literature have been the source of inspiration: the old-fashioned detective story with its careful parsing of evidence; and the Jacobean play, renowned for its biting satire and dark fascination with betrayal and revenge, death and cruelty and corruption.

Galbraith, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stjernfelt, Agnete DorphTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, SianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wunder, DietmarErzählersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...blood and vengeance the scene, death the story,
a sword imbrued with blood, the pen that writes,
and the poet a terrible buskined tragical fellow,
with a wreath about his head of burning match instead of bays.

The Noble Spanish Soldier
Thomas Dekker
To Jenkins, without whom... he knows the rest
QUESTION
What dost thou feed on?
ANSWER
Broken sleep.
Thomas Dekker, The Noble Spanish Soldier
'Someone bloody famous,' said the hoarse voice on the end of the line, 'better've died, Strike.'

A missing author
turns up murdered – Cormoran
Strike investigates.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316206873, Hardcover)

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days-as he has done before-and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home.

But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives-meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced.

When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before... A compulsively readable crime novel with twists at every turn, THE SILKWORM is the second in the highly acclaimed series featuring Cormoran Strike and his determined young assistant, Robin Ellacott.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days--as he has done before--and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home. But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives--meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced. When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,235,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible