dismiss

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

The Silkworm

by Robert Galbraith

Series: Cormoran Strike (2)

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days--as he has done before--and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home. But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives--meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced. When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before.… (more)
    Case Histories by Kate Atkinson (keywestnan)
    keywestnan: Like Robert Galbraith, aka J.K. Rowling, Kate Atkinson excels at creating interesting, complex but believable characters in her series of novels about Jackson Brodie, a cop-turned-private detective. Case Histories is the first in the series -- not my absolute favorite but they're all really good and I think you should start at the beginning.… (more)
    The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (Eowyn1)

English (266)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (271)
Actually really enjoyed this book. I found it to be much better than The Casual Vacancy, its predecessor. There were several times this book reminded me of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. No necessarily the story, but perhaps the writing style.

Overall, very good book.
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
Cormoran Strike is back, and so is his resourceful sidekick Robin, a detective team that’s on its way to becoming as well known for its mystery-solving skills as Nick and Nora Charles of Thin Man fame, and Mikael Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander. An entertaining novel in which the most compelling characters are not the killer or the victim, but the detectives charged with solving the crime.

The murder mystery at the heart of The Silkworm is a genuine mystery with an altogether satisfying resolution. And even if, like me, you don’t read mysteries to solve the puzzle but to keep company with the detective on the case. (Galbraith’s not too shabby in the character department either). I found this novel to be many things besides a great detective novel: sharp, immensely readable, and warmhearted but coolheaded. The last line of The Silkworm, which will lift the hearts of readers who have come to love its sympathetic characters, offers the prospect of more of that joy both for Galbraith and for us.

The story is enthralling, not only for its twists and turns, but for the fun of the teamwork.… Each chapter draws us further into Cormoran Strike’s psyche, and makes us care more not just about the case getting solved, but about Strike being the one to solve it.

I thoroughly enjoyed staying up late each night, listening to the audiobook I'd borrowed from the library, expressly to listen to it while everyone else was sleeping.....then during the day, I'd go back and read specific passages on the Ebook I'd already bought some time ago, just to 'relive' what had happened. I find Galbraith's writing style SO comforting and familiar, and yet I felt the intense desire to keep going well past a respectable bedtime. I could not recommend this series enough, to anyone that loves a brilliantly well written, genius-ly plotted and well paced novel. Robert Glenister is the narrator.
5 huge stars, please read them. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
2* ( )
  gumnut25 | Apr 21, 2020 |
This kind of PI crime fiction is too pedestrian for me. Well enough written, couldn't really warm to the characters. ( )
  neal_ | Apr 10, 2020 |
I started reading this on a Thursday afternoon: I finished by Friday dinner time. I simply could not put it down, except for absolutely essential activities. Not bogged down with the background information of the first book in the series, the pace seemed almost a dead run from the start. The main characters are fleshed out, and you can't help but wonder when the conflicts which seem inevitable between them, will occur. Beast of all, for this veteran mystery lover, I was completely flummoxed by the actual villain; I went in a completely different direction! Can't wait for the next in this series! ( )
  OtownShorty | Mar 26, 2020 |
In the case of “The Silkworm,” it’s clear that two narrow genres of literature have been the source of inspiration: the old-fashioned detective story with its careful parsing of evidence; and the Jacobean play, renowned for its biting satire and dark fascination with betrayal and revenge, death and cruelty and corruption.

Galbraith, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stjernfelt, Agnete DorphTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, SianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wunder, DietmarErzählersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...blood and vengeance the scene, death the story,
a sword imbrued with blood, the pen that writes,
and the poet a terrible buskined tragical fellow,
with a wreath about his head of burning match instead of bays.

The Noble Spanish Soldier
Thomas Dekker
To Jenkins, without whom... he knows the rest
QUESTION
What dost thou feed on?
ANSWER
Broken sleep.
Thomas Dekker, The Noble Spanish Soldier
'Someone bloody famous,' said the hoarse voice on the end of the line, 'better've died, Strike.'

A missing author
turns up murdered – Cormoran
Strike investigates.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,529,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible