The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

The Silkworm

by Robert Galbraith

Series: Cormoran Strike (2)

Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (keywestnan)
    keywestnan: Like Robert Galbraith, aka J.K. Rowling, Kate Atkinson excels at creating interesting, complex but believable characters in her series of novels about Jackson Brodie, a cop-turned-private detective. Case Histories is the first in the series -- not my absolute favorite but they're all really good and I think you should start at the beginning.… (more)
    The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (Eowyn1)

English (169)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (173)
Found as 2015 Shamus Award Finalist. BOOK not in Merlin. Second in series. Sample available.. ( )
  rwt42 | Sep 25, 2016 |
I've bought this book not knowing it was written by J.K. Rowling herself. I just liked the synopsis and it has been a while since I've read a crime novel.

I'm going to tell you the truth. I promised myself not to buy a book that exceeds 350 pages because some writers include un-necessary details that make the novel somehow boring but I got this book which is over 450 pages and I was never bored at all. On the contrary. I liked reading it slowly to enjoy reading every detail, every sentence, every conversation. It was really interesting and It has been a while since I've read a book this good.

This is supposed to be the 2nd book for Agent Comoran Strike series. The first book was called The Cuckoo's Calling which I haven't read yet and I'm planning to. The good thing is that you can read the 2nd book without reading the 1st book and getting lost. Only few bits about the main character's life which you can follow follow up with easily.

All the characters in this book were amazing. Each had its own characteristics and persona. You get to suspect them all from their actions and the words they say in the book. The suspense that Agent Strike creates moving from character to another and analysing what he thinks and who's the killer and why he did it. So on...

A book within a book. The metaphors and what each character resembled in the novel inside this book were mind blowing. I loved it and I thought this was creative writing at its best.

I'm planning to read the first book asap and I will not stop reading for her as Robert Galbraith. ( )
  books.paper.mania | Sep 13, 2016 |
Robert Galbraith is J.K.Rawlings? wow. finished both the Cormoran strike books, loved them and wanted to learn a bit more about the author and I have to say, I am gobsmacked. I knew she had ventured away from the Harry Potter style of book but did not expect this. Thoroughly recommend it. ( )
  ossi | Aug 27, 2016 |
Robin and The Silkworm So I just finished listening to the audiobook of The Silkworm and I think the narrator did a much better job in this book then he did in the first. The first book seemed so monotonous but in this one the narrator seems to really find the right voice for each character. Plus in the first book, it seemed like the suspect interviews went on and on and on whereas they were toned down more in this story so maybe that was the issue. Overall, I enjoyed this story more then the first. It kept my attention alot more throughout and I just love Robin, Strike's assistant. She is definitely my favorite character. Following her career and love life is just as much, if not more fun, then following the mystery itself! I have high hopes for her and Strike and her career as a P.I. so I will definitely listen to the next book just to find out what happens with her. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |

Originally posted here

Cormoran and his assistant Robin are back trying to solve the mystery of the disappearance of writer Owen Quine. Cormoran's character is still really interesting to me and I love his gruff and gritty ways. He isn't perfect, he is perhaps slightly misogynistic at times but I just love him. Robin's backstory and personality needs a lot more development as she just doesn't leap off the page for me. I am so sick of Robin's fiancé drama, Matthew is highly annoying and he seemed to have quite a large irritating presence in this book. I also kind of secretly ship Strike and Robin, I really do so Matthew needs to get the boot asap.

Unfortunately I did not like The Silkworm as much as The Cuckoo's Calling as I found the politics of the world of writers, agents, novels and publishers just insufferably dull. I just didn't really care about it and after about halfway through, the constant re-interviews of really boring characters grated on me. There is a lot of repetition of pubs, Strike's painful leg, football matches. I felt like there was a lot of unnecessary filler to the narrative. However, I really enjoyed the reveal as I genuinely could not have guessed but afterwards I was kind of kicking myself that I missed pivotal clues early on. One thing I can definitely say is that the whodunit mystery is very well crafted, it's just my personal taste that I just wasn't that interested by the politics of the publishing world. ( )
  4everfanatical | Aug 22, 2016 |
In the case of “The Silkworm,” it’s clear that two narrow genres of literature have been the source of inspiration: the old-fashioned detective story with its careful parsing of evidence; and the Jacobean play, renowned for its biting satire and dark fascination with betrayal and revenge, death and cruelty and corruption.

Galbraith, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stjernfelt, Agnete DorphTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, SianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wunder, DietmarErzählersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...blood and vengeance the scene, death the story,
a sword imbrued with blood, the pen that writes,
and the poet a terrible buskined tragical fellow,
with a wreath about his head of burning match instead of bays.

The Noble Spanish Soldier
Thomas Dekker
To Jenkins, without whom... he knows the rest
QUESTION
What dost thou feed on?
ANSWER
Broken sleep.
Thomas Dekker, The Noble Spanish Soldier
'Someone bloody famous,' said the hoarse voice on the end of the line, 'better've died, Strike.'

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316206873, Hardcover)

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days-as he has done before-and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home.

But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives-meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced.

When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before... A compulsively readable crime novel with twists at every turn, THE SILKWORM is the second in the highly acclaimed series featuring Cormoran Strike and his determined young assistant, Robin Ellacott.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days--as he has done before--and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home. But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives--meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced. When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,180,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible